•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-6 issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zambonikane

zambonikane

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Chester PA

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

Hey everyone, 

Any idea what is going on?  When slewing, it sometimes hangs up, changes its pitch, then continues on to somewhere near when it supposed to be (sort of).  I have attached a video showing the problem. Is this a balance issue, are my clutches too tight?

https://youtu.be/y-Tqul0wPQo

• elmiko likes this

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:20 AM

I would guess that the gear mesh is too tight or that the ring gear is dirty or damaged.

I'm wondering if the problem would go away if you loosen the mesh by one complete turn of the little "mesh adjustment  screws. If the problem goes away then you need to set the mesh again.

Hint: If you loosened the mesh screws by one full turn, tighten the mesh by up by 7/8 of a turn and check for the issue again

But then again, I had that happen to me and it ended up being that an ant had gotten in somehow and stalled the mount.

Miguel   8-)

• zambonikane likes this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

Watched your video. I have the same mount. Mine did the exact same thing when I was using an older battery. Once I plugged it into ac it was fine. Are you powered by a battery? I couldn't tell in the video. First thing to check.. then if that wasn't the problem, try the tight gear issue. These mounts like over 12 volts 12.3 or more.

My 2cents, Mike

Edited by elmiko, 28 June 2019 - 08:32 PM.

• zambonikane likes this

#4 zambonikane

zambonikane

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Chester PA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

As an update, i picked up the ADM dovetail mounted counterweight and a 12vDC-->13.8vDC converter and all seems right with the mount. Very unscientifically, I applied both changes simultaneously so I cannot attest to which one cured my issue.  Thanks for the help-it was very much appreciated.

• elmiko likes this

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

It was a power issue. Glad you got it .

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics