•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APT automatic meridian flip

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kyle528

kyle528

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

I'm trying to get the session craft tool to do a proper flip for me so I can sleep through it when I image on week nights. Up until recently, I've been imaging very near the NCP, and no flip has been necessary, but the target I'm working on now requires a flip very near the end of the session. The problem I seem to be having is that my mount (a CEM25) is flipping itself before APT tell it to. Last night was only my second time trying it, the first time it failed I thought it was just a messed up setting, which I *thought* I fixed last night. When I woke up this morning to see if the flip was performed correctly, the mount had already flipped itself, but APT didn't show the flip happening for another 30 minutes. In APT, the meridian passing showed as 4:35 AM, but the mount flipped at 4:02. A quick check on Stellarium showed that the target indeed crossed the meridian at 4:02, when the mount flipped. I double checked my location settings in APT, and they are all correct, and my plate solving that session craft uses is also correct, since goto++ works fine. I can tell session craft to start the flip 30 minutes earlier, but that seems extreme. Any insight to this problem? Thanks!

Kyle

Edit: While on the topic of meridian flips, APT also tells me on startup "It is NOT possible to control the Side of Pier. Make sure to start flipping after meridian passing!". Is this part of my problem?

Edited by kyle528, 26 June 2019 - 03:50 PM.

#2 kisstek

kisstek

Ranger 4

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

I don't know the ins and outs of a CEM25. My CEM60 is on back order. bawling.gif

I'd check a couple of things just on principle:

Does the mount and APT agree on your location and time? If your position was off, that could effect where things think the Meridian is. Same for time as in the wrong timezone?

Does APT continue trying to image thru the period where the mount did the flip or has APT suspended it's image taking?

Are the mount's settings such that it's allowed to travel past the Meridian? APT has those delays before and after the Meridian where it just lets the mount continue tracking before APT does the flip. If you hit a mount limit, that might trigger a mount flip.

Is there a setting in the iOptron controller for disabling an automatic flip?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics