•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problems controlling EQ6-R Pro with laptop [Solved]

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pinnacle90

pinnacle90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

I've had two nights uses with my new setup and I've had a few issues with the laptop side of things. I have gotten ASCOM and EQMod working (I think, I can atleast slew the mount with the EQMod control). The SynScan PC app also works perfectly fine. However, I have been unable to get PHD2 and Stellarium working. PHD2 will connect to camera and mount IF the mount is not connected to anything else. Stellarium is the same way (even when it or Stellarium Scope is connected, it won't slew/GoTo anything). I'm using the USB connection on the mount to hook directly to laptop (no HC). I have tried POTH with no success.

I apologize if I've left out any info needed to help out. I'm a bit unsure where to start to find where I've gone wrong, so if there's any other info needed, just let me know. Just a bit stumped here. My primary goal here is really just to get guiding working. And I'm not against having to switch back to the hand controller, but keeping laptop control WITH guiding working would be ideal. Thanks for any help!

edit: OKAY... a little embarrassed, but I believe I figured out the cause of some of the issues. Connecting to the correct ASCOM driver helps a lot! Still no luck with Stellarium, though.

Edited by pinnacle90, 24 June 2019 - 09:03 PM.

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

pinnacle90,

Check the following thread to see if something there will help. I have seen the symptoms you describe a couple of time before and the problem had to do with conflicting permission levels of the various software element and how they were installed.

https://www.cloudyni...th-sgp-and-phd/

If all else fails, you can resort to using the ASCOM POTH Hub (a software element for sharing connections) but that sometimes has complications also.

John

#3 pinnacle90

pinnacle90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:19 PM

I believe the issue was using the SynScan app and selecting the wrong driver in the chooser. It's rainy tonight, but I can now atleast connect to the mount with both PHD2 and the SynScan app. So thats a huge start, basically my primary goal here.

I would still love to get Stellarium (or another planetarium program) working. Once I do, I should only need SynScan for aligning right? (platesolving will come later, one thing at a time)

#4 jdupton

jdupton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

pinnacle90,

I have never used the SynScan App so I don't know for sure but I think you are correct.

Using EQMOD, you do not need another program for alignments. EQMOD has that feature built in. I use Cartes du Ciel as my planetarium program. It is fairly easy to get running and controlling the mount. I think Stellarium needs a plug-in added (StellariumScope) to get it to connect but again, I have no experience with that program. The LightVortex Website has a good tutorial on getting Stellarium running if you want to go that route.

John

Edited by jdupton, 24 June 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#5 pinnacle90

pinnacle90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:47 PM

Thanks John. I keep seeing CdC mentioned a lot. I think I’ll give it a try. I’m not set on Stellarium by any means.

Edit: guess i should have given CdC a try sooner.. took hardly any setup and works perfectly. Really looking forward to my next clear night now!

Edited by pinnacle90, 24 June 2019 - 09:02 PM.

#6 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

Thanks John. I keep seeing CdC mentioned a lot. I think I’ll give it a try. I’m not set on Stellarium by any means.

Edit: guess i should have given CdC a try sooner.. took hardly any setup and works perfectly. Really looking forward to my next clear night now!

CdC is the mainstay for most of use. 

However I would really encourage you to get plate solving figured out. 

It's the very first thing I do once I've got everything connected. 

Solve, slew to bright start, focus, start sequence.   (I'm on a pier so no PA necessary each night) 

But that sequence would be:

Slew to star 1, Center + Focus, Slew to star 2 + Center, Slew to star 3 + Center, Slew to target, center target, start sequence.

All I'm saying is the sooner the better as it cuts so much time out of your setup. 

#7 pinnacle90

pinnacle90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:38 PM

I really think I may. I see Astro Tortilla come up a bit. Would you recommend that program? I have SharpCap Pro which appears to support it. Judging by the forecast for the next couple of weeks, tinkering around on the computer end may be my best bet anyway.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics