•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flocking Advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:19 AM

Hello,

I’m just preparing my refractor to be flocked and I have some questions regarding the process as is the first time that I’m doing this.

The flocking material that I’ve bought is the D-Fix Black Velvet, that is cheaper (and easier for me to buy it locally) than the Protostar one.
I found a comparison of this two materials (for other applications) and seems that they are really close in terms of reflectivity.
http://projectiondre...-velvet-devore/

My concern is about how to manipulate it. The first thing that I did when I bought it is to touch the surface looking for flocking looses… and it looses…I’m really concerned about this because I don’t want to change my reflections issues (that are not so harmful) with flocking motes flying all around the scope.

As far as I know about the flocking process, flock losses are unavoidable, but I work on the packaging industry, so maybe there are better industrial processes that can fix this issue.
So my question is… the “astronomical” flocking materials are really better regarding this subject? Are they specially “clean”?

For now, I plan to cut the pieces and then clean them with a vacuum cleaner.
I understand that even in a material that doesn’t loose by itself, once cut, there will be some particles, so how did you faced this problem also?

Thank you in advance.

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

I can recommend both the Protostar and the Scopestuff adhesive backed flocking material.  I have used both extensively and neither one has much fiber loss.  you will always have some, but with either of these it won't be anything that you will need to be concerned about.  personally, I would not attempt to flock any tube using a manual gluing situation.  too messy and the edges will be quite difficult to get smooth.  cut thin strips and take your time.

#3 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

Ok, so as I understand, even astronomical flocking brands have some looses...

Regarding your advice, thank you, but take into account that the D-fix is adhesive also, so no additional glue is involved in the process.
My first try will be to cut entire pieces, but in case to not to be successful I will try strips as you recommend.

Enviado desde mi MI 5X mediante Tapatalk

Edited by H-Alfa, 26 June 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#4 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

After I apply flocking I go over it with a vacuum cleaner. That removes almost all the loose material as well as any lint and dust that has accumulated. There is always some material that is loosened by manipulation of the flocking material and the cut edges. The vacuum takes care of that and more. Use gentle suction to just pick up the loose material - not enough to aggressively pull the flocking off the backing.

Bill

• H-Alfa and Mike G. like this

#5 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

After I apply flocking I go over it with a vacuum cleaner. That removes almost all the loose material as well as any lint and dust that has accumulated. There is always some material that is loosened by manipulation of the flocking material and the cut edges. The vacuum takes care of that and more. Use gentle suction to just pick up the loose material - not enough to aggressively pull the flocking off the backing.
Bill

Ok. Thank, you!
About the use of the vacuum cleaner I'm a little bit concerned about to hit the flock and make it shiny (I'm not sure if I explained correctly). Any advice?

Enviado desde mi MI 5X mediante Tapatalk

#6 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:46 AM

I reply to myself, I will flock the end of the vacuum cleaner.

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

#7 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:12 AM

About hitting the flocking with the vacuum and making it shiny, actually the vacuuming will raise the pile and make the flocking more uniformly black. If you have any doubts about how it will work with your material, try vacuuming a sample of the flocking material before you install it.

If you have a tiny enough brush for the end of the vacuum, that may help as well, though I just use the end of the hose or the crevice tool, which is a bit narrower.

Bill

• H-Alfa likes this

#8 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:29 AM

Hello Bill,

Thank you. Yes, I will try what you suggest.

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

#9 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

Flockboard is amazing stuff. Getting hold of it is another matter entirely.

Glen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics