•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense + EQ6-R + PHD2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 emrlaw

emrlaw

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:10 AM

Hello everyone. I upgraded from an AVX (or so I thought) and just bought an EQ6-R while it's on sale. I also bought Starsense for Skywatcher. The Starsense works fine. But when I connected PHD2, it would never calibrate. It kept losing the star. (I connected PHD2 from my laptop to the usb connector on the Starsense HC.) I have the Celestron Unified Driver installed. The mount moves when I use the Ascom buttons, so I guess a signal is getting through. But when I go to calibrate, the star will stay inside the green box for several minutes, then it will suddenly and quickly shoot out of the box and out of view. That's when I get the "star lost" alert. No matter what adjustments I make to PHD2, the same thing happens.

I've tried every setting I can think of in PHD2, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone else have this same set up?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ethan

#2 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:29 AM

I'm confused by your question, are you using starsense as a guide camera (if that's even possible somehow)?

Edited by oshimitsu, 25 June 2019 - 01:30 AM.

#3 emrlaw

emrlaw

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:02 AM

I'm confused by your question, are you using starsense as a guide camera (if that's even possible somehow)?

No. I should have been more clear. I just use Starsense for alignment. I have a separate guidescope and camera that I run through PHD2. I used the same setup with my AVX and it worked fine.

#4 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:04 AM

Can you attach a picture your PHD2 graph when this occurs? Starsense wont affect guiding at all, with you just purchasing the EQ6 I'm leaning towards a mechanical issue. Does the mount slew alright? any strange noises? also the Celestron unified driver isn't the correct driver for that mount.

#5 emrlaw

emrlaw

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

Can you attach a picture your PHD2 graph when this occurs? Starsense wont affect guiding at all, with you just purchasing the EQ6 I'm leaning towards a mechanical issue. Does the mount slew alright? any strange noises? also the Celestron unified driver isn't the correct driver for that mount.

I don't have a graph because PHD2 never calibrates. The mount seems to slew all right. It makes a slight rattling noise when it finishes, but it doesn't sound like the gears or anything serious. (I don't have anything to compare it to, so I don't know if it's normal.)  I thought I read to use the Celestron driver because you use the Starsense HC instead of the Skywatcher HC.

#6 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

I don't have a graph because PHD2 never calibrates. The mount seems to slew all right. It makes a slight rattling noise when it finishes, but it doesn't sound like the gears or anything serious. (I don't have anything to compare it to, so I don't know if it's normal.)  I thought I read to use the Celestron driver because you use the Starsense HC instead of the Skywatcher HC.

The driver makes since when you explain it that way. You may want to post your logs to the PHD2 forum. They can look through the log to see what the problem is.

#7 emrlaw

emrlaw

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

The driver makes since when you explain it that way. You may want to post your logs to the PHD2 forum. They can look through the log to see what the problem is.

Thanks Jonathan. I'll check with the PHD2 forum. I can't believe no one has this same setup. I guess I'm a trailblazer! smile.gif

#8 SanFranStarGazer

SanFranStarGazer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, California

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

I’m having a similar problem with a Celestron 1100 EdgeHD CGEM-DX. My problem might be that no COM port seems to be found. Not sure what to do next.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics