•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Updated AT102ED arrival

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Martin

Jason Martin

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick shout out to Astronomics... my new AT102ED arrived via FedEx today. Initial impressions are very positive, although a proper first light will have to wait until the weather cooperates. One thing did surprise me. There is a complete lack of branding on this version... perhaps a trade-off to keep the price down with the addition of the sliding dew shield? I'll report back once I have had a chance to get a little starlight down the tube.

Jay

• rustynpp, starmason, stevew and 1 other like this

#2 astro42

astro42

Vostok 1

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

Let us know your impression.

Mine shipped today but will have to wait for about a week and a half to arrive here in Canada.

#3 SFDENNIS

SFDENNIS

Vostok 1

• Loc: SanFrancisco

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

No lettering at all on the dew shield ?  Are they all missing the Astro-Tech branding ?  Mine is still on the Fed-Ex truck so I can't check until Friday but I would be disappointed if mine was also blank.

Jason, can you tell us what lettering is on the lens cell rim ? Thanks.

#4 punk35

punk35

Apollo

• Loc: Adrian Michigan

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:06 PM

How about some photos of the updated model? It’s practically mandatory. grin.gif lol.gif

• rustynpp, Brollen and Agatha like this

#5 Jason Martin

Jason Martin

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

As requested:

IMG 20190626 195921
IMG 20190626 195955

No branding whatsoever. Aside from that, very sharp. I just took a peek with the binoviewers at some distant foliage and the view did not disappoint.

Jay

• punk35, Lewis Cason, havasman and 1 other like this

#6 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

As requested:

No branding whatsoever. Aside from that, very sharp. I just took a peek with the binoviewers at some distant foliage and the view did not disappoint.

Jay

That looks beautiful!!! Love it

#7 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

It was a surprise to us as well. Since it has no effect on the optical performance I made the call to ship them. We are in contact with the optical house getting a solution together. We have pulled all the invoices from this shipment and will have a solution in the near future. Bright side, the scope will be .00000000001 ounces lighter...
  • rustynpp, punk35, SteveG and 16 others like this

#8 Jason Martin

Jason Martin

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:07 PM

Bright side, the scope will be .00000000001 ounces lighter...

lol.gif

#9 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

As requested:

Jay

Jay

How did your mount handle the scope? I am planning on using the same mount as my grab and go setup. 

#10 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

As requested:

Jay

How does the Skyview Deluxe mount handle it? I have one of those mounts and was curious

#11 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:08 PM

I can't speak to the current 102ED, but I had one of the original 102ED's from 2008 and used it on the original AT Voyager, which is the same as the GSO Skyview AZ, and it was a great match for grab and go observing.  I should qualify though that I did stiffen the mount by adding the Vixen eyepiece tray to the spreader bars which really takes a lot of flex out of the tripod and matches the hole pattern exactly.  Also, for comfortable viewing height, I added the AT pier extension (no longer available), but something one could perhaps make.  Otherwise, I had nothing to complain about with the matchup.

• joseph07081 and BFaucett like this

#12 Jason Martin

Jason Martin

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:45 PM

How does the Skyview Deluxe mount handle it? I have one of those mounts and was curious

I find it to be an agreeable pairing, even without a tray to stiffen things up. No chance yet to use the new ota at high magnification, but I've used this mount extensively with a Stellarvue SV80a, which is actually quite close in weight, and it does an admirable job.

#13 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:03 PM

No branding of any kind is a major screw up. It’s not an esthetics issue, it’s not even an “identity” issue but it’s identification issue. The one which will be particularly important in 5, 10... years from now. How could something like that pass QC - assuming it’s not actually ordered that way which seems to be negated by a post by astronomics above - is beyond me. Sloppy is an understatement. Yes, it affects the scope’s performance exactly 0% but still... so what is going to be a solution? Mailing customers AT stickers to slap them on the tubes? 😂 seriously, sad. 😒

Edited by belgrade, 26 June 2019 - 11:03 PM.

#14 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

No branding of any kind is a major screw up. It’s not an esthetics issue, it’s not even an “identity” issue but it’s identification issue. The one which will be particularly important in 5, 10... years from now. How could something like that pass QC - assuming it’s not actually ordered that way which seems to be negated by a post by astronomics above - is beyond me. Sloppy is an understatement. Yes, it affects the scope’s performance exactly 0% but still... so what is going to be a solution? Mailing customers AT stickers to slap them on the tubes? seriously, sad.

lol belushi.gif

They distributed them out to paying customers rather than make them wait. Some call that customer service.

Besides, I'd rather have it labelless, it looks clean, sleek, classy, ect.  

• zjc26138, SteveG, havasman and 4 others like this

#15 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:36 PM

No branding of any kind is a major screw up. It’s not an esthetics issue, it’s not even an “identity” issue but it’s identification issue. The one which will be particularly important in 5, 10... years from now. How could something like that pass QC - assuming it’s not actually ordered that way which seems to be negated by a post by astronomics above - is beyond me. Sloppy is an understatement. Yes, it affects the scope’s performance exactly 0% but still... so what is going to be a solution? Mailing customers AT stickers to slap them on the tubes? seriously, sad.

The solution I am pushing for is new dewshield with labeling.  We would send them to the customer to simply replace the current dew shield.  Accidents happen and they admit it was a dumb mistake.  However, the words don’t make the scope.  The optical performance is there as well as our traditional color scheme of Aston Martin Grey and white.  

• zjc26138, SteveG, Lewis Cason and 16 others like this

#16 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:38 PM

I’m sure you’d love to buy a new car with no logo and model name , an iPhone with no Apple on it, etc. Again, no one argues that branded and non-branded AT 102EDs perform differently or they are worthless or whatever gave you a good laugh. But no reasonable person can defend a proposition that it’s ok, acceptable, fine, and a good customer service to have seemingly the whole shipment of the telescope arrive with no brand/model on it and distribute it as such with no prior warning. People found out after they opened boxes... I feel sorry for astronomics that always does the right thing. But it’s not only - though primarily it is - the manufacturer which dropped the ball.

#17 Jason Martin

Jason Martin

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:52 PM

That seems overly harsh to me, especially for such an easy fix. If I bought the scope to look at rather that through, it might bother me, but that simply isn't the case. I'd rather have it in hand than get an email that said I'd be looking at an extended delay over something as minor as a cosmetic snafu that can easily be addressed with an in home fix that doesn't even require shipping the ota back. I say hats off to Mike for acknowledging the oversight immediately and putting a plan in place to address the concern. Customer service isn't about perfection, it's about owning an issue if and when it arises. Just my .02 on the situation.

Jay
  • 3 i Guy, Lewis Cason, David-LR and 3 others like this

#18 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:39 AM

The solution I am pushing for is new dewshield with labeling.  We would send them to the customer to simply replace the current dew shield.  Accidents happen and they admit it was a dumb mistake.  However, the words don’t make the scope.  The optical performance is there as well as our traditional color scheme of Aston Martin Grey and white.  

Just be very careful with the font you choose... it can be a very dangerous decision around here.  rofl2.gif

• SteveG, Lewis Cason, beanerds and 3 others like this

#19 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:43 AM

I never bought anything in my life so I could flash a label. I used to mar everything I owned to obscure labels, from using a razor blade to spray paint to electrical and duct tape.

If I was in the market I'd gladly take an unlabeled AT102ED. Hell, I'd probably pay extra for one.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 27 June 2019 - 05:21 AM.

• 3 i Guy, MortonH, Steve Cox and 1 other like this

#20 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:09 AM

I'm not the least bit worried about the lack of a label on the dew shield.  I'm looking forward to looking through the scope when mine arrives.

• 3 i Guy and OldManSky like this

#21 Harold88

Harold88

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:10 AM

No branding whatsoever. 

Try to look on the bright side!

You can always put a stick with TeleVue or Takahashi so the people who see it think it was much more expensive. lol.gif

Edited by Harold88, 27 June 2019 - 02:13 AM.

• Bigzmey, Steve Allison, 25585 and 1 other like this

#22 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:08 AM

Would be plenty. My GP was fine for the 102.

#23 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:48 AM

I think this is a great option and resolution. Its a good thing that they have sliding dew shields! It could pass as a LZOS refractor without the label though. smile.gif

• mrsjeff likes this

#24 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

It was a surprise to us as well. Since it has no effect on the optical performance I made the call to ship them. We are in contact with the optical house getting a solution together. We have pulled all the invoices from this shipment and will have a solution in the near future. Bright side, the scope will be .00000000001 ounces lighter...

It's the Fender "No-caster" of telescopes.  smile.gif

Considering that the AT102ED seems to have already reached the status of "neo-classic", I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of labeling makes it more collectible.

Edited by howardcano, 27 June 2019 - 08:22 AM.

• Jaimo! likes this

#25 punk35

punk35

Apollo

• Loc: Adrian Michigan

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:44 AM

Maybe for those who might swap out their unmarked sliding dew shield for one that is marked, that might create a small market of unmarked sliding dew shields that could possibly be swapped for the fixed version many of us have. Since my lens cell retaining ring is marked with the scopes particulars, a plain slider might be nice although I’m very happy with the fixed dew shield. Is that even possible? 

• NYJohn S likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics