•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some questions concerning home made equatorial wedge for a Meade LX90 8 inch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Foster75

Foster75

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:54 PM

I plan on making my own equatorial wedge for my Meade LX90 8 inch and I have viewed a lot of utube for ideas. One of the utubers said that he had to buy the attachment plate for his LX90 (required for this model if you buy Meade's wedge) before he built his wedge. I do not understand why he would have to buy and use this plate if you bolt your home made wedge to the base of your tripod.  Am I missing something here? Help please.

Your thoughts on my next choice please. I have decided to not make my wedge adjustable. In my opinion the wedge would be stronger and more ridged if I glued and screwed my bottom and top plate to the angle required for my local area. If I go to the mountains or out of town with my scope I will use its, go to feature anyway. The wedge is for long term viewing and picture taking which I will be doing near by.

I am a fairly talented wood worker and not afraid to do this, besides I am bothered by paying 500 dollars for a part of the telescope that should have came with it after spending almost two thousand dollars. My opinion. I am all for needing important lenses etc. but all the companies have gotten way overboard with buying this and that. I have been out of the astronomy game for over thirty years and man have things changed. One can buy a telescope for five hundred dollars and before you know it you have spent two thousand dollars accessorizing on a five hundred dollar scope.  

Anyway I am getting off subject. I am also open to any ideas you might have on a home made equatorial wedge. Please keep in mind I am making this for a Meade LX90 8 inch telescope. Thank you for your time.

#2 Justlooking456

Justlooking456

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: 45 miles South of the center of Texas

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:51 AM

Following, but I was considering making one from 17-4 PH Stainless Steel.

#3 Airlid

Airlid

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:39 AM

IMHO Unless you are mounting you wedge to a pier and leaving it permanently set-up, you will want the wedge to be adjustable to allow for slight changes each time you set up your telescope.  The adjustment is very important to be able to align the DEC axis of the scope to the North Celestial pole.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics