•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Direction to mirror cleaning thread

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:49 PM

I’m sure it’s been asked many times but I just spent hours breaking down my scope to clean and grease so I’m looking for a quick find.  Could someone guide or provide input on how to clean a mirror on a Meade 4501 reflector scope?  It’s dirty.  Very dirty.  That’s all

#2 m1618

m1618

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County - CA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:24 AM

I think there are some youtube vids.
Long story short: blow off dirt with bulb, run the mirror under water, use dawn mild soap, viva paper towels, deionized/distilled water rinse is key. Just let it dry after DI water with patience.
Important: Do not use those air blow cans. The fluroethane propellant seems to leave a slight stain if you're not careful. It did for me.

Edited by m1618, 25 June 2019 - 12:27 AM.

#3 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Ranger 4

• Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:40 AM

Hi,

I'm no expert, but I would never use paper towel that is surface that can scratch. It may take a few years for the scratching to start showing up. But, that's only my opinion.

Here is a website that does it right and professionally; https://www.youtube....h?v=e66yIuD3cMk and anyone can do it. At first it's scary but push ahead.

Have a great night,

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

#4 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Explorer 1

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:41 AM

Blow off what ya can,rinse under flowing water,Use pure cotton balls ,no pressure very lightly,or your fingers lighty,Dawn and distilled water rinse,let dry, ez pze,use to think to much into it,but now after doing it ez pze

#5 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:23 AM

I prefer using my fingers, you can feel the amount of pressure you're applying a lot better and the mirror will look spotless afterwards. I always used either pure cotton or medical grade tissue paper before but there was always a film on the mirror afterwards. When I started using my fingers / very light pressure the mirror looked almost brand new. Just put something down under the mirror in the sink, soak it in warm water for a while to loosen debris from the mirror, rinse with tap water/drain dirty water, apply tap water/ regular dish soap and gently run your fingers over the mirror. Once you are fairly certain you've cleaned the entire surface, rinse thoroughly with tap water and finish off immediately with deionized water. The key is to rinse with your deionized water as soon as you remove it from the tap water.

#6 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

Never use cotton balls to clean your mirror. It’s the easiest way to put a scratch into the overcoat. You will do it without even realising.

Finger tip cleaning is the safest way to clean a mirror. There are instructions and videos floating around using that method.

#7 Marvin452

Marvin452

Lift Off

• Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

How dirty warrants a cleaning? I just bought a 10" Explore Scientific dob and the mirror has bluish smudges over about 10% of the surface.

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

I’m sure it’s been asked many times but I just spent hours breaking down my scope to clean and grease so I’m looking for a quick find.  Could someone guide or provide input on how to clean a mirror on a Meade 4501 reflector scope?  It’s dirty.  Very dirty.  That’s all

Here is the video that shows the EASY way.  Works, and is safe:

https://www.youtube....h?v=9Y8xFnXFVGQ

#9 smilingmoose

smilingmoose

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:21 PM

Thank you everyone! Mine is FILTHY so I look forward to it

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics