•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Webb Society: Deep-Sky Observer's Handbook -- SkyList

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:11 PM

Starting with Volume 2: Planetary and Gaseous Nebulae.  I've got the Webb Society Deep-Sky Observer's Handbooks as SkySafari SkyLists, SkyTools 3 Observing Lists (stx) and a text file.  I'll upload the other volumes when I get the chance.  These were great resources back in the day, and are still valuable today.  If you find the lists useful, you might want to get the actual book.  I've seen them all available for download, or you can grab them from AbeBooks.

WSDSOH-V2.jpg

Picture takes you to AbeBooks...

SkySafari SkyList (Planetary Nebulae)

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V2 Planetary.stx.txt   673bytes   26 downloads (remove ".txt")

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V2 Planetary.txt   2.81KB   29 downloads

SkySafari SkyList (Gaseous Nebulae)

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V2 Gaseous.stx.txt   762bytes   17 downloads (remove".txt")

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V2 Gaseous.txt   1.62KB   15 downloads

Edited by brentknight, 25 June 2019 - 11:38 PM.

• Carl Kolchak, CounterWeight, Michael2 and 2 others like this

#2 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:33 AM

Good morning Brent!

Those are very nice books, I have a few of them. I really appreciate you taking the time to put those lists together, I did a couple of them, but it's soooo cumbersome and time consuming (for me) that I stopped.

I will definitely be "borrowing" your lists!

Many thanks for putting them together!

CB

• brentknight likes this

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

Thanks, I also have several of theses old books, appreciate your efforts!  I'll be trying out the ST3 version.  Thank you.

• brentknight likes this

#4 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:35 PM

I've got Volume 3: Open and Globular Clusters below.  While working on these, I've noticed some objects might have been updated since they were published in this volume.  There is a section of the book identified as Class 7 Open Clusters from the RNGC.  Many of these were classified as non-existent in the RNGC since they were not apparent on the POSS plates.  Archinal and Hynes identified many of these in their book Star Clusters.  They were classified as asterisms in DSOH Volume 3 and are included as a separate list below.  For example, NGC 6997 is identified in this Class 7 list as an asterism but it is clearly an open cluster located in the North America Nebula (NGC 7000).

I have tried to make as few errors as possible, but some may have slipped through.  If you find any, you are more than welcome to let me know and I will update the posted lists.  I hope you find them useful.

WSDSOH-V3.jpg

The image above will take you to the AbeBooks website

Webb Society Deep-Sky Observer's Handbook: Open Clusters

Webb Society DSOH V3 Open Cluster SkyList

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V3 Open Clusters.stx.txt   1.55KB   7 downloads

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V3 Open Clusters.txt   3.39KB   8 downloads

Webb Society Deep-Sky Observer's Handbook: Globular Clusters

Webb Society DSOH V3 Globular Cluster SkyList

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V3 Globular Clusters.stx.txt   584bytes   2 downloads

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V3 Globular Clusters.txt   736bytes   2 downloads

Webb Society Deep-Sky Observer's Handbook: Asterisms

Webb Society DSOH V3 Asterisms SkyList

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V3 Asterisms.stx.txt   560bytes   3 downloads

Attached File  Webb Society DSOH V3 Asterisms.txt   188bytes   0 downloads

I could not identify NGC 2356, NGC 6896, NGC 7234 and NGC 7295 from the Asterisms list in SkyTools 3 which is the program I used to generate these lists.

• Carl Kolchak and Michael2 like this

#5 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:00 AM

Wow!, what to say but that you very much Brent for this effort!

#6 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

You are welcome.

These are all great guide books - maybe a little out of date, but well worth checking out.  Volume 5 is all about galaxy clusters - I don't believe there is any other printed reference out there on these objects for the amateur... 

#7 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

I enjoyed that they are all topical, and they are observer oriented - but then I grew up with books. 

• brentknight likes this

#8 bigdob24

bigdob24

Ranger 4

• Loc: Central USA

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:39 AM

I’m looking for volume 8 Webb Society Deep-Sky Observer's Handbook: Variable Stars to complete my set .

If anyone has one send me a pm and we’ll talk

I think there very interesting and lots of info

BT

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics