•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 30mm UFF - the long FL Morpheus

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:54 PM

I'm going to give 25585 credit for making this point before, but I wanted to confirm it.   I just picked up the 30mm APM UFF.  It presents its field as if it is a long FL Morpheus.  I'm not suggesting it is the same design as the Morpheus.   I'm just saying that when you take in the field of the APM UFF it is like you are looking through a Morpheus. 

In the 120ED it performs very well and sharp close to the edge, but there is a little falloff in the last ~10% or so.  In my 80mm Access it did not do as well falling off in the outer 30% of the field ... but the scope was not at equilibrium and the edge performance improves as the scope acclimates.  I hope to check that again tonight if I get a chance.

The sky background is very clear and clean with this eyepiece.  Stars are really sharp - no bloating detected - just pinpoint lights.  Contrast seems very good.  I spent most off the night jumping from the 30mm APM at 30x to the 9mm Morpheus at 100x or the 6.5mm Morpheus at 138x.   The Delite with or without the 1.6x Nikon barlow can fill the gap between the 30mm and 9mm.

I found the field extremely easy to take in with glasses if the eyecup is folded down and there were zero issues with blackouts.  When I did a daytime test I came away feeling it was one of the easiest long focal length, wider field eyepieces I have looked through, so it really can serve double duty if you are looking for a nice 30mm for daytime observations.

• 3 i Guy, DevilJack, Tyson M and 3 others like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:05 PM

Nice report.  I was looking at one of these potentially some day.

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

I had a 30mm ES 82 and in my short f/l reflectors, it was not a good EP.  I sold it and got the APM 30mm UFF and have been happy every since.

• 3 i Guy, Piero DP, 25585 and 1 other like this

#4 jakecru

jakecru

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

Yeah... I am going to have to get me one of these. 

Edited by jakecru, 26 June 2019 - 04:02 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#5 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:39 PM

I'm going to give 25585 credit for making this point before, but I wanted to confirm it.   I just picked up the 30mm APM UFF.  It presents its field as if it is a long FL Morpheus.  I'm not suggesting it is the same design as the Morpheus.   I'm just saying that when you take in the field of the APM UFF it is like you are looking through a Morpheus. 

In the 120ED it performs very well and sharp close to the edge, but there is a little falloff in the last ~10% or so.  In my 80mm Access it did not do as well falling off in the outer 30% of the field ... but the scope was not at equilibrium and the edge performance improves as the scope acclimates.  I hope to check that again tonight if I get a chance.

The sky background is very clear and clean with this eyepiece.  Stars are really sharp - no bloating detected - just pinpoint lights.  Contrast seems very good.  I spent most off the night jumping from the 30mm APM at 30x to the 9mm Morpheus at 100x or the 6.5mm Morpheus at 138x.   The Delite with or without the 1.6x Nikon barlow can fill the gap between the 30mm and 9mm.

I found the field extremely easy to take in with glasses if the eyecup is folded down and there were zero issues with blackouts.  When I did a daytime test I came away feeling it was one of the easiest long focal length, wider field eyepieces I have looked through, so it really can serve double duty if you are looking for a nice 30mm for daytime observations.

No sign of vignetting at the edge of the field?

I agree that it's a worthy replacement for 30mm Pentax XW. You get more field, less lateral color, and less astigmatism, and for a whole lot less money.

It's not as clean across the field as a 27 Panoptic, but you get more eye relief, more field, and for less money.

#6 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:04 PM

Having both the APM and 35 Panoptic, the Pan is marginally better in F5, but and longer the difference is less.

When I first tried out my UFF, it won me over for its comfort, lighter weight and slightly higher magnification, 30, 31, 32 is just right, 35 and longer in Newtonians can be too long. Both Pan and UFF are keepers, as ade my faithful 32mm Vixen Erfles.

UFF is also comfier than my ES68 Maxvision 28mm & 34mm eps, same optics as the Meade SWA 5000 28mm, which I bought instead of a Panoptics originally. 

The UFF is great with a TV 85 and Pronto and my F5 Dobs, 35 Pan gets used most with the F5 Genesis and F6 Dob (1600mm FL).

Edited by 25585, 26 June 2019 - 05:06 PM.

• 3 i Guy and russell23 like this

#7 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

No sign of vignetting at the edge of the field?

I agree that it's a worthy replacement for 30mm Pentax XW. You get more field, less lateral color, and less astigmatism, and for a whole lot less money.

It's not as clean across the field as a 27 Panoptic, but you get more eye relief, more field, and for less money.

I looked and I didn't see any vignetting.  At the edge of the field there is a fine line of blue light at the field stop and the field stop isn't razor sharp but it wasn't blurry either.  

• areyoukiddingme and 25585 like this

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:56 PM

In my f/5.75 dob (the coma-corrected f/ratio), astigmatism started at about the 50% point from center to edge, but didn't become objectionable until about 70% of the way out.

Apparent field, eye relief, and presentation was a lot like the 31mm Baader Hyperion, except the stars were maybe slightly smaller everywhere in the field in the 30mm UFF.

However, I wouldn't call it a replacement for the 30mm XW.  It's not really fair to compare a $229 eyepiece with a $579 one (new prices).

I'd like to compare it with the 28mm ES 68° to see the differences--I haven't done that yet.

• Procyon and nicoledoula like this

#9 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

In my f/5.75 dob (the coma-corrected f/ratio), astigmatism started at about the 50% point from center to edge, but didn't become objectionable until about 70% of the way out.

Apparent field, eye relief, and presentation was a lot like the 31mm Baader Hyperion, except the stars were maybe slightly smaller everywhere in the field in the 30mm UFF.

However, I wouldn't call it a replacement for the 30mm XW.  It's not really fair to compare a $229 eyepiece with a $579 one (new prices).

I'd like to compare it with the 28mm ES 68° to see the differences--I haven't done that yet.

Sounds like we were looking through different eyepieces . . . I see astigmatism in there too, but much closer to the edge, and less than I see in the XW.

I will most likely to make it to Pinos Saturday, so will bring mine with me . . . 

• Piero DP and 25585 like this

#10 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:47 PM

I saw astigmatism in the 30XW too but I only remember it at the very edge. 90% of the edge problem was coma, which a coma corrector solved.
Of course, I was 15 years younger then. It's possible my younger eyes saw things differently.
See you Sat.

#11 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

I’m really impressed with this eyepiece in my NP-101 which is a good test bed for eyepiece aberrations. I’d say it was essentially on par with my Nag 26 T5 at its full 70 degree field. It has less AMD and is very comfortable with no eye placement issues. It’s also a good daytime eyepiece. I used to have the Baader aspheric 36 and the APM 30 is far superior in all regards. Yeah, I really like this glass....

• 25585 likes this

#12 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

I’m really impressed with this eyepiece in my NP-101 which is a good test bed for eyepiece aberrations. I’d say it was essentially on par with my Nag 26 T5 at its full 70 degree field. It has less AMD and is very comfortable with no eye placement issues. It’s also a good daytime eyepiece. I used to have the Baader aspheric 36 and the APM 30 is far superior in all regards. Yeah, I really like this glass....

Sounds like you aren't seeing much in the way of astigmatism either?

#13 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:31 AM

Sounds like you aren't seeing much in the way of astigmatism either?

No, I’m not seeing much either. I just did a comparison using my NP-101 with the 26 T5 and the APM 30 looking at the “ Coathanger” asterism and would say the levels of astigmatism in both were much the same @ 70 degrees of field and the T5 having it worse @ 82 degrees. Keep in mind it was never obtrusive at all, in either case. Both eyepieces give the same true field with 19x and 21x so the field was darker in the T5.

I think the APM 30 UFF is an exceptional eyepiece regardless of it’s comparatively modest price.

• areyoukiddingme and 25585 like this

#14 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:08 AM

A quick comparison on my light polluted balcony . . . 12.5" F5 with paracorr.

30 APM ultraflat looks pretty good. I see some astigmatism on brighter stars, but most of it is from my eye.

Stars are a tad tighter in 27 Panoptic and possibly 31 Nagler, but about the same in the 30 XW, which shows lateral color and some field curvature to boot.

I need to make the comparison someplace dark to be more sure. Hopefully this w/e.

In any case, it does feel like a 30mm Morpheus (similar to 17.5 Morpheus, without the field curvature).

• 25585 likes this

#15 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

I had another excellent night for observing last night.   The 30mm APM UFF is excellent with my 120mm f/7.5 APO.   I was able to fit NGC7789 and the pairs of bright stars on either side in the field and both pairs of stars were sharp.  The sky background was nice and even and black (no EOFB).  

I had excellent views of numerous open clusters and then nebula with a Lumicon UHC filter.  There is nothing about this eyepiece that leaves me wanting with the 120ED.

Now the 80mm Access and Williams Optics Z61 APO's provide a real challenge to the edge performance of just about every eyepiece.  The APM UFF  is no exception as edge performance falls off quite noticeably going from the 120mm to the 80mm to the 61mm APO's in terms of percentage of the field that is sharp.

I'll be interested to see how it fares in the Astrotech 102mm ED when that scope arrives tomorrow.   The 18.2mm DeLite is one of the best eyepieces at maintaining really good edge performance in the Z61 and 80mm SV but even that eyepiece is not perfect to the field stop in those scopes.

I did fit the entire North America Nebula in the field with the Z61 and the 6 deg TFOV with the 30mm APM.  That was impressive. 

• Tyson M likes this

#16 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

Fairly sure the ES 28mm will best or equal it in every way.

#17 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

Fairly sure the ES 28mm will best or equal it in every way.

Nope.  I owned the 28mm ES68 for a number of years.  It is very good, but it does not best the APM UFF. 

#18 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:09 AM

I must do more comparing with my others, but the 35 Pan in particular...

#19 Piero DP

Piero DP

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, UK

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:05 AM

I love my APM UFF 30mm. Mine sent a few other eyepieces to new homes...
Including a 35mm Pan. The latter was a nice eyepiece, although too heavy and with too much eye relief for my tastes.

Edited by Piero DP, 28 June 2019 - 02:09 AM.

• 25585 likes this

#20 mkothe

mkothe

Messenger

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:21 AM

This is interesting; just when I thought I was done...

I just acquired a 40mm Paragon to use as my finder eyepiece instead of the 35 Pan since I needed something lighter for my Portaball. I prefer it over my 40mm XL and it is close enough to the Pan to fit my needs. Very comfortable and easy to acquire the exit pupil, but at 40mm the image is a bit washed out from my suburban site.

I think I might have to get one of these to compare to the others. Is it correct that the weight is around 500g? The APM Website lists it at 1kg, but that seems high and is too heavy for my needs.

Thanks,

Michael

#21 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

I love my APM UFF 30mm. Mine sent a few other eyepieces to new homes...
Including a 35mm Pan. The latter was a nice eyepiece, although too heavy and with too much eye relief for my tastes.

I find the 35mm Pan has a little less effective eye relief, but its eye placement is less easy. Marginal but  when using at night small differences seem more obvious. Being in the dark makes me edgier and more alert to light, survival instinct I expect.

#22 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

This is interesting; just when I thought I was done...

I just acquired a 40mm Paragon to use as my finder eyepiece instead of the 35 Pan since I needed something lighter for my Portaball. I prefer it over my 40mm XL and it is close enough to the Pan to fit my needs. Very comfortable and easy to acquire the exit pupil, but at 40mm the image is a bit washed out from my suburban site.

I think I might have to get one of these to compare to the others. Is it correct that the weight is around 500g? The APM Website lists it at 1kg, but that seems high and is too heavy for my needs.

Thanks,

Michael

556g.

• 25585 likes this

#23 mkothe

mkothe

Messenger

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:46 AM

Ordering now :-)

I usually buy used, but am glad to finally be doing business with you. I really appreciate your contributions to CN over the years.

Michael
  • 3 i Guy, Piero DP and 25585 like this

#24 Piero DP

Piero DP

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, UK

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

Ordering now :-)

I usually buy used, but am glad to finally be doing business with you. I really appreciate your contributions to CN over the years.

Michael

Yeah, it's a medium weight eyepiece. Not large in size either.
Good choice.
  • 25585 likes this

#25 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:54 PM

Now the 80mm Access and Williams Optics Z61 APO's provide a real challenge to the edge performance of just about every eyepiece.  The APM UFF  is no exception as edge performance falls off quite noticeably going from the 120mm to the 80mm to the 61mm APO's in terms of percentage of the field that is sharp.

The 18.2mm DeLite is one of the best eyepieces at maintaining really good edge performance in the Z61 and 80mm SV but even that eyepiece is not perfect to the field stop in those scopes.

With those (2) short focal length refractors, you are likely seeing field curvature, which is a function of the scope's focal length and your eyes. I see it in any refractor shorter than about 800 mm in focal length. Next time you have a low-power eyepiece in either one, try refocusing by looking at the edges instead of the center fov. If you can get the edge stars tighter, then you're seeing field curvature. No eyepiece can correct for this.

• Starman81 and areyoukiddingme like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics