•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Animation of Jupiter in *REALLY* Bad Seeing

planet imaging
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:56 AM

I'm not sure what bad seeing looks like for everyone, but I've gotten to characterize bad seeing through the jet stream over the Red Centre over the last three years. There are many spatial and time frequency components, and the worst obliterate Jupiter into a mass of incoherent points. But last night's low spatial frequency distortion was the worst I've seen it. Here's 20 seconds of pure enjoyment at roughly real-time playback:

Jupiter Bad Seeing Animation

And this was through a 7-inch aperture 40˚ off the horizon! Trying to put words to it, it now looks to me like a bunch of cats fighting in a burlap sack, with the escalating violence causing occasional rips in the space-time continuum.

Hope your seeing is better—MUCH better!

Cheers,

BQ

• markb, Toups, Boom and 9 others like this

#2 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:15 AM

Crikey BQ!

Regards

Mark

#3 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:48 AM

That's how seeing is for me often, good seeing is a rarity :/

#4 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:02 AM

That is how my seeing is here.  Looks exactly like what I saw the other night when I tried to image Jupiter. 

#5 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:05 AM

Seems similar to mine when I observed it around 7pm, when it's directly above the city lights.

#6 John Tucker

John Tucker

Viking 1

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:30 AM

I think I might have you beat.  Here's Saturn bouncing around with an amplitude of almost half its own diameter.  https://www.facebook...550958828346201

• kevinbreen likes this

#7 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

Oh good, I'm not the only one!

#8 markb

markb

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

A burlap sack of fighting cats; great analogy!

Yep, my seeing is almost never good or better, and that was my Jupiter view last week. But your video is worse than even I normally get. I almost wrote off some scope purcases (why can't I see belts with festooned like those CN posters-explained at last, your video proves you need a 7" to barely make out equatorial belts!) until I figured out my seeing near the center of Long Island was always terrible, while my brother's house 3 blocks from the water was usually great in the evening. I am learning that Arizona will take careful timing of viewing sessions in the spring, summer and fall, local thermals made for my worst seeing ever in early evening.

Great for soaring, though!

Edited by markb, 26 June 2019 - 07:27 AM.

#9 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

Put that in my Square Planet Challenge thread!

It looks like that little alien blob in that film “Life”.

Well done! 👍👍😂
  • aeroman4907 likes this

#10 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

That level of seeing is actually quite good.  Just using your supplied video I came up with the following result from processing:

NASA-Jupiter.jpg

You should be able to get even better detail out of your original video files.  You just need to use a good stacking and processing program, such as the Neural Autonomous System Analysis program.

I find it interesting that your capture looks very similar to how Jupiter looked on December 7, 2000!

• eros312, james7ca, Merk and 4 others like this

#11 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

funnypost.gif Good one...

• aeroman4907 likes this

#12 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

That level of seeing is actually quite good.  Just using your supplied video I came up with the following result from processing:

attachicon.gif NASA-Jupiter.jpg

You should be able to get even better detail out of your original video files.  You just need to use a good stacking and processing program, such as the Neural Autonomous System Analysis program.

I find it interesting that your capture looks very similar to how Jupiter looked on December 7, 2000!

Amazing, Steve!

Ha ha, brilliant!

You obviously used the Blobular Cluster-Buster Processing plugin  (Beta) for Firecapture..... I've heard it's out there, but difficult to download....

• aeroman4907 likes this

#13 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

I think I might have you beat.  Here's Saturn bouncing around with an amplitude of almost half its own diameter.  https://www.facebook...550958828346201

That is truly atrocious.

About par for the course around here. 

• aeroman4907 likes this

#14 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

Wow ... OK I will think twice before complaining about seeing in my location lol.

#15 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

So here is the best I could get from that Jell-O of an image I tried.  Seeing was really really really bad.  Taken with a Meade 14 and a ASI224MC. 10,000 frames  

Attached Thumbnails

• Bad jupiter.jpg

#16 Merk

Merk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus, Nicosia

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

attachicon.gif NASA-Jupiter.jpg

lol.gif lol.gif

• aeroman4907 likes this

#17 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:30 AM

Ha! I LOVE it!

Here's what actually turned out from a subsequent capture (100 seconds later):

55mm3.0.jpg

Bad seeing is nothing more than a limit on the scaling of the final output…

BQ

• aeroman4907 likes this

#18 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

For me that's pack up and go inside lol.gif

• oshimitsu likes this

#19 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:51 AM

Amazing, Steve!

Ha ha, brilliant!

You obviously used the Blobular Cluster-Buster Processing plugin  (Beta) for Firecapture..... I've heard it's out there, but difficult to download....

Nice plugin name Kevin, but I'll admit I am stumped.  My silly program name obviously hints to the image being taken by NASA, but I can't figure out what BCBP stands for based upon your name.  Either I am completely daft to figuring out what that stands for, or I am looking for some reference that you are not even trying to make.  Of course it now sounds just like a cool name for what it really needs to do with the video stream provided.  Please enlighten sir!

#20 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

I understand your pain and I've seen worse than that, sometimes I can't even see any trace of the equatorial bands.

This happens quite often when we have Santa Ana conditions here in southern California (which unfortunately is the situation on most of the clear nights during the summer and fall, it's a cause and effect, to have clear skies you usually need winds from the east to keep the marine layer from coming inland and a Santa Ana condition brings dry winds from the east).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics