•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Public service announcement...ZWO EAF installed on a FT 3.5"- pics inside

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chongo228

chongo228

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

ZWO says Feathertouch focusers are supported on their site.....I think it's the smaller focusers that it will fit without modification

. I just installed the ZWO EAF on my 130APO with a FT 3.5 inch dual speed. I had to drill out two little bump-outs you can see in (first picture) the supplied ZWO bracket to line up with the holes in the focuser body. The focuser knob assembly is held in place by two 6 x 32 x 1/2in bolts. I had to get 6x32 x 1in bolts due to the added thickness of the bracket. A one inch screw will bottom out and ruin the threads on the brass track attached to the bottom of the draw tube. Add three washers to space

this bolt back just a bit so you don't bottom out and ruin the focuser. A screw 3/4 of an inch long might work but I wasn't sure i'd get enough thread engagement. I went with the longer one spaced back to ensure I had enough strength. Over all i'm pretty happy with it. Drilling two holes out was easy. It took me longer to drive to the hardware store.

In testing it moved the focuser with my 1600mm-c and filter wheel no problem in my shed. I Have not done a test outdoors while imaging yet.

I have a Moonlite on my other scope....so far I like the fact that the ZWO can operate without the hand controller. The ML has to go from the computer, through the hand controller, and then into the motor to work. The ZWO doesn't have a slip clutch so I can't manually turn the knob, i'm electric only. Their manual hand controller should be out next month so it's not a big deal. ZWO says it's coming out with different brackets to fit a wider selection of focusers so I'll still probably switch to theirs when its available but this seems to work for now. I will report back after a few test runs.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8136.jpg
  • IMG_8137.jpg
  • IMG_8138.jpg

• Jim Waters, Francopoli and OldManSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics