•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Jupiter GRS June 25

planet Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mtr1

mtr1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:31 PM

Thank you Matt Looby for the GRS heads up!

rgb 17 to 25 rsadj.jpg

The captures in this RGB composite ranged from 11:17 to 11:25 pm EST (that's 03:17-03:25 UT).... you guys are welcome to decide if the S&T app saying 11:18 at the meridian was right or wrong. 

This was my first planetary attempt with a mono cam; I used a lot of technique I've been using for solar. 

Questar 3.5”; QHY5III174M; TV 2.5X Powermate; I shot 400 frames at a time at around 80 ms with various gain settings; AS3 best 40% R and G channels; best 15% B (clouds rolled in before I could finish blue); assorted steps with PIPP, PI, ImPPG, RS6 (kitchen sink processing!).  From my yard in Yonkers, NY.

I've got a bunch more data to process from last night and will post a variation if it is materially better.

Regards,

Mauri

• Paul Schroeder, Matt Looby, Mike Allen and 7 others like this

#2 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

Mauri!!!

Nice work- by resizing the image smaller that image of your  remesembles what I saw, namely that the GRS seemed to float and the ESZ following the GRS appeared to curve!  

I also wonder what those two dark projections are, one preceding and one following (in the north) GRS

Your image captures far more detail and is very very lovely!

Thank You!

Matt

Edited by Matt Looby, 25 June 2019 - 03:57 PM.

#3 mtr1

mtr1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

Matt --

I checked to see if those dark areas are an artifact from deconvolution (if you're too aggressive you get lumps).  I'm pretty pleased to say that I reviewed Chris Go's images and they show these dark areas.  Check out http://astro.christone.net/jupiter/

The current images on that page are dated June 22 so if you're reading this in the future you might want to dig into his archive to find this week. 

Here's my image above flipped and rotated to match his orientation

rgb 17 to 25 rsadjrotated.jpg

Is there a difference between a C14 and a Q3.5 image of Jupiter?  You bet.  But I'm pleasantly surprised to see how some of my random-looking smears of color match up against features captured in Go's reference images. 

BTW I didn't stop to focus and look through the EP before setting up the camera last night; my instincts were right that I was going to get clouded over if I fooled around.  So I can't say how it looked through the EP.  I don't think I've ever been able to visually pick up the GRS, there's not enough contrast for my eyes.  But when I shot through the green filter last night the features popped so clearly on my laptop that I was tempted to try visual with the G filter.  I bet I would have made out the spot. 

Regards,

Mauri

• ScottAstroNut, steve t and TerryWood like this

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

I've been out of the loop for awhile with family stuff...these are excellent! Looking forward to seeing more! Finally got out there tonight myself since the skies were clear even though it called for clouds. Couldn't resist!

V/R

Terry

Edited by TerryWood, 15 July 2019 - 11:11 PM.

• Matt Looby and mtr1 like this

#5 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:03 PM

I've been out of the loop for awhile with family stuff...these are excellent! Looking forward to seeing more! Finally got out there tonight myself since the skies were clear even though it called for clouds. Couldn't resist! V/ar Terry

'hope to see your new work soon Terry!

• TerryWood likes this

#6 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:13 PM

Thanks Matt! Working on a couple of captures now and hope to post before going to bed. V/R Terry
  • Matt Looby likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics