•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about refurbishing a Questar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

So I've decided it would be a good time to send my 50 year old Questar back to the mother ship for refurbishing. To my knowledge, my telescope has never received this service. I've noticed that there seem to be two ways to do this. One is to send it directly to Questar, the other is to send it to Company Seven. Does anyone have any experience or information indicating which approach would be best?  Thank you for your experience and insights. 

#2 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

For what it's worth, I'm also interested to hear about the experience that others have had with working directly with Questar or with Company Seven.

#3 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

For me, I'd need to get a real advantage to justify shipping through an intermediary.

#4 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

Questar

• daddymouse likes this

#5 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

For me, I'd need to get a real advantage to justify shipping through an intermediary.

That's what I'm thinking also. Company Seven claims to add value to the process as a kind of extra quality control, I'm just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this. 

While we're on the subject, would it be worth considering changing the Barlow to a modern one? How much better would a modern Barlow lens be compared to one made in 1969?  

#6 drprovi57

drprovi57

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

I have a 50th Special edition Q3.5 - I decided to go with Company7, I live close enough where I could hand deliver the Q3.5 directly and talked with Martin of Company7.  They are the most knowledgeable people I know of on the planet with regard to Questars - they have a special relationship with Questar (the “mother-ship”) with regard to designs, sales, service and support.. they also individually test each Questar..  “as Martin told me, Company7 guarantees the Q3.5 will be better than new mechanically and tested optically using Zygo GPI Interferometer”.  They showed me things on my Questar that I did not really notice - that they picked up and plan to fix/replace/adjust.  I also plan to service my 2007 Q7 Astro with Company7 after the Q3.5 50th is complete (still waiting for the interferometer tests).   Anyway.. hope this helps - I suspect Company7 or Questar would work.. but I just like the level of detail that C7 looks for - higher than Questar.

Jason

• Matt Looby likes this

#7 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:04 PM

I have a 50th Special edition Q3.5 - I decided to go with Company7, I live close enough where I could hand deliver the Q3.5 directly and talked with Martin of Company7.  They are the most knowledgeable people I know of on the planet with regard to Questars - they have a special relationship with Questar (the “mother-ship”) with regard to designs, sales, service and support.. they also individually test each Questar..  “as Martin told me, Company7 guarantees the Q3.5 will be better than new mechanically and tested optically using Zygo GPI Interferometer”.  They showed me things on my Questar that I did not really notice - that they picked up and plan to fix/replace/adjust.  I also plan to service my 2007 Q7 Astro with Company7 after the Q3.5 50th is complete (still waiting for the interferometer tests).   Anyway.. hope this helps - I suspect Company7 or Questar would work.. but I just like the level of detail that C7 looks for - higher than Questar.

Jason

Hi jason,

Do you know what things C7 plans to replace fix, etc. Also does the optical report come with service? I may send mine there one day.

Thanks,

Matt

#8 drprovi57

drprovi57

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

Hi jason,

Do you know what things C7 plans to replace fix, etc. Also does the optical report come with service? I may send mine there one day.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Below is the C7 Recommended work:

A. FINDINGS/ RECOMMENDATIONS: some issues have developed since delivery new, while some were items that would have been flagged by Company Seven had this instrument been acquired through here. We can remedy all concerns.

Our preliminary inspection revealed the more obvious concerns; these items and anything else found during the course of servicing will be remedied.

1. Standard Service
2. The fit of the Dew Shield is too tight, OTA alignment in forks brackets appear to be part of the issue
3. The OTA elevation clutch is loose enough that the OTA feels front heavy in the fork
4. Elevation lock control knob needs repair
5. Special attention: the fork mount wobbles on the base
6. Special attention: debris on lens of Finder inside control box
7. Replace both gaskets of the Base Hole plugs, one is loose
8. Double-check adjustment of the case interior rollers
9. Right fork arm interior shows gasket, replace and reset
10. Leather carry case bottom/pads not level
11. Special attention to cleaning/evaluating the full aperture Solar Filter, need not replace

12. Questar Diopter Adapter replaced, 13078
13. Provide copy of the optics Zygo test printout, we will research archives (or can optionally retest at C7, yes)

QUESTAR 3-1/2 Standard Service includes:

Basic inspection of mechanical and optical components
Disassemble Control Box, lens, clean, and re-grease moving parts
As applicable: remove and clean Control Box prism/mirror diagonal and other optics
As applicable: clean both eyepieces
Remove and clean main system optics
Remove and clean system filter(s) elements
Check and adjust optical centering
Check and adjust image shift
Check and repair baffle system
Check and adjust alignment of the finder to the main optical system
Disassemble Base – clean and re-grease moving components
Clean and inspect Solar Filters
Wipe down, buff polished parts, wax telescope, polish leather case (as applicable)
Rewrap AC Power Cord (as applicable), and tidy up the carrying case
Final Acceptance inspection, testing and documentation by Company Seven

There may be a few other items... when i get the final report I will share it.

Jason

• Matt Looby likes this

#9 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:44 AM

Jason,

Thank you so much for sharing such a comprehensive report! 

I will send mine to C7!

Matt

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics