•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Raspberry Pi 4 is out

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 hcf

hcf

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

https://www.raspberr...y-pi-4-model-b/

Some of the specs ...

Quad core Broadcom based Cortex A-72 SOC running at 1.5 GHz

Upto 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM

2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi 802.11ac

5.0 Bluetooth

Gigabit Ethernet

2 USB3.0 + 2 USB 2.0 ports.

Power through USB C  5V 3A (min), can also be powered through GPIO

Micro SD card

2 micro HDMI ports

$55 for the 4GB RAM version (board only).

Edited by hcf, 24 June 2019 - 07:03 PM.

• brave_ulysses, calypsob and bsavoie like this

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Good news ... and it will be interesting to see how fast there is a version 2 of the ASIAir and Stellarmate products (both are bundles with the Pi 3 hardware). 

The USB 3 support will be a big help for all those newer ZWO cameras, and the extra memory will be a good for faster plate solving and maybe some "live" stacking support (a wish for future software revisions).

It looks like some of the existing Pi software will need a week or two to be stabilized on this new platform but generally at each new hardware release it hasn't taken long for the software to catch up.

The best part - more capabilities for the same money.

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

USB 3 port is a good addition.  USB-C is certainly better for the power, but it is still a pain and may be even harder to find cables for.  I have a million micro USB cables around, but only a couple of USB-C cables and they are more expensive.  It would be so nice if they would just put a power button on the thing so that is could be standardized with all the cases.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

Must be selling like hotcakes as several distributors all show "Out of Stock" frown.gif

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:57 AM

USB 3 port is a good addition.  USB-C is certainly better for the power, but it is still a pain and may be even harder to find cables for.  I have a million micro USB cables around, but only a couple of USB-C cables and they are more expensive.  It would be so nice if they would just put a power button on the thing so that is could be standardized with all the cases.

Ed,

I was also surprised that they hadn't addressed that common concern - no on board on/off power switch. There is however a simple and inexpensive fix for the USB-C setup on the Pi 4 ... https://www.canakit....wer-switch.html

I wonder if someone will fit this type of solution into an inexpensive case for the Pi 4?

The Raspberry Pi folks are touting the -4 as a suitable platform for a home PC or similar commercial uses ... but you simply cannot expect everyday folks to constantly pull and plug the USB-C cable.

Edited by mclewis1, 25 June 2019 - 07:59 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#6 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

Will this work with existing power supplies?

Best Buy: Samsung - USB Type C-to-Micro USB adapter - White

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

It should, but remember the -4 want's as much as 3 amps if there are other USB devices plugged in. In the Pi 4's basic configuration it should run fine off of an older USB charger with that USB-C adapter.

#8 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

Just double-checking, but would this Powerpole adapter work then, as it seems to be 5v and 3 amps (and, obviously, would run an USB to USB-c cable)? https://powerwerx.co...-device-charger

Paul

Edited by psandelle, 25 June 2019 - 10:22 AM.

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:37 AM

Paul,

That's a sweet little setup - voltage regulator to provide the +5v @3amps from a range of input voltages ... plus with that nice 3 in one cable adapter. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work as a power source for the Pi 4.

It should be a product to consider for anyone wanting to run a Pi 4 (or any Pi or other USB powered system) in the wild off of a 12v battery.

#10 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

It's just such a nice small package, it's a shame to have to add a dongle to it or modify as case for it.  I think there are better alternatives to the plastic cases, especially with the extra heat this one is going to generate, and I would have hoped to avoid the case modifications that I have already done with the 3.

#11 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

Just double-checking, but would this Powerpole adapter work then, as it seems to be 5v and 3 amps (and, obviously, would run an USB to USB-c cable)? https://powerwerx.co...-device-charger

Paul

It should as long as the peak amperage does not jump above 3 amps, [which] it shouldn't.  There are lots of other voltage converters out there as well.

Edited by EFT, 25 June 2019 - 01:30 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#12 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:19 PM

Does anyone think this could work as a stand alone astrophotography capture device? I know some people are using the RPi3 with INDI but they are splitting things between the RPi and a computer/mac. I am wondering if the 4 would work on it's own with only a device to view/control the RPi4. 

I want to guide, plate solve, image, etc. 

ZWO1600MM-Cool

AP Mach1

ZWO FW

MoonLite autofocus

Starlight Xpress Guide

I'd probably run the 1600 DI into one USB 3 and run everything off the other USB3 via my USB 3 hub. 
I have been considering something like the Eagle but for $1000 I could get a good start on a processing PC build for that. 

#13 tcchittyjr

tcchittyjr

Explorer 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

Does anyone think this could work as a stand alone astrophotography capture device? I know some people are using the RPi3 with INDI but they are splitting things between the RPi and a computer/mac. I am wondering if the 4 would work on it's own with only a device to view/control the RPi4. 

I want to guide, plate solve, image, etc. 

ZWO1600MM-Cool

AP Mach1

ZWO FW

MoonLite autofocus

Starlight Xpress Guide

I'd probably run the 1600 DI into one USB 3 and run everything off the other USB3 via my USB 3 hub. 
I have been considering something like the Eagle but for $1000 I could get a good start on a processing PC build for that. 

TheSkyX for RPi works great. Does everything you're asking on an RPi 3+ with no noticeable slowness.

TomC

• George N, psandelle, bsavoie and 1 other like this

#14 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

TheSkyX for RPi works great. Does everything you're asking on an RPi 3+ with no noticeable slowness.

TomC

That's cool. $329 for SkyX and $150 for the camera/focuser control though... You could get a decent mini PC for that. Not sure that would be worth it to me. Also no guiding with your rig. That seems to be one of the biggest issues with RPi is keeping up guiding and sending corrections in a timely manner. 

#15 Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:51 AM

Just run Linus/Kstars/Ekos on it - $0 software cost.  Will easily do the image capture side of things.

• psandelle likes this

#16 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:07 AM

Just run Linus/Kstars/Ekos on it - $0 software cost. Will easily do the image capture side of things.

That’s what I’m thinking. But people keep reporting issues with things lagging, especially with guiding.

#17 giorgio_ne

giorgio_ne

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London, England

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

Paul

I’m using a rigrunner with built in USB ports capable of 4amps:

https://powerwerx.co...runner-4004-usb

#18 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. But people keep reporting issues with things lagging, especially with guiding.

This is usually from a couple of things. Slow internet connection (like weak WiFi signal), or transferring guiding images in the server/client mode. These things can be mitigated with a lan cable, or changing preferences to only transfer the image of the guide star, and not the whole guide image. 

Alternatively you can run the RPi unit not as a sever, but as the client itself, and remote into it through VNC from the desktop in your home. Given the cost of an RPi unit ($30) and free software, doesn’t hurt to experiment with it, and outside of Kstars/EKOS, there is Astroberry and other Linux solutions to try out.

• FiremanDan likes this

#19 Rocket_Stars

Rocket_Stars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

Looks promising for a standalone astrophotographers setup. 

Seems possible to add a external hard drive that can keep up with imagedatacollection. (usb-3)

• bsavoie likes this

#20 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:38 PM

This is usually from a couple of things. Slow internet connection (like weak WiFi signal), or transferring guiding images in the server/client mode. These things can be mitigated with a lan cable, or changing preferences to only transfer the image of the guide star, and not the whole guide image. 

Alternatively you can run the RPi unit not as a sever, but as the client itself, and remote into it through VNC from the desktop in your home. Given the cost of an RPi unit ($30) and free software, doesn’t hurt to experiment with it, and outside of Kstars/EKOS, there is Astroberry and other Linux solutions to try out.

Is offline platesolving possible? I don't want my little portable field computer running RPi to need an internet connection, rather I'd like my high gain USB Alfa antenna to run an adhoc network and broadcast an SSID. I'm not really sure why people want fast internet speeds on these things. I'd just update my apps and repositories through my LAN and connect to the box while I'm imaging through my tablet. 

#21 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

Good news ... and it will be interesting to see how fast there is a version 2 of the ASIAir and Stellarmate products (both are bundles with the Pi 3 hardware). 

The USB 3 support will be a big help for all those newer ZWO cameras, and the extra memory will be a good for faster plate solving and maybe some "live" stacking support (a wish for future software revisions).

It looks like some of the existing Pi software will need a week or two to be stabilized on this new platform but generally at each new hardware release it hasn't taken long for the software to catch up.

The best part - more capabilities for the same money.

ZWO reported in their FB group that they are working on updating their ASIAIR image to run on the RPi4. 

That's good...really good. The ASIAIR software is great and improving but all my problems with it have been due to hardware. I've been troubleshooting bad ports for a few days now after I flashed a new SD card and I'm pretty sure they are toast. I checked the current with a multimeter app on my phone. ZWO support doesn't help very much with hardware issues (it is a dinky Pi after all) and asking the official Facebook group for advice usually results in getting attacked by I are very smart folks blaming the user on man handling the device, or just being too derrrum dumb for it (I'm a network and systems engineer ha)

• mclewis1 and Phil Cowell like this

#22 han59

han59

Mariner 2

• Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

Is offline platesolving possible? I don't want my little portable field computer running RPi to need an internet connection, rather I'd like my high gain USB Alfa antenna to run an adhoc network and broadcast an SSID. I'm not really sure why people want fast internet speeds on these things. I'd just update my apps and repositories through my LAN and connect to the box while I'm imaging through my tablet. 

As soon my ordered Pi4 arrives, I intend to make a setup with CCDCiel for acquisition, PHD2 for guiding & ASTAP as local solver to test the performance of the Pi4. Even on a Pi3 with 1 GB this will work but the USB3.0 will makes a significant difference in image download speed. An USB3.0 memory stick could be used for image storage/transport and remote desktop for control over a low speed WiFi connection.

#23 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:55 PM

As soon my ordered Pi4 arrives, I intend to make a setup with CCDCiel for acquisition, PHD2 for guiding & ASTAP as local solver to test the performance of the Pi4. Even on a Pi3 with 1 GB this will work but the USB3.0 will makes a significant difference in image download speed. An USB3.0 memory stick could be used for image storage/transport and remote desktop for control over a low speed WiFi connection.

Yeah you can get blazingly fast USB flash drives these days like the SanDisk's Extreme Pro that has 400MB/s Read/Write. That's 4x faster than UHS-1 SD cards and I think that is worthwhile at about 1.5x the price per gigabyte of storage.

I myself am going to just buy the Stellarvue OS once they update it for RPi 4, probably this week or next. It has everything I enjoyed from the ASIAIR, but with way more function and customization. And I am a bit tired of overseas customer support. 

My Pi 4 [4gig] comes in two days and I'll have the holiday to tinker with it. I'll probably have a 'tinker' SD card and a Stellarvue card. My first priority will be to get a powered USB hub happily working, as I only have a 12v-5v@3 amp converter and each USB3 port draws a max of 900mAh. I've read Pi's don't play well with USB power draw for gear and don't play well for finding devices through hubs.

For those of you waiting for backorder until August, or later [That's crap. Don't do that!], there are Pi4 [4gigabyte RAM versions] available if you look around. 

https://www.okdo.com...i-4-4g-model-b/

#24 han59

han59

Mariner 2

• Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

I myself am going to just buy the Stellarvue OS once they update it for RPi 4, probably this week or next. It has everything I enjoyed from the ASIAIR, but with way more function and customization. And I am a bit tired of overseas customer support.

For those of you waiting for backorder until August, or later [That's crap. Don't do that!], there are Pi4 [4gigabyte RAM versions] available if you look around.

Installing software on the P4 by yourself is easy, makes you independent and could be more productive in the long run.

There is general shortage or high demand of the Pi 4. A few days ago I checked several official resellers in different countries and they all had zero stock. Two indicated "on stock" but showed somewhere else a  little hidden message that "due to the high amount the delivery could take longer then usual". After placing my order, the shipment was suddenly delayed from 28 June (within 2 days) to 12 July (14 days after placing order).

So before buying a Pi4 from a reseller with stock, I would suggest to phone the reseller if the Pi 4 is really in stock and they can deliver as indicated.

Han

Edited by han59, 01 July 2019 - 04:22 PM.

#25 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Vostok 1

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:48 PM

Installing software on the P4 by yourself is easy, makes you independent and could be more productive in the long run.

There is general shortage or high demand of the Pi 4. A few days ago I checked several official resellers in different countries and they all had zero stock. Two indicated "on stock" but showed somewhere else a little hidden message that "due to the high amount the delivery could take longer then usual". After placing my order, the shipment was suddenly delayed from 28 June (within 2 days) to 12 July (14 days after placing order).
So before buying a Pi4 from a reseller with stock, I would suggest to phone the reseller if the Pi 4 is really in stock and they can deliver as indicated.

Han

The site I linked has stock in their UK store

https://www.okdo.com...oice/pi4models/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics