•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the Celestron (Vixen) Polaris Mount the same as the CG4?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gdfaini

gdfaini

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: King George, VA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:25 PM

I have a circa 1984 Celestron C80 on a Vixen Polaris GEM (pictured).

I have been trying to find the Polar Axis Finder w/Illuminator for it, without luck.

I read in an old forum that the original Vixen Polaris mount is the same as the CG4.

I need to confirm that because Agena sells a Celestron alignment finder for the CG4, but it doesn't look the same as the Polar Axis Finder w/Illuminator that Celestron sold for my mount under Part Number #93605.

Attached Thumbnails

• Celestron C80 on Vixen Polaris Mount.jpg

• deepwoods1 likes this

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

I have a Vixen polar scope on my Vixen Polaris mount and it doesn't look at all like the Celestron CG-4 polar scope.

This post on CN concludes that the CG-4 scope does not fit securely on the Polaris mount:

https://www.cloudyni...lignment-scope/

I purchased my Vixen Polaris polar scope from Don Rothman at Astro Parts Outlet:

https://astronomy-ma...o.parts.outlet/

Call Don directly and see if he has one. He might even be able to tell you if a polar scope from a different mount will fit. He's a very knowledgeable guy and great to work with. Good Luck

Here's a shot of my Vixen Polaris polar scope ....

Polaris_Polescope.jpg

Edited by *skyguy*, 25 June 2019 - 08:33 AM.

• gdfaini likes this

#3 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

Sorry, but the mounting system for both polar scopes are different. You can sometimes find the Polaris scope by itself here in the ADS, but the tricky part is an attachment that screws onto the back of the mount, and then the scope slides into it......I have never found one of those by themselves and many of the sales for the polar scope do not include it. 

I am attaching a web image of the scope and the adapter.   You can see the adapter with the three setting screws on it....that adapter screws onto the back of the Polaris. 

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• polaris scope.jpg

• gdfaini likes this

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

There is no exact Synta equivalent to the Vixen Polaris. The CG-4 is in the same class but I guess they decided to do things differently rather than do a flat out copy like they did with the CG-5.

#5 telesonic

telesonic

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:20 PM

One more thing to note: Some of these mounts didn't have the external threads on rear collar for the polar scope, so definitely check yours to make sure it's threaded beforehand. Then you would need to find the attachment that Mike pointed out.

I had a heck of a time finding all of that out by trial and error..... so I've been that route - and you've got solid advice so far!

Ultimately I gave up the quest on finding a polar scope for my Polaris, and now use the SP when I need to get a better alignment.

Edited to add:

Oh, also - I forgot to add that the location of North Celestial Pole will be off a bit in these older alignment scopes (due to precession) but should still get you close enough to being Polar aligned for visual work. 

Good luck in your search!

Edited by telesonic, 24 June 2019 - 09:27 PM.

• gdfaini likes this

#6 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

Not at all in my book. I had the first Gen CG4 and 5 and they were very crude mounts vs the Polaris and SP.  After about 2000 when they went to the bigger tripod legs the CG4 and 5 were better mounts. The CG4 made the last few years is much better than the one i had in 1997.  But the finish on the Vixen mounts were better back in the 80's. My Polaris mount had the polar scope, but i never tried to see if it fit a CG4.

Edited by CHASLX200, 25 June 2019 - 05:26 AM.

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

Apparently ... if I'm reading it right .... Astro Parts Outlet has an adapter for the CG-4 polar scope to fit it on the Polaris mount.:

From the Astro Parts Outlet website .. equipment listings:

"G-4 MT POLAR SCOPE ADAPTER RING,3 POINT SCREWS THREADS ON POLARIS MTS--------$20"

• bremms likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics