•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TeleVue 85 + Losmamandy GM 8 Gemini 2?

mount
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RobTy

RobTy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

I like my TV-85 for portability and want to add a portable, dependable, high quality goto mount for viewing.

I'm thinking about mounting this scope on a Losmandy GM-8 with LW Tripod with Gemini 2 goto system.  Do any of you have any experience with this equipment combination?  If so, what are your impressions?

Thanks!

• Losmandy likes this

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

Good equipment. However a more cost effective setup might be something like an iOptron, Skywatcher, or Celestron goto mount in the 25# capacity range. 

#3 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

The GM8 was a great mount with the LW tripod for my Televue 102 so you'll love it with your TV85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jim Waters, Losmandy and Wildetelescope like this

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

You said "add" does this mean you already have another type of mount for your 85? If so don't overlook scope to mount connection compatibility. The reason I ask this is I had a TV 85 that I used with a TV Telepod and a Vixen GP2. it was seamless to switch from one to the other thanks to the Tele Vue Vixen adapter. However that Vixen adapter will not work with my GM8 even though the GM8 has a dual Losmandy/Vixen saddle. The GM8 stock saddle is just to a bit too long.

#5 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

IOptron AZ Mount Pro would be equally portable and better for visual since it is an AZ mount and has a built in battery and WiFi.  It would easily carry two TV 85s.

Smaller and cheaper?  Sky-Watcher AZ GTI.  Not in the same level as the Losmandy or iOptron, but would work well with a TV 85.

• cwright likes this

#6 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:56 PM

Actually to go even lighter and farther I would suggest the Skywatcher AZ-GTi. It has a 5kg/11 lbs payload capacity which your TV should be well under. I use it with a TV NP101is. I do get shakes for about a second but I am 5 lbs over the weight limit. I also use it with a 92mm APO and it doesn't have shakes. The mount has wifi, can be controlled by either the Skywatcher App on your phone or via a Skywatcher HC, has great battery life, runs on AA batteries, has encoders built in so if you want to star hop after aligning it you don't lose your alignment and can go back to GOTO once done, and is super compact/light. People are now imaging with it and the images being produced are pretty nice. See the thread in this Forum on the mount if you want more information. 

#7 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

I like my TV-85 for portability and want to add a portable, dependable, high quality goto mount for viewing.

I'm thinking about mounting this scope on a Losmandy GM-8 with LW Tripod with Gemini 2 goto system.  Do any of you have any experience with this equipment combination?  If so, what are your impressions?

Thanks!

A GM8 with Gemini 2 would be a GREAT solution for your TV-85. I use one with my AT 130EDT and it does just fine, even for photos. 

#8 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

The GM8 was a great mount with the LW tripod for my Televue 102 so you'll love it with your TV85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same for me!  It will do fine with the 85!

jmd 

#9 cwright

cwright

Vostok 1

• Loc: Belle Plaine, MN

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

I'll second the iOptron AZ Pro. I have a G-11 and have used several G8's as well as a number of other EQ mounts. However, I recently got to spend a significant amount of time with a friends iOptron AZ Pro and fell in love with it. It's small, light weight, and works beautifully. It even handles my relatively heavy Tak TOA-130 very well which surprised me at first.

#10 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Perfect

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics