•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6R-Pro issues with EQMOD and PHD.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ciraxis

ciraxis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

Been playing around with my new mount and I cannot get the guiding to work well with EQMOD and PHD.    PHD keeps giving me errors saying that it cannot make sufficient changes in DEC.

Mount is polar aligned, calibrated in PHD, I also ran guiding assistant for 6 minutes and used the suggestions that PHD had.   It just seems like this mount does not want to work well when going through EQMOD.   I must say that I am not a fan of eqmod, it seems like one more thing to crash or screw settings up on, my other mount works just fine with ascom alone.

Everything is running out of SGP and SGP is running fine, it is sending dither commands to PHD which are working, PHD is also sending pulses but it keeps giving me errors after it runs for an hour or so.  PHD pops up saying that it cannot make sufficient changes in DEC.  I've looked over settings that guys who use this same mount have and they are identical in every way other than locations settings in EQMOD.   

I can post screen shots of my settings and logs if it will help.   Anyone run into this before?

• PirateMike likes this

#2 Akwilliams

Akwilliams

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Hmmm.   My setup using the same mount is pretty much identical to yours.   EQ6-R Pro, EQmod and PHD2.  I get the exact opposite to you.. I have never known it to be more stable.

The common thing here is perhaps the USB cable from the mount to your computer.. You dont say if its a direct connection to your pc, on a USB extension or via a USB hub?   If via a hub or extension, might be worth trying direct to your pc, thus ruling out an extension cable or the hub.

It could be the cable itself causing the problem..  I've had one in the past which got bent on one of the connections and caused no end of problems.. switched to a bluetooth connection and never had a problem since.

• PirateMike likes this

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

Did you increase the allowed DEC movement setting? 

• PirateMike likes this

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

I have a slightly different mount, the Atlas AZ/EQ-G. I also use EQMod and have never had a problem with it that wasn't operator error or a bad connection.

I would recommend that you post a snap shot of you PHD screen showing the settings and a detailed description of how your computer is connected to the mount so that we can have some information to work with.

Miguel   8-)

• elmiko likes this

#5 f300v10

f300v10

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

ciraxis,

Open EQMOD and expand the window to see all your settings (the wrench icon).  Check your values for "ASCOM PulseGuide Settings".  Ensure your RA & DEC rates are in the 0.5 range.  If these values are to low it will cause the issue you are describing with PHD2.

• elmiko likes this

#6 ciraxis

ciraxis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

Thanks guys, I hadn't tried swapping the usb cable yet since the mount was talking to everything I assumed it was fine.   I just swapped it out.   Also I should have posted that it is directly connected to my laptop, no hubs, not hand control.

Here are my EQMOD settings.   

p8pqAqR.png

-----

M2QekT8.png--

xfHPqH3.png

xErKO4c.png....

I used exactly the same settings as another guy that is using the same set up and originally I had a different side of pier setting but now everything is the same.   I've even reinstalled and very slowly went through the set up again.   I'm sure its just one thing that I haven't thought of.   

On the last screen shot it doesn't appear to have made any changes in DEC, it doesn't show in the screenshot but it is set to AUTO.   

#7 f300v10

f300v10

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

ciraxis,

As I suspected, your pulse guide rate settings are way to low.  Look under "ASCOM Pulseguide Settings", top right of the first image you posted.  Up those from 0.1 to 0.5 and you should be fine.  

• elmiko, AhBok and wrnchhead like this

#8 ciraxis

ciraxis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:04 PM

Going to try that out tonight.  Thanks for the help!

• wrnchhead likes this

#9 f300v10

f300v10

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

I had this exact same issue when I switched to a new imaging laptop a few months ago.  For some reason the default rate now seems to be 0.1, which is just to low.  Let us know how it goes.

Scott

• ciraxis likes this

#10 ciraxis

ciraxis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

Should be clear out the next two nights, so I'm hoping that this is the fix.   I really appreciate the help

#11 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

+1 on increasing the rates.    I run mine at 0.8X.    I remember getting that message in PhD2 when they were  at 0.1X.   Problem is EQMOD will reset them back to 0.1X everytime you shut down.

#12 f300v10

f300v10

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

+1 on increasing the rates.    I run mine at 0.8X.    I remember getting that message in PhD2 when they were  at 0.1X.   Problem is EQMOD will reset them back to 0.1X everytime you shut down.

Thats not the behavior I see with EQMOD.  I changed the values from 0.1 to 0.5 just once, and they have remained there.  How are you shutting EQMOD down?

• AhBok likes this

#13 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

Thats not the behavior I see with EQMOD.  I changed the values from 0.1 to 0.5 just once, and they have remained there.  How are you shutting EQMOD down?

That's good to know.  I actually just shut EQMOD down when I turn off the computer at the end of the night.  If I shut it off like a normal program it crashes on my computer.   I suppose shutting it down would save the settings.

#14 ciraxis

ciraxis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:05 PM

I changed my settings to .50 and it solved my issues of PHD telling me DEC wasn't moving enough.   

I messed around with the mount settings before the clouds moved in, hoping to dial in good guiding, chasing that elusive smooth graph that I can't seem to get.   

On a side note I've noticed that I'll run guiding assistant and PHD with say that my polar alignment is off by say 5 arc minutes to pick a random number, but I made a few changes and ran it again and it said I was over 10 off, the mount wasn't hit, kicked, nudged or barely looked at.   

I thought it was a bit odd.

Anyways thank you guys for the help, any other guiding tips for the EQ6R that you suggest?    I always level the mount using a real level, balance everything before imaging and calibrate PHD but still have yet to see any guiding that is all that much better than my cgem dx.

#15 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

How are you polar aligning? What do you consider to be a smooth graph? What is your goal for RMS error? .64 is pretty good. Have you measured your mount’s PE? Have you trained PEC? Change your graph scale in PHD2 to +\- 4 to get a better view of how your mount is doing. If the scale is small enough, no one has a totally flat graph.

#16 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:28 AM

Use a good tool to polar align. I use sharcap and get it down to 5 arcsec in less than 2 minutes. Try lowering the aggressiveness in PhD2. My mount behaves better with low aggressive numbers. Guiding depends a LOT on sky conditions. Guiding error can double from one night to the other. It is easy to become OCDed with guiding. All that counts is getting round stars. You will not remember the guiding error you got when the image will be on your living room wall. đŸ˜‰

#17 ciraxis

ciraxis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

I've been using Polemaster but honestly I'm not impressed with how accurate its been, according to PHD I'm only getting around 5 arc minutes at my best.   If its clear tonight I'll try sharpcap instead.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics