•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IEQ30 Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

Finally i took the decision.

I am going for the IEQ30 pro with 2" steel tripod. Wonder if that is really necessary but as i don't consider the mount as a grab and go i might as well get it as stable as it can get.

The mount seems more then adequate for what i have i mind..so..

I only will get use to a fully electronic mount. The ones i had were manual drive except for my HEQ5 many years ago but did only tracking and was very simple to operate.

I ordered it from TS in Germany

I want to start with some simple imaging sing my 70 mm ED scope...see what i can do and get..

Never did AP , it is al whole new challenge, but as i am might be retiring within 2 ,5 years or maybe sooner and start cutting down the work it might be nice to start ...

Ah well, we will see.Even without AP the goto function is of course nice to have....also for visual..i am really curious about that..

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 26 June 2019 - 03:35 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:03 PM

I think you'll be happy with it.  

Let us know how you like it after you get it!

• scadvice likes this

#3 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

It arrived today.

Quite something different then my HEQ5 at the time.

Head is still quite a weight but lighter then a HEQ5. Tripod , out of the box is well shaky...even with the 2" legs...

i did not assemble it yet , it rest on rubbers sort of allready vibration pads...

The tray is nice ,really nice, i guess you have to assemble it all to evaluate the stability. I did not read reports about shakiness with the 2 inch tripod.

I like the weight of all components.Weight is there but by all means NOT overwhelming, exactly what i was looking for.

Totally different then the HEQ5 at the time, one of the first versions at the time...wich offered just tracking nothing else...and real heavy.

I will see tomorrow.

One note : there is a specific note included that states not to contact the dealer if problems or question arise but to contact Ioptron directly. Nice. Support is there if you need it...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 28 June 2019 - 03:07 PM.

#4 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:21 PM

I  set it up today to see how it goes.Only in the very evening as temperaturs in Belgium were today extremely high during the day, sometime we are really not used to!

All parts are well machined, i had no difficulties.

Nice is the latitude adjustment, works really smooth.

Connecting the cables , balancing a scope , no issues.

GPS worked , seemed to find coordinates again without issues.

I did not polar aligned it yet but took a short look at the software on the handcontroller, seems intuitive. The screen has 8 lignes. I slewed to scope in dec and RA and indeed it is amazing how quiet it is.

So far so good, now some studying

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 29 June 2019 - 04:23 PM.

• SteveG likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics