•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Updated AT102ED arrival

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#51 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

I didn’t look at M51, but I did look at M13, M57, M92 along with a number of stars. I definitely saw things I never saw in my 80mm, and this scope is sharp. No moon or planets tonight, unfortunately, and things clouded over so I wasn’t out for long.

#52 Jason Martin

Jason Martin

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

Nice refractor!  I can see M51 with it and it isn't even pointed at Canes Venatici !!! 

I think that is the first appliance brand / astronomy Dad joke I've ever heard.

Well done, Sir... Well done.

• eros312, clearwaterdave, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#53 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:53 AM

I think that is the first appliance brand / astronomy Dad joke I've ever heard.

Well done, Sir... Well done.

Sorry, just couldn't help it as my bizarre sense of humor has defined my life.  I was always at the head of my class in elementary school … literally at the head of my class, as the teachers usually moved my desk next to theirs to better deal with my running commentary. 

I'll be here all week.

• Jaimo!, Agatha and clearwaterdave like this

#54 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:05 AM

Same with me Pat.,If I didn't have the class in an uproar laughin.,I wasn't done yet.,lol.,They stood me in the corner.,holding an armload of history books.,I still cracked wise.,They should have turned me on to H.A.Rey.,lol.,cheers. 

• Agatha likes this

#55 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:28 AM

Can someone tell me the outside dimension of the end of the scope(Dew shield)?

I want to get a solar filter for mine.

Thank You!

I’ll measure it when I get home from work.

#56 astro42

astro42

Vostok 1

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

I’ll measure it when I get home from work.

Thanks Rono.

• Ronofthedead07 likes this

#57 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

I did get a quick peek at Saturn and the moon his morning. Both were impressive considering the horrible seeing. No false color...I think I saw a bit on Vega last night but it was barely noticeable.

#58 astro42

astro42

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

Good to hear that there is little to no false color.

Mine can't get here quick enough.

#59 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

Thank You!

The digital micrometer we have comes in right at 121mm for the OD.

#60 astro42

astro42

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Michael!

#61 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

The Chinese optics have come a long way.  I have been impressed.

#62 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

lol belushi.gif

They distributed them out to paying customers rather than make them wait. Some call that customer service.

Besides, I'd rather have it labelless, it looks clean, sleek, classy, ect.

Agreed. Count my vote for the sleek no branding look. If I ordered one that's how I would want it. I'm really liking the no branding look. I already have a Tak FC100DL, but I am seriously considering the smaller AT60ED or 72mm model as a compact travel scope, I just have to decide if I want the greater portability of the 60mm or the greater light gathering power of the 72mm. Does the AT100ED fit in a carry on bag? If I order today, can I get the no branded one?

The vocal minority complaining about this really haven't thought their complaints through very well. The front cell is stamped so there is no issue identifying the scope and resale will be fine. If there is any effect on value at all, the "rare" no branding scopes will probably be worth more for the collector value due to their uniqueness and rarity.

Kudos to AT for not making their customers wait and even planning to send them a replacement dewshield with branding. Makes me even more likely to consider purchasing an AT scope for my travel scope, if only.i could decide between portability and aperture.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 28 June 2019 - 10:19 AM.

#63 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

Agreed. Count my vote for the sleek no branding look. If I ordered one that's how I would want it. I'm really liking the no branding look. I already have a Tak FC100DL, but I am seriously considering the smaller AT60ED or 72mm model as a compact travel scope, I just have to decide if I want the greater portability of the 60mm or the greater light gathering power of the 72mm. Does the AT100ED fit in a carry on bag? If I order today, can I get the no branded one?

The vocal minority complaining about this really haven't thought their complaints through very well. The front cell is stamped so there is no issue identifying the scope and resale will be fine. If there is any effect on value at all, the "rare" no branding scopes will probably be worth more for the collector value due to their uniqueness and rarity.

Kudos to AT for not making their customers wait and even planning to send them a replacement dewshield with branding. Makes me even more likely to consider purchasing an AT scope for my travel scope, if only.i could decide between portability and aperture.

It is 24" long, so it will be a tight fit.

They currently are not branded, so yes you would receive one that way for sure.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#64 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

Labeling can be an art form in and of itself.  I like some (not over the top) labeling if done well and not easily worn off.  In earlier times most labeling was engraved printing or script with most labeling being confined to the focuser body and the front retaining ring/flange of the objective cell.  Eyepiece labeling too consisted of engraved labeling around the top or on the upper barrel of the eyepiece.  Eyepieces like TeleVue eyepieces still have engraved labeling on their eyepieces and while for most this may not be a primary selling feature, it is a positive.  Whether on a telescope or an eyepiece an engraved label will not peel off, rub off or fade with time.  I am ok with a good label on a dew shield if done well (not a stick on decal, but rather a screen printed label).

Classic Unitron telescopes came with an engraved focuser with the fonts changed thru the years.  Some later scopes had stickers rather than labels and also added a Unitron label to the dew shield or the telescope main tube.  Never a good look in my opinion.  Even some screened on labels, while looking better, do tend to wear, especially on eyepieces and especially on those handled a lot particularly if there is lotion or bug spray on one's fingers.  I would rather have no label at all then a badly worn label.

Pictured below are images of my Astro-Tech AT 102ED, from about 12 years ago, sometimes referred to as the 102 EDf model because it came with a FeatherTouch focuser made for it and available as an option at purchase.  See the labeling on the focuser which is engraved as is the labeling on the front ring of the objective assembly.  The dew shield labeling is screen painted into the finish and is much nicer that a stick on label.  The last photo shows the focuser of my Astro-Tech 111 f/7 triplet APO.  The labeling on this one is found on the rotating ring on the focuser and is there in triplicate on the ring.  It is not a sticker but appears to be part of the very nicely done green paint on the ring.  This is the first version (much larger and heavier) of this scope.  The focuser is a smaller version of the original focuser found on the TMB SS130 triplet apo.  On the first version of the AT111 surprisingly there is no labeling at all on the ring at the top of the objective cell or on the flange at the far end of the dew shield.  The TMB SS130 does have labeling in this location.

Barry Simon 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7498 (1) - Copy.jpg
  • IMG_7500 - Copy.jpg
  • IMG_7502 - Copy.jpg
  • IMG_7503 - Copy.jpg

Edited by BarrySimon615, 28 June 2019 - 11:36 AM.

• eros312, Agatha, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#65 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

Thank You!

The O.D. of the dew shield is exactly 5 inches (127 mm) according to my tape measure.

Something in the 120-130mm range should work.

Edited by Ronofthedead07, 28 June 2019 - 01:42 PM.

#66 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

Mine arrived today.  Pictured below with the 80mm SV Access and the SW120ED. Dew shield is extended fully for both the 80mm and 102mm.

The Finish on the AT102 ED is outstanding.  The focuser is very smooth.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 8F2B9FC0-48CF-477E-A673-4F050729E1AE.jpeg

Edited by russell23, 28 June 2019 - 02:58 PM.

• Astronomics, Jon Isaacs, punk35 and 11 others like this

#67 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

AFAIK the "Aston Martin" color scheme is unique to Astronomics. So even with a blank dew shield the scope would still unmistakably be an Astronomics scope. 

I guess another dealer/distributor could weasel the same paint scheme out of the manufacturer but that would be pretty scummy. Besides, since the lens cell is fully labeled it would be a pretty dumb move.

I thought the concern about that lens cell labeling was kind of funny. Despite the labeling concern the real answer to knowing what you got is that you trust a reputable seller like Astronomics ... which when it comes to things like glass is what we all do anyway. Now if someone was concerned about reselling ... 

#68 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:06 PM

I just had a chance to set it up for a quick daytime test.  Used the 30mm APM UFF (24x) and the 6.5mm Morpheus (110x).  There was just a small amount of CA visible on the edge of some dead tree branches in full sunlight. Seems very sharp, but the nighttime test will probably have to wait until Sunday unless skies are a better than currently forecast for tonight.  

The scope is pictured below on my Superpolaris mount with the lighter aluminum tripod.

Attached Thumbnails

• F1F2B9C4-2480-4F1D-9346-19308EB37CCC.jpeg

Edited by russell23, 28 June 2019 - 06:07 PM.

• punk35, stevew, Lewis Cason and 9 others like this

#69 punk35

punk35

Apollo

• Loc: Adrian Michigan

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

Dave, I hope you like it and it meets your expectations.  I’m looking forward to your thoughts about it. Enjoy 

#70 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

Dave, I hope you like it and it meets your expectations.  I’m looking forward to your thoughts about it. Enjoy 

I’m sure it will.  It certainly has the portability edge.  The photo below shows the SW120ED in its case with the AT102 in the bag that came with the Orion Tritech II tripod.  The fit is perfect, but I will probably get something with more padding.  For now the Orion bag protects the AT102 and I have not been using the Orion bag for the tripod since the tripod is always set up with the WO Z61.

Before I ordered the 102 I tested the 120 with a 101mm Aperture mask and I don’t think I will miss the extra 18mm if I get to take the 102 with me on trips. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 30A2AA44-8751-45BA-98FC-667C8EB24E29.jpeg

Edited by russell23, 28 June 2019 - 06:24 PM.

• punk35, CeleNoptic, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#71 punk35

punk35

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

AFAIK the "Aston Martin" color scheme is unique to Astronomics. So even with a blank dew shield the scope would still unmistakably be an Astronomics scope. 

That’s what I was saying in post # 35. The Aston Martin Grey sets it apart from the others. 

Also the beautiful metal-flake paint, which is never visible in all the photos I’ve seen, may set it apart from other similar offerings.

I personally think the paint is understated here ( I get it, it’s about the views through the instrument ), but a beautiful finish on the tube is also part of its personality.  

Beautiful to look at and through.

• mclewis1 likes this

#72 punk35

punk35

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

Dave, my AT102ED lives in a padded Orion case also. Plenty safe enough from a lite bump going through a doorway etc. Of course that never happens....👀

• russell23 likes this

#73 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:01 PM

Mine arrived today. Pictured below with the 80mm SV Access and the SW120ED. Dew shield is extended fully for both the 80mm and 102mm.

The Finish on the AT102 ED is outstanding. The focuser is very smooth.

What a beautiful scope!

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 102.

Edited by Tyson M, 28 June 2019 - 11:02 PM.

• russell23 and mrsjeff like this

#74 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:29 PM

I’m sure you’d love to buy a new car with no logo and model name , an iPhone with no Apple on it, etc. Again, no one argues that branded and non-branded AT 102EDs perform differently or they are worthless or whatever gave you a good laugh. But no reasonable person can defend a proposition that it’s ok, acceptable, fine, and a good customer service to have seemingly the whole shipment of the telescope arrive with no brand/model on it and distribute it as such with no prior warning. People found out after they opened boxes... I feel sorry for astronomics that always does the right thing. But it’s not only - though primarily it is - the manufacturer which dropped the ball.

Somewhere around 2005 I got one of the very 1st Nissan Murano's (black) to hit US shores and immediately took it to some guys I knew that had a West Dallas car club and got them to shave it of all identification. They did a fine job and it came out completely slick, end to end. The wheels had a center Nissan ID and that was it. It was a lot of fun watching folks try to figure out just what that thing was for about the 1st 6 months.

It kinda chapped the guys at the dealership but that was OK too.

• joseph07081 and eros312 like this

#75 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:55 AM

I ordered one of these yesterday. I can’t wait to take it to Jon Issacs dark sky location and put it through the test.

I'm confident this is going to be a keeper.

Jack

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics