•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

YouTube livestream - new scope and imager

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mlrtime99

mlrtime99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:15 PM

Not sure if this is the best forum but I'm about to get a new scope and camera and I was wondering if a livestream sounded like a "fun" event.  Less of a how I do it and more taking advice from those with more experience via comments online.  It's a brisk 110 here in Phoenix so this would be less about image quality and more about sharing the processes/workflow that work best for others.

New gear is:
  Orion 190 MN
  ASI1600MM PRO
  ASI filter wheel
  ASI174MM with OAG

Right now I use SGP and a polemaster.

Looks like polls are disabled in this forum but let me know your thoughts or what you think a better experience might be.

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

Probably best suited to the EAA forum. I'll move the thread there.

#3 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

Sure, sounds like fun, go for it!

#4 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:15 AM

Wow!

I'd never have thought this was a good fit in an OAP sub-forum.  Using SGP which doesn't do what we want in terms of on-the-fly acquisition, stacking, and processing.  Wants tips on post-processing - which is sort of a no-no on this sub-forum.  It isn't even clear that the livestream would be while under the stars with the scope and camera?

All that said, why not try doing the livestream?  There's really nothing much to lose that way.

If you decide to do OAP (Observational AP) then you might want to consider using the Night Skies Network:  https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/  It is designed for viewing while observing and getting/giving tips/advice.

In any case, doing OAP (or at least using OAP acquisition methods/styles) will, IMHO, be increasingly the norm even if the intent includes heavy post-processing.  It's worth exploring even if the intent is ultimately more about Conventional AP.

Edited by OleCuss, 25 June 2019 - 05:21 AM.

#5 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:14 AM

Wow!

I'd never have thought this was a good fit in an OAP sub-forum.  Using SGP which doesn't do what we want in terms of on-the-fly acquisition, stacking, and processing.  Wants tips on post-processing - which is sort of a no-no on this sub-forum.  It isn't even clear that the livestream would be while under the stars with the scope and camera?

All that said, why not try doing the livestream?  There's really nothing much to lose that way.

If you decide to do OAP (Observational AP) then you might want to consider using the Night Skies Network:  https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/  It is designed for viewing while observing and getting/giving tips/advice.

In any case, doing OAP (or at least using OAP acquisition methods/styles) will, IMHO, be increasingly the norm even if the intent includes heavy post-processing.  It's worth exploring even if the intent is ultimately more about Conventional AP.

What’s an OAP sub-forum? An attempt to negate Night Vision Astronomy from this forum? This is an EAA sub-forum still as far as I can read.

Not sure what the purpose is of trying to change the forum name again is (other than squeeze out EAA methods that don’t use a camera)

• OleCuss likes this

#6 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

What’s an OAP sub-forum? An attempt to negate Night Vision Astronomy from this forum? This is an EAA sub-forum still as far as I can read.

Not sure what the purpose is of trying to change the forum name again is (other than squeeze out EAA methods that don’t use a camera)

I can assure you that I have not the power to change the sub-forum name and I don't expect anyone else to do that either.

But it is really hard to come up with anything in astronomy which is not electronically assisted in some manner.  So I consider the term "EAA" to be hopelessly imprecise and generally choose not to use it.

From my perspective I'm fine with others calling it whatever they wish and I've no intention to ask the moderators/administrators to change the name of the sub-forum.

But I'll generally not be calling what we (and I'll include our beloved NV folk) do "EAA".  And yes, I consider NV to be imaging and the imager to be a sort of camera.  If it weren't so expensive I'd be doing some NV myself.

Edited by OleCuss, 25 June 2019 - 08:13 AM.

#7 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

I can assure you that I have not the power to change the sub-forum name and I don't expect anyone else to do that either.

But it is really hard to come up with anything in astronomy which is not electronically assisted in some manner.  So I consider the term "EAA" to be hopelessly imprecise and generally choose not to use it.

From my perspective I'm fine with others calling it whatever they wish and I've no intention to ask the moderators/administrators to change the name of the sub-forum.

But I'll generally not be calling what we (and I'll include our beloved NV folk) do "EAA".  And yes, I consider NV to be imaging and the imager to be a sort of camera.  If it weren't so expensive I'd be doing some NV myself.

It’s not a camera, it’s not imaging, and has no similarity to AP unless you combine it with a camera.

IMO continually using a term that is rebadging the forum to another name and has nothing to do with methods used for a strong and growing method of EAA, only serves to confuse people.

I’ve seen you use the term as a method describing what you do - fine, but when new people come here and you rebadge the whole forum, how is that helpful and not confusing to the person that just had their thread moved by a moderator who describes it a better fit in EAA?

We had this discussion many times with members that disagree with the EAA badge but when does it stop? If everyone just comes up with their own name for it and welcomes new people to the forum by saying “hey that’s a good fit for the ______ sub-forum”, a lot of new people will be confused.

https://www.cloudyni...-controversial/

So, welcome to the PEE forum (Photocathode Enhanced Eyepiece forum)!

Do we really want that? Does that have anything to do with your method of observation?

I have no disagreement that OAP describes what you do in methods. It just misses out on what others are doing that the EAA umbrella term includes.

I would have preferred the forum remain the Video Astronomy forum as a term to describe NRTV and included everything, every type camera, NV, etc when used to describe NRTV

Obviously others disagreed because they weren’t using Video cameras and thought of it purely as a term to describe using video cameras instead of a term to describe NRTV (which I believe wasn’t adopted because people thought it constrained the time used to acquire an image).

Anyway - a whole lot of arguments previously because of names and CN has adopted EAA and now its used just about everywhere by some people and widely used on CN so everyone knows what everyone is talking about.

Edited by Vondragonnoggin, 25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#8 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

Again, I'm not trying to get CN to change the name of the sub-forum.  And others may call it what they wish.

Call me a non-conformist or perhaps something perjorative but I just don't choose to use the term which so many prefer.  I'm not at all sure that this should offend anyone and I can promise that no offense is intended.

#9 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:25 AM

You are right. Call it anything you want. Maybe someday CN will separate the Photocathode Enhanced Eyepieces from the Sensor Help Integrated Telescopes. Then we don’t have to concern ourselves anymore with being inclusive of technologies that might not fit a term used.

#10 flyingcougar

flyingcougar

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

This topic isn't about forum names or the true meaning of EAA. Enjoy it using any equipment/software you desire and let's stay on-topic please.

I'm not completely sure of the OP's intent but I use my imaging rig along with SGP and Cartes du Ciel for near-live viewing at times.

I'll take guests down to the observatory, slew to several different objects and use the frame and focus feature in SGP with varied exposure lengths to show them what's out there. I can easily hit 15-20 good targets in less than 30 minutes for them, of course everything is B&W but they don't seem mind. I've rotated the filter wheel to the Ha filter and given them a 1-second closeup view of the moon.

It's all about observing with whatever you have available.

• OleCuss and alphatripleplus like this

#11 TimP

TimP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

Not sure if this is the best forum but I'm about to get a new scope and camera and I was wondering if a livestream sounded like a "fun" event.  Less of a how I do it and more taking advice from those with more experience via comments online.  It's a brisk 110 here in Phoenix so this would be less about image quality and more about sharing the processes/workflow that work best for others.

New gear is:
  Orion 190 MN
  ASI1600MM PRO
  ASI filter wheel
  ASI174MM with OAG

Right now I use SGP and a polemaster.

Looks like polls are disabled in this forum but let me know your thoughts or what you think a better experience might be.

If you would like to test out broadcasting you can go over to nightskiesnetwork.com and give it a try. Unless something has changed you have to use the Chromium Portable browser to get the audio. There are a lot of people with your same gear that will be happy to give pointers.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics