•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 140mm F7 doublet FPL53

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:13 AM

Below, I have attached a photo of my APM 140 mm f/7 Doublet on Vixen SXP mount and Berlebach Planet.

@Far Star - Is that the new Baader Flip mirror? If so, how is it performing?

Emil

#52 Far Star

Far Star

Mariner 2

• Loc: Germany

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:55 AM

@Far Star - Is that the new Baader Flip mirror? If so, how is it performing?

Emil

Yes - it's the new Baader FlipMirror II. It performs very well. For visual, it's like a good "normal" diagonal. The FlipMirror II has an adjustable T-2 thread on top for eyepiece clamps, but my sample came already perfectly aligned (A star in the center of the eyepiece is in the center of the camera display, too). I sold my Vixen flip mirror which was slightly misaligned and not adjustable; furthermore, it had a terrible short 2" nosepiece with safety undercut.

Ulrich

Edited by Far Star, 27 November 2019 - 08:55 AM.

• CounterWeight likes this

#53 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:21 AM

They've been out for a while. I got the smaller focuser version last year and have really enjoyed the scope. For my tastes though it is too big for my AVX. Minor complaint is that the 2"-1 1/4" twistlock adapter doesnt work well. The 2" clamp on the focuser works just fine.

I disassembled mine and polished the edges of the brass clamp slightly and then used a touch of SuperLube on the threads which improved it. I still took the 2" and adapter off and replaced them with Baader Click-Locks. The rest of the focuser seems pretty good, not as good as an SI FTF but pretty good.

#54 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

I disassembled mine and polished the edges of the brass clamp slightly and then used a touch of SuperLube on the threads which improved it. I still took the 2" and adapter off and replaced them with Baader Click-Locks. The rest of the focuser seems pretty good, not as good as an SI FTF but pretty good.

Thanks; I may give that a try. This is my first experience with a twistlock and have enjoyed the operation of the 2" control. I've just been using a standard clamp ring adapter for standard duty.

#55 Artimus183

Artimus183

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Ga

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

I have not yet since I assumed it was my personal preference to upgrade. If the general consensus is that it should (or at least used to) come with a 3" ill reach out to Markus. 

Also, the plate in the pic above is not a 3 inch, so I feel I received what was advertised. Best I am hoping for is a part # to a bar that fits wo having to tap new holes..

-Edit-

Just reached out to Markus to ask if/where I can buy the D style plate. Will update here once I hear back.

Michael over at APM recommended I get the 330mm D plate. While that would fit, it would be sticking out past the end of the tube (the OTA is shorter w/ a 3.7" focuser), so I decided to get an Altair Astro 250mm D plate+ handle, and reuse the current handle + plate on my 100ED which needs a longer V anyhow. 

And just to add - overall the APM scope has been fantastic. I am new to this so this isn't an expert opinion by any stretch, but for me, the APM 140 is MILES better than the SW 100ED in every regard (except perhaps portability, but that's why I have both grin.gif ), and I am very glad I plunged for the bigger scope.

Art

• JKAstro, SteveG, CounterWeight and 2 others like this

#56 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:06 AM

The SW Esprits are nearer to APM for overall quality I expect. However for their price class, the SW 100EDs have very good optical quality.

How the APM 140 matches a SW 150 ED, is fairer IMO. 

• Artimus183 likes this

#57 Artimus183

Artimus183

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Ga

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:58 AM

The SW Esprits are nearer to APM for overall quality I expect. However for their price class, the SW 100EDs have very good optical quality.

How the APM 140 matches a SW 150 ED, is fairer IMO. 

Oh for sure. I just meant to say that I expected a big upgrade from my 100ED and I got exactly that and then some.

The 100ED is a great buy, especially as a first scope, and I'm glad i got it. I just wish it had a better focuser...

Edited by Artimus183, 01 December 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#58 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

Oh for sure. I just meant to say that I expected a big upgrade from my 100ED and I got exactly that and then some.

The 100ED is a great buy, especially as a first scope, and I'm glad i got it. I just wish it had a better focuser...

Moonlites are a great improvement on the OE focuser, or a GSO dual speed. 

• Artimus183 likes this

#59 justusliebig

justusliebig

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:01 PM

Did someone install a sesto senso on it? Curious if id need adapters.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

#60 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

Here is my 140 F7 doublet. However only the objective came from APM, the rest was built by Parallax Instruments. Oversize tube (7+"), largest Moonlite focuser, Parallax rings, and a hard to miss yellow paint. Not sure who they built it for but not as light as the APM ones I think.

Parallax-140a-1024.gif

I am a sucker for scopes I can buy locally and see physically, especially ones that are different. Thinking about going visual maybe with doublets only (except the AT-115EDT in New Mexico).

Edited by photoracer18, 09 December 2019 - 07:25 PM.

• denis0007dl and 25585 like this

#61 Far Star

Far Star

Mariner 2

• Loc: Germany

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:47 AM

The color takes getting used to. But the large diameter of the tube has an advantage. Because of the larger distance of the light cone from the inner tube wall there are fewer disturbing tube currents. For this reason, Carl Zeiss Jena also built their refractors with oversized tubes. For example, the 100 mm AS and APQ refractors had a tube diameter of 135 mm.

Edited by Far Star, 10 December 2019 - 04:55 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics