•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Astrophotography of Aldo Radrizzani

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:09 AM

An ambitious amateur from the 90's that had a custom made schmidt camera of 300/400/615 fl. As good as some of the images are I feel they could have been better if he pushed the imaging time further. Also, the image scale of 615mm is not tremendous. I've seen images on medium format telephoto range that rival and even exceed some of these images. Nevertheless, impressive. I can't but envy an amateur having such an instrument.

Cheers to the late Aldo Radrizzani

http://www.aldoradri...i.it/index.html

Todd

Edited by Todd N, 25 June 2019 - 02:19 AM.

• John Gauvreau, havasman, happylimpet and 1 other like this

#2 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

I'm familiar with Radrizzani's work.  It is well worth the time to see them again!

Keep in mind that many of these exposures were taken with non-hypered Tech Pan.  Such was the power of the f/2 configuration.    Also, the film type listed, 2415 referred to the 35mm size emulsion.  These are on 4x5 - 4415 Tech Pan.  

We have no idea what it would be like to spend the amount of money required for such a venture.   The opportunity to shoot large format Schmidt work is gone.  It would have been the stuff of dreams in my teenage years.

• Joe F Gafford, Todd N, happylimpet and 1 other like this

#3 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:14 PM

I'm familiar with Radrizzani's work.  It is well worth the time to see them again!

Keep in mind that many of these exposures were taken with non-hypered Tech Pan.  Such was the power of the f/2 configuration.    Also, the film type listed, 2415 referred to the 35mm size emulsion.  These are on 4x5 - 4415 Tech Pan.  

We have no idea what it would be like to spend the amount of money required for such a venture.   The opportunity to shoot large format Schmidt work is gone.  It would have been the stuff of dreams in my teenage years.

I came across these pages perhaps a year ago. Up until then I have never heard of Radrizzani. I finally remembered to post about him. I realize many images are not hypered. I wish some non-techpan images were uploaded likewise which are noted in his records. Also, I realize after the fact that rendering these images in digital format may not represent all the true detail the negatives possess.

There is an 18" schmidt camera on display in the observatory museum on Mount Palomar. I trying to figure out a plan to "rescue" it. Are you in? smirk.gif

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:12 AM

You can still buy the optics from Ottiche Zen ..

http://lnx.costruzio...id=27&Itemid=28

#5 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:27 AM

There is an 18" schmidt camera on display in the observatory museum on Mount Palomar. I trying to figure out a plan to "rescue" it. Are you in? smirk.gif

That would be a great project.  I could probably swing it if I cash out my retirement savings.  

If Fuji does reintroduce Acros and it becomes available in 4x5, I will be obligated to build an astrograph.  Probably with a 360mm or 400mm f/4.5 Zeiss Tessar.  The closest thing I'll get to these holy grail pursuits. 

That being said I'm happy with my medium format work and the images that come out of the film tank.

Rho Ophiuchi Region

Southern Scutum Star Cloud

Messier 22 Region

Messier 24 Region

Scutum Star Cloud

It would be cheap to duplicate these efforts.  The camera body and lens used would be under $600.00 if you already have a telescope to mount it on.  That and some lost shuteye!  

• Todd N, BPO, happylimpet and 2 others like this

#6 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

You can still buy the optics from Ottiche Zen ..

http://lnx.costruzio...id=27&Itemid=28

Those prices seem too reasonable for both primary and corrector. The difficulty would be coming up with the support structure unless one has machining capabilities.

#7 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:05 AM

"Those prices seem too reasonable for both primary and corrector."

Yea right now the dollar is doing good against the Euro, so the prices are not too bad..

I have been thinking about getting one of their large Simak's .

Edited by TxStars, 27 June 2019 - 12:05 AM.

#8 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

I've heard of Aldo Radrizzani. Great work. Back then astrophotography was a challenge and many people were treading new ground.

My hero in the 1960's was E.E.Barnard. And to a certain extent still is.
  • Nightfly likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics