•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Red Cat Telescope and Cameras

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:07 PM

I am thinking about purchasing a Red Cat telescope but gave up on DSLR's a long time ago. I really like the FOV that a telescope like the Red Cat can provide.

Is it possible to use an ASI-183MM Pro (mono) and the ZWO filter wheel on the Red Cat or is the back focus just too short?

Also I assume that the ASI-183MC Pro (color) will work just fine. But I'm not sure of that either.

Any help would appreciated.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 27 June 2019 - 11:09 PM.

• AstroBri84 likes this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:34 PM

A dedicated astro camera like the ASI183 and a filter wheel should be no problem for the RedCat in terms of back focus. However, I'm not so sure that you could add an OAG into that setup (you didn't ask about that configuration, but I'm answering since it could be a common combination). You might be able to do a thin OAG, but not something large and thick (obviously, I guess).

• PirateMike likes this

#3 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:43 PM

I have the Redcat and the ASI1600 with filter wheel. In addition to that, I have 16.5mm spacer plus another 12mm spacer. So, plenty of room to have an OAG. In fact, I saw a photo of someone's Redcat setup on Youtube and they had an OAG. For mine though, since the focal distance is so short, I picked up the guide scope mount for the Redcat and a ZWO mini guide scope. Works great.

• PirateMike and gozer like this

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:52 PM

Thanks James, Thanks Lead Weight.

I haven't really looked into the specs for the scope but you guys make me feel much better about buying one now that I know that they work with more than just a DSLR.

FYI, I'm not thinking about using an OAG, just a mini guide scope like Lead Weight does.

Now to find a light weight mount for it. I'm thinking about the Sky Watcher Star Adventurer of something like it. Any advise in this department?

Miguel   8-)

#5 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:01 AM

I have the star adventurer as well. I'm positive it will handle it since I know you can image with it on the iOptron Sky Guider (the guy from AstroBackyard has done this). But I've yet to put it on the star adventurer. Though, one of the reasons I got the RedCat was just for this purpose. I expect to travel with it since it's all pretty compact. 

• PirateMike likes this

#6 AstroBri84

AstroBri84

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hoboken, NJ

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

Miguel,

Did you end up going with the 183 camera? I'm looking at getting one myself and am torn between the 183 and the 533. I'd love to hear your experience with it so far - thanks!

#7 Woodbridge_Dave

Woodbridge_Dave

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:27 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong.  The Redcat is Petzval therefore spacers are not needed.  Just thread your gear directly on and dial the grip to reach focus.  Done. 

• danielguo and gozer like this

#8 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes, and oh... wait... YES!  (To all of that)

ASI2600, Filter Drawer, OAG

ASI294, EFW, OAG

One of the great things about the ZWO ecosystem of products is that the Filter Wheels and OAG takes the same space as the spacers that come with the cameras, so you can mix/match the pieces and maintain the back focus.

Of course, with the helical focuser on a petzval design the back focus is a lot more forgiving while maintaining flat.

In short... YES!

Redcat 51 / AZGTi
Redcat 51 - AZGTi - Packaging
2A08C74F F379 4D1E B393 836EF9C3ABCE
Sadr/Crescent
Veil - Redcat 51, ASI294, ASIAIR
Veil - Redcat 51, ASI294, ASIAIR
Redcat 2600
C/2020 F2 (Neowise)
Redcat / CEM40 / ASI2600 / ASIAIR Pro

Edited by davidparks, 30 July 2020 - 02:08 PM.

• niteskystargazer, gozer and AstroBri84 like this

#9 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:58 AM

Miguel,

Did you end up going with the 183 camera? I'm looking at getting one myself and am torn between the 183 and the 533. I'd love to hear your experience with it so far - thanks!

Hello AstroBri84,

I decided to not purchase a Redcat as it would be pretty much the same FOV as my 60mm Tak.

I did purchase a 183 but haven't really used it yet as life has been a major disaster so far this year. I will be getting back to imaging soon. smile.gif

Miguel   8-)

• AstroBri84 likes this

#10 AstroBri84

AstroBri84

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hoboken, NJ

Posted Today, 12:26 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes, and oh... wait... YES!  (To all of that)

ASI2600, Filter Drawer, OAG

ASI294, EFW, OAG

One of the great things about the ZWO ecosystem of products is that the Filter Wheels and OAG takes the same space as the spacers that come with the cameras, so you can mix/match the pieces and maintain the back focus.

Of course, with the helical focuser on a petzval design the back focus is a lot more forgiving while maintaining flat.

In short... YES!

That is one incredible piece of kit right that, what a setup!

Does that tracker offer Dec tracking - am I reading that right?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics