•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Life on other planets?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

This thread, has inspired me to start a new one, a little more general. Growing up, I never believed in aliens. Even after a trip to Roswell as an adult, I decided they saw aliens because they were high on peyote or drunk because there is nothing else out there. Owning a telescope has changed things a bit. I have now seen countless other suns and have barely broken the ice. That's not even including entire other galaxies. While I have absolutely no proof, nor do I believe in half the crap but out by the Kepler program, I feel as though it is highly likely that there is life outside of our solar system. Am I alone in this? Am I just so overwhelmed with what I can see that my mind is hallucinating? Maybe it's a spiritual thing to remind me how small we really are?

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

After being a skeptic for years, I finally have have proof in the form of a photo...

MM.png

• BrettG likes this

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

Life, probably.  Intelligent, technological life capable of traversing the vast distances between stars to visit us?  Not likely.

• bobito likes this

#4 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

It is practically impossible that there is not some form of life outside of earth.  It is all but proven given our understanding of the universe.

• mich_al and Mountaineer370 like this

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

If they are smart, they would stay away.

• BrettG, SeaBee1 and vdog like this

#6 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Considering the VASTNESS of the universe, I think it highly likely there is other life "out there", the odds, IMHO, favor other life. I also think, considering the VASTNESS, the distances involved and the known limitations of physics as we know it, that interaction with another life form is highly UNLIKELY. Logistically, the barriers are simply too prohibitive.

But... I could be wrong...

CB

• Mountaineer370 and jlcop like this

#7 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:14 AM

Life, probably.  Intelligent, technological life capable of traversing the vast distances between stars to visit us?  Not likely.

I am not referring to being visited by aliens lol, just the concept that they exist. Also, we don't even have the capability to travel those vast distances.

#8 tphili1959

tphili1959

Vostok 1

• Loc: upstate ny

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

There most likely is..other planets are just way too distant from each other to travel or communicate..we don't even know how large the universe or multiverses are.to think that we are the only planet that is special or unique is arrogant thinking.

#9 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

You will most likely find this TED Talk by Stephen Webb quite interesting and food for further hallucinations:  Where are all the aliens?

-Ara

• Mountaineer370 and db2005 like this

#10 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

I read a great (slightly outdated) book last year called Rare Earth by Peter Ward about this very topic. His conclusions are that the vastness of space makes it likely that other life exists; however, the presence of intelligent life at our level (or more) must be fantastically improbable. 

One of the things that made me think there must be other life was the result of the Hubble deep field survey (and subsequent surveys). Maybe it's been revised since I read this theory, but apparently due to the age of some of those galaxies, most of them were entirely composed of hydrogen and helium. It was explained that you need tremendous heat and energy to make the heavier elements, and the stars back then didn't have enough on its own, until it went supernova. Only after millions of supernovae did the heavier elements form - implying the earliest galaxies might have had stars, but those stars probably didn't have planets. Therefore, that gigantic number of galaxies we can see with the Hubble deep field surveys might not even be "young" enough to have rocky planets surrounding their stars, so they can't be included in a possible location to harbor life. Suddenly my mental calculation just lost a large percentage of potential life-harboring galaxies.

Again, that book was published about 15 years ago so my understanding might be out of date. 

#11 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Statistically it may be possible. We just don't have enough information. I believe on Earth it took about four billion years to go from the first biogenic carbon signatures and formation of stromatolites to the ability of more complex organisms to invent frozen pizza. This four billion years may or may not be an average. 

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Star_Maker

The most imaginative novel about the possibilities for extraterrestrial life I've ever read is 'Star Maker' by Olaf Stapledon. Although curiously there is no mention of frozen pizza in the entire novel. 

http://gutenberg.net...s06/0601841.txt

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 26 June 2019 - 12:23 PM.

• dgordontx likes this

#12 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Apollo

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

You will most likely find this TED Talk by Stephen Webb quite interesting and food for further hallucinations:  Where are all the aliens?

-Ara

I'm going to watch that when I get a chance.  I have a book on my shelf by Stephen Webb entitled "Where is Everybody?" that sounds like it discusses the same topic.  Good book.  I think there is an updated version to the one I have.

I absolutely, positively believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe besides Planet Earth.  In fact, I believe the universe is probably filled with life, that life is part of what the universe is all about.  That life could range from simple microbes, to advanced, intelligent life forms, and everything in between.

Now, if you're talking about the ability of any of those life forms to interact with life forms from another star system, I believe the likelihood is incredibly tiny.  The book I cited goes into detail on the many obstacles that would have to be overcome, the length of time it takes to develop advanced levels of technology, the natural disasters that can come along to destroy life, the tendency of society (in our experience at least) to be self-destructive, etc.

It is a fascinating subject to think about.

#13 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

I also apologize as this thread started yesterday is pretty much the same. I am sure he would love your comments there as well.

#14 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

I am not referring to being visited by aliens lol, just the concept that they exist. Also, we don't even have the capability to travel those vast distances.

Oh, lol!  I saw mention of Roswell and immediately thought about the stories of aliens crash landing and all that stuff!  I've never been there myself.  My brother-in-law subscribes to all that conspiracy stuff.  We have some interesting discussions sometimes.  smile.gif

#15 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:38 PM

Does not life, as we know it on earth, depend on our rather special relationship with our large moon? No super tides, storms, etc.

Life outside our solar system probably exists. We may not be able to communicate with them. It may be in our best interests not to communicate with them. (Remember all the scifi worst case scenarios).

I think we can all agree that it will take a thousand years or more for us to find out on our own.

Good viewing,

Dave

Edited by dmgriff, 26 June 2019 - 02:41 PM.

#16 dgordontx

dgordontx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Oh, lol!  I saw mention of Roswell and immediately thought about the stories of aliens crash landing and all that stuff!  I've never been there myself.  My brother-in-law subscribes to all that conspiracy stuff.  We have some interesting discussions sometimes.  smile.gif

I would not recommend a special trip to Roswell but if you ever happen to be in the area, go see for yourself. Part of me thinks they needed to do something to bring an economy in as well. It didn't help. It's pretty bad lol. 

#17 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

See the movie "Paul". They go to Roswell on purpose...from England.

[Rated R for language including **** references, and some drug use] so be careful. A few parts are testy, but funny...mostly a cuss word now and then.

#18 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

...nor do I believe in half the crap but out by the Kepler program,...

Assuming you meant 'put out' vs 'but out'.  What parts did you think was crap?

#19 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

...  What parts did you think was crap?

My guess is the wild headlines that the media puts out that in no way reflect the significance of the finding.

#20 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

Does not life, as we know it on earth, depend on our rather special relationship with our large moon? No super tides, storms, etc.

That's a prevailing theory. Some additionally believe that the presence of a comet-deflecting planet (Jupiter) plays a large role too, as well as our relatively round orbit, the inclination of our orbital axis, the age of our star, the presence of a magnetic field, and even plate tectonics. And most likely, a combination of all the above plus a million other variables both large and small. 

Without a doubt the presence of our relatively very large moon played a significant impact in mankind's evolution, but that's not to say it's necessary for the production of intelligent life. 

• Dynan likes this

#21 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

This entire universe, countless galaxies, each full of billions of suns and planets, and we're it?  Yeah, that doesn't seem likely.

I do agree with others, however, that it's equally unlikely that they've ever come here.  I mean, why?  All that way for what?  An entire universe full of wonders and they come here to get a mocha frap at Starbucks?  Or go to a Yankees game?  I don't think so.

Edited by vdog, 26 June 2019 - 08:58 PM.

• SeaBee1 likes this

#22 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:20 AM

This question has been asked before at this site and the thread locked. You can say "Yes!" and quote the theoretical calculations for the existence of life else where, and speculate ad nauseum on it. But one cannot say "No" and give their reason why they believe so. So I will just say "No" and leave it at that.

Ken

• dgordontx likes this

#23 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:47 AM

A fascinating competition to devise an efficient way of colonising the galaxy has resulted in this beautiful—and provocative—visualisation. ~ op cit

https://gizmodo.com/...t-th-1835873779

• dgordontx likes this

#24 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

I would not recommend a special trip to Roswell but if you ever happen to be in the area, go see for yourself. Part of me thinks they needed to do something to bring an economy in as well. It didn't help. It's pretty bad lol. 

Trust me, if I ever find myself in New Mexico, I will be going to where the skies are Bortle 1, not Roswell!  laugh.gif

• dgordontx likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics