•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI071MC power consumption

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zicklurky

zicklurky

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:40 AM

I'm trying to decide between a modded DSLR or a ASI071MC to use on my travels. I don't always have mains power, so will have a 10Ah Tracer powerpack (flying becomes a pain with bigger powerpacks). So I'm working out how long the battery will last on something like a ASI071MC.

The DSLR is more straight-forward for an easy travel setup, but when I go to South Africa night time temperatures are about 10-15 C.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Gemini

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

Depending how deep you cool the ASI017MC, it consumes 3A max (in fact all Pro models consume that much). So you'll get about 3 hours off the 10Ah battery...a bit more if you don't cool very hard. 10-15°C shouldn't take too much cooling to get to 0°C, so I'd think you'd get ≈ 4+ hours off the pack for cooling. Less if you run a mount also. But I haven't run any tests, so your mileage may vary.

How are you going to charge the battery pack when you get there? You'll have to have main power somewhere. If so, can you ship another battery pack (or two) there before you go? Will you have a vehicle while you image? If so, hook into the battery on the vehicle.

Just my penny.gifpenny.gif

#3 zicklurky

zicklurky

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:09 AM

Ok thanks, hmmmm I'll have to think about if 3 hours is long enough, or reach out to the airline to see if they'll allow a bigger battery pack on board. Currently I fly with a 10Ah in hand luggage. I always get pulled over in security, but never had a problem once they inspect it.

Re mains, in the safari camps I go to (Kruger Park), the huts have mains power, but there's big trees around most of the huts annoyingly, so need to setup the scope quite away from the huts. Some of the huts would probably do, but you can't select a specific hut, you get allocated one once you arrive. So can charge batteries etc during the day.

Re the mount, I'm probably going to get a Skyguider Pro, so that wont need any additional power. I want to do widefield of the LMC, SMC etc so will be using 85-135mm lenses, so a Skyguider should do fine.

I guess I could get another battery for the wife to take with her, she wouldn't be happy though haha!

• Dynan likes this

#4 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

I’ve been experimenting with cooling with my 071. You should not have to cool lower than +5c to reach the point of greatly diminishing returns. My own belief has become that I was cooling my camera far more than is actually necessary. I would test your battery capacity by cooling about 15-20c below ambient and seeing how long it lasts (before you purchase more capacity, and before you leave).

Edited by AhBok, 27 June 2019 - 08:24 AM.

• Dynan likes this

#5 zicklurky

zicklurky

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

Interesting, I wouldn't think the power draw would be too much if I'm only cooling 10-15 degrees or so. Yeah will do plenty of testing before I go if I get a ASI071MC - my next trip is still 3 months away.

#6 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

If your camera is like mine and you cool down slowly and not deeper than you need, I believe you will find the power draw closer to .75-1 amp. I measured mine. It drew less than 3 amps with the cooler wide open.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics