•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pointer eyepiece?

accessories eyepieces outreach
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pgs/sdg

pgs/sdg

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: 36°N, 92°W Ozark Mountains on the White River

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:26 PM

Is there such a thing as an eyepiece with a pointer in it?

An eyepiece with a moveable/rotatable pointing arrow.

If any here have used a microscope very much - you know what I mean. A small black pointer/arrow - that you can turn around the circumference of the FOV. 

As more and more folks are finding out about my observatory - I am having more and more groups over for outreach and educational programs. smile.gif  That's a good thing... I enjoy it... but I have noticed often when I want to point out a particular crater, rille, mountain or some moon feature - or even the belts of Saturn or Jupiter - it is sometimes difficult to direct people to exactly where to look. 

I wondered if anything like this has ever been produced?  Would it even be possible given varying focal lengths and styles/dimensions of eyepieces?

Seems like it would be a useful tool - if it exists - or could be done.  Seems like it would be hard to put something at the top of the EP - but perhaps some kind of a movable pointer that might screw into the bottom of the eyepiece where you would normally attach filters.

Just curious.... 

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:38 PM

You could point out features easily enough doing EAA/video astronomy. And several people could view at the same time.

Scott
  • tomwall and pgs/sdg like this

#3 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

You could attach a monitor your scope.

• tomwall and pgs/sdg like this

#4 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

I've always found it easy enough to describe the location of an object in the field to inexperienced observers as about 7 o'clock, half way out toward the edge from center, for example. That also allows the use of standard and better quality eyepieces and avoids expensive and potentially cumbersome add-ons.

Edited by havasman, 24 June 2019 - 04:44 PM.

• pgs/sdg likes this

#5 pgs/sdg

pgs/sdg

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

You could point out features easily enough doing EAA/video astronomy. And several people could view at the same time.

Scott

I haven't used it very much yet ...but I do have the Rev II camera system and a monitor I could use.. .just haven't done much with it yet... I tried it out on some DSOs and still need to learn a little more about the settings, etc. ...but that would probably be the best solution, at least for the moon.

And you're right...several could see at once and it would be easy to point out features.

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

Rev 2 is great for this kind of thing although I found the resolution and magnification a bit low for lunar/planetary. Might be different with a bigger scope.

Scott

#7 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

If any here have used a microscope very much - you know what I mean. A small black pointer/arrow - that you can turn around the circumference of the FOV. 

As more and more folks are finding out about my observatory - I am having more and more groups over for outreach and educational programs. smile.gif  That's a good thing... I enjoy it... but I have noticed often when I want to point out a particular crater, rille, mountain or some moon feature - or even the belts of Saturn or Jupiter - it is sometimes difficult to direct people to exactly where to look. 

I wondered if anything like this has ever been produced?  Would it even be possible given varying focal lengths and styles/dimensions of eyepieces?

Seems like it would be a useful tool - if it exists - or could be done.  Seems like it would be hard to put something at the top of the EP - but perhaps some kind of a movable pointer that might screw into the bottom of the eyepiece where you would normally attach filters.

Just curious.... 

I fully agree that this would be useful. Sorry to say I’ve never seen one, aside from the typical crosshair finder eyepieces. Then there’s the issue of “what focal length do we make it?” 

#8 pgs/sdg

pgs/sdg

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

I fully agree that this would be useful. Sorry to say I’ve never seen one, aside from the typical crosshair finder eyepieces. Then there’s the issue of “what focal length do we make it?” 

well, I kind of thought so...from my experiences using a microscope...but the more I thought about it - it seemed like it might really hard to manufacture because of the huge variance in EP design and focal length as you say. Then I thought it might be possible to have a screw in pointer at the base ..where you put your filters

For those who don't want to buy a camera system and point things out on a monitor - might be a solution of sorts. 

Probably too limited a market for EP makers!

#9 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

You mean like this? 

Thats Vega, pic taken with handheld iPhone. During twilight. The reticle is too dim to see at night. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 01857020-70E8-4F24-AA61-8716BCBE044F.jpeg

• pgs/sdg likes this

#10 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

There are such eyepieces, but they are made for microscopes.  Many of them work quite well with some longer f/r telescopes.  Most of them I've seen are the smaller 23mm size and 10x.  With adapters and a bit of tape, they will work with 1.25" visual backs.  Here's a link to just one source.  The 10x is about equivalent to a 25mm telescope eyepiece.

Charlie

• pgs/sdg likes this

#11 pgs/sdg

pgs/sdg

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:45 AM

You mean like this? 

Thats Vega, pic taken with handheld iPhone. During twilight. The reticle is too dim to see at night. 

yes... that would probably work okay on the moon since it is so bright...the reticle would probably show up pretty well.  I've never seen an EP with a reticle pattern like that. What is it used for...and of course, where'd you get it?

#12 pgs/sdg

pgs/sdg

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:47 AM

There are such eyepieces, but they are made for microscopes.  Many of them work quite well with some longer f/r telescopes.  Most of them I've seen are the smaller 23mm size and 10x.  With adapters and a bit of tape, they will work with 1.25" visual backs.  Heres a link to just one source.  The 10x is about equivalent to a 25mm telescope eyepiece.

Charlie

cool..thanks for the link. may give that a try. the microscope eyepiece pointers is what got me thinking about this in the first place.

#13 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:00 AM

https://www.cloudyni...eticle-35mm-fl/

• BFaucett likes this

#14 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

Just curious.... 

some eyepieces have illuminating reticles, but you would need tracking to keep it centered on what you were looking at.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, eyepieces, outreach

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics