•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Exos 1 quick fix for control cable blocking travel

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ReiSen

ReiSen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

Just a heads up on a quick fix for a potential problem on some Exos 1 mounts. On my first Exos 1 mount, my RA motor (bought separately) shipped with a right angle connector on the control cable so no problems. But the RA motor for my second Exos 1 arrived with a cable connector with no right angle bend at the plug (and a longish strain relief). Thus the cable coming off the RA motor interfered with the travel of the counterweight bar. Using a straight connector is a rather poor design decision, and that's the truth. Since it shipped from Germany I didn't feel like going through the bother of returns and such so determined to fix the issue in house.

In any case, I was able to track down a right angle adapter over at Zoro. Got it in today and it works fine. Its a "Crest Healthcare Station Saver 8 Pin DIN R", https://www.zoro.com...HOT_TYPE=SIMPLE

I considered buying a right angle 8 pin DIN plug from an electronics supply house, cutting off the old straight plug, and soldering in the new one, but cost-wise there wasn't much difference and this one works fine. Just ran it through its paces and every function of the controller is being transmitted correctly to the motor. The fit is very good too, looks and feels like a quality  piece of work. Frankly the workmanship is better than on the original control cable fittings....

Don't know if there is anyone else out there with an Exos 1 mount and this style of cable, but figured I'd just put the info out there in case. I really like the Exos 1 mount, it works well with my Celestron C6, Vixen A80MF, and Aquila 90mm F5.5, but this business with the RA motor control cable was vexing.

Best,

ReiSen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics