•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A great night

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

Yesterday I looked at the long term weather forecast and saw 9 out of the next 13 days with thunderstorms, including last night at 9. Having had my new scope for about a month now and having had 3 clear nights since then, I was kind of bummed. The first of those three was me fighting dew and learning the new scope, the second was a good night, and the third was about three days before the full moon. I was beginning to think the bet way to help our local farms was to just buy a telescope. Around 7pm I looked at the weather again and AccuWeather was still calling for storms. I bring up My Radar and see the storms but, they seem to be fading out. Could it be? I bring back up AccuWeather and look at the US Satellite and see all of the clouds coming in are also fading away. I check temp and dew point and they are favorable so I take the chance and get the scope out back and check collimation. Then since I haven't slept good the past 2 nights, I try to take a nap. Fail. I take one of my wife's natural energy shots that she has instead. I already had a plan to test out my new 5.5 Meade UWA all night long. I was not going to sleep. I even grabbed the x2 barlow and UHC filter to see how those are on it.

Even before full darkness I could tell it was going to be a good night. I spot Jupiter and align my finder. There was a decent amount of atmospheric distortion but still better than cloud cover. I wait a little bit longer and start my journey towards things that were going to set soon. M68 was faint. NGC 188 was perfect. M53 was faint. M3 was beautiful and the major portion took up about half of my FOV. M5 was perfect. And so the list continues on faint objects, perfect onjects, objects that I observed and didn't make my "Favorites" list, and objects that I need a wider FOV for.

Around 11:30 I decide to look up and determine my naked eye visibility to be around 5.1 (maybe better but that's the faintest I confirmed). This is the clearest night I remember from my backyard in a long time. I turn back to Jupiter and it is pristine. I decide to barlow it and am happy I did. I could make four belts in the northern hemisphere distinctly standing out from the zones. I'm at x552 right now with very little atmospheric distortion. I decide to shoot to Saturn with the same process. Slightly bummed that Saturn does not enhance the same way when barlowed but, it's still Saturn lol.

My night continues on getting me about 2.5 hours on 33 different objects, a lot of learning about my limitations, and a desire for some new EPs and filters. I'll also follow this up with a post in the beginner's forum so I can get some daytime education from you experienced folks. Clear skies to all.

• Carol L, REC, SeaBee1 and 3 others like this

#2 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

waytogo.gif Gotta love it when it all comes together like that!  Looks like we may get a good night or 2 here on the east coast, warm, but clear (hoping it doesn't haze over).

Sometimes, when I need the nap, I get everything set to go, then I take a quick nap in a zero-g chair next to the scope out under the stars!  Sometimes it only takes me 10 min, but when I wake up, I feel energized and I am dark adapted and ready to go!  But, yeah, I hear ya, if you can't sleep.  When that happens to me, coffee is my friend (even though they say caffeine cuts down on visual acuity, it's better than not observing at all, I guess).

• dgordontx likes this

#3 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

waytogo.gif Gotta love it when it all comes together like that!  Looks like we may get a good night or 2 here on the east coast, warm, but clear (hoping it doesn't haze over).

Sometimes, when I need the nap, I get everything set to go, then I take a quick nap in a zero-g chair next to the scope out under the stars!  Sometimes it only takes me 10 min, but when I wake up, I feel energized and I am dark adapted and ready to go!  But, yeah, I hear ya, if you can't sleep.  When that happens to me, coffee is my friend (even though they say caffeine cuts down on visual acuity, it's better than not observing at all, I guess).

Yeah that's my problem. When I went furniture shopping last time I ended up getting the best thing I could get that day (long story). It doesn't recline enough for me to get a good nap in. We have a hammock but I thought they were designed to stay outside year round and I was wrong... We need to replace it.

#4 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Yesterday I looked at the long term weather forecast and saw 9 out of the next 13 days with thunderstorms, including last night at 9. Having had my new scope for about a month now and having had 3 clear nights since then, I was kind of bummed. The first of those three was me fighting dew and learning the new scope, the second was a good night, and the third was about three days before the full moon. I was beginning to think the bet way to help our local farms was to just buy a telescope. Around 7pm I looked at the weather again and AccuWeather was still calling for storms. I bring up My Radar and see the storms but, they seem to be fading out. Could it be? I bring back up AccuWeather and look at the US Satellite and see all of the clouds coming in are also fading away. I check temp and dew point and they are favorable so I take the chance and get the scope out back and check collimation. Then since I haven't slept good the past 2 nights, I try to take a nap. Fail. I take one of my wife's natural energy shots that she has instead. I already had a plan to test out my new 5.5 Meade UWA all night long. I was not going to sleep. I even grabbed the x2 barlow and UHC filter to see how those are on it.

Even before full darkness I could tell it was going to be a good night. I spot Jupiter and align my finder. There was a decent amount of atmospheric distortion but still better than cloud cover. I wait a little bit longer and start my journey towards things that were going to set soon. M68 was faint. NGC 188 was perfect. M53 was faint. M3 was beautiful and the major portion took up about half of my FOV. M5 was perfect. And so the list continues on faint objects, perfect onjects, objects that I observed and didn't make my "Favorites" list, and objects that I need a wider FOV for.

Around 11:30 I decide to look up and determine my naked eye visibility to be around 5.1 (maybe better but that's the faintest I confirmed). This is the clearest night I remember from my backyard in a long time. I turn back to Jupiter and it is pristine. I decide to barlow it and am happy I did. I could make four belts in the northern hemisphere distinctly standing out from the zones. I'm at x552 right now with very little atmospheric distortion. I decide to shoot to Saturn with the same process. Slightly bummed that Saturn does not enhance the same way when barlowed but, it's still Saturn lol.

My night continues on getting me about 2.5 hours on 33 different objects, a lot of learning about my limitations, and a desire for some new EPs and filters. I'll also follow this up with a post in the beginner's forum so I can get some daytime education from you experienced folks. Clear skies to all.

Sounds like you had a great night, good for you! I'm surprised you where able to see well with that 5.5mm at 272x and even more with a barlow. I have the AD-10 and the highest I go on for planets is about 200-250x and only on the best of seeing nights here in NC. I love globs at about 185x, they fill the whole FOV in my ES 6.7mm 82* FOV.

• dgordontx likes this

#5 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

Sounds like you had a great night, good for you! I'm surprised you where able to see well with that 5.5mm at 272x and even more with a barlow. I have the AD-10 and the highest I go on for planets is about 200-250x and only on the best of seeing nights here in NC. I love globs at about 185x, they fill the whole FOV in my ES 6.7mm 82* FOV.

It's funny, when looking for advice on a high power wide FOV EP, everyone said the same. I figured I would try for myself and find out. I am pleased with the results and even though my next EP will have lower power (really more about FOV for me), after that I will probably get a good 3mm EP.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics