•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Extra Counterweight for Star Adventurer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Heavens_Above

Heavens_Above

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

Hello, I'm a newbie, first time forum poster here, about to go on my first outing in a few days. I'm doing a dry run of assembling my equipment at home, before going out.

I can't balance the Fine-Tuning Mounting Assembly plate (I'm using it in case I need to re-align the Adventurer while I'm out on site), Canon 6D, Manfrotto 496RC2, and Tamron 15-30mm lens (total weight 2.37 kg) on my Star Adventurer with Sky-Watcher's 1 kg counterweight and rod.

When used, should the counterweight be subtracted from the 5 kg payload capacity of the Star Adventurer to get the remaining maximum payload for the rest of the gear? Is it advisable to add more counterweight up to the 5 kg maximum to achieve balance?

Thank-you in advance for your replies (any advice or tips are welcome).

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

Normally, counterweights are not taken into account when looking at a mount's payload; however, my own experience with very compact star trackers (Vixen Polarie) suggest to count them in for the best performances, especially if are using the star tracker own polar wedge.

My tracker uses a 20mm shaft, so I could employ most standard counterweights for light mounts, or gym weights (if get those with the right hole), but by doing so would only increase the amount of useless weight to carry: rather, I  normally try to attain the balance by placing the camera as low as possible, and the counterweight as far as possible; while this have its own shortcomings, I judge it a more convenient option for a compact travel rig.

Therefore, given the very short focal length, I suggest you to drop the ball-head: by lowering the center of weight of the camera will reduce the amount of weight required to counter (it is also useful to fix the mounting assembly plate as low as possible, to increase the reach of the counterweight shaft).

#3 Heavens_Above

Heavens_Above

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

Hello Hesiod. Many thanks for your reply. It got me thinking that I needed to try a different position (doh!) where the Fine-Tuning Mounting Assembly plate and camera, is secured to the Mounting Platform. Moving the plate down, so that the camera is closer to the center of the Platform, resulted in a balanced setup.

I'm still learning!

• t_image and 2ghouls like this

#4 t_image

t_image

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

This might mean you are more constricted on your timing of when you can capture your targets,

but may be a good trade off!

I could employ most standard counterweights for light mounts, or gym weights (if get those with the right hole), but by doing so would only increase the amount of useless weight to carry:

As to portability of counterweights, discussion of some DIY methods here:

https://www.cloudyni...s-plane-travel/

The duct-taped cans of beers is brilliant.lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics