•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding "push-to" encoders to my Dob

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

I know this product has been discussed extensively here: https://www.cloudyni...o/#entry7635072 You will need to read thru several pages to find actual user reports. Feedback by purchasers of the product on the vendor's website are very positive: https://romer-optics...ds-of-dobsonian

I just ordered the kit ($99 shipped) for my Zhumell Z8 and will add my own review here when installation is completed.

Edited by mjulihn, 02 July 2019 - 06:43 PM.

• kanadalainen likes this

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:33 PM

I gather it's designed to be used with a phone or tablet?

Wired, I presume?

#3 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

Yes, Android or iPhone 5s or later, but not iPad as I discovered today. Not wired, connects to encoders via Bluetooth but requires a simple power supply/battery pack.

Edited by mjulihn, 02 July 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#4 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

I received the EZ PUSH TO kit promptly from the vendor, and installed it on my Z8 last night in about 30 minutes. I found the online step-by-step installation video helpful as no "hard copy" documentation comes with the unit. I downloaded the free app to my iPhone, and it is available for Android devices as well. According to the vendor the EZ Push To app does not work on iPad. The kit includes a USB power cable, but you need to provide a DC power supply (battery pack or phone charger). Once plugged in, a red LED on the alt encoder starts flashing to let you know it is active. Using the app, you then connect via Bluetooth to the encoders. There are a couple of additional steps to follow in order to set up your Dob. 

The vendor provides excellent customer service. I contacted him several times with questions and each time received a prompt and helpful reply via email.

Edited by mjulihn, 06 July 2019 - 10:08 PM.

#5 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

This add-on for your GSO Dob provides "push to" functionality similar to Orion's Intelliscope series. One advantage I see is that the app includes a sky map to use when locating objects. I will report here when I have had the chance to run it thru the paces.

Edited by mjulihn, 06 July 2019 - 10:10 PM.

#6 kanadalainen

kanadalainen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

Nice!  Let us know what you think of the quality of this kit.  I've heard some good things about the Romer push to system.

#7 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

The quality of parts included with the kit seems excellent. Initial read-outs for Alt, Az, and local GPS coordinates appear to be highly accurate. I find the app to be only moderately intuitive, and it takes a bit of time to understand and use.

Edited by mjulihn, 07 July 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#8 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

The YouTube installation video shows plugging in a standard USB 5v "power bank" to power the encoders. However, the two I tried have a safety feature that automatically shuts it off when the load is too small. This was confirmed as a known issue by the vendor. I was able to take the wall plug transformer from a typical cell phone charger and attach it to the USB power cable to power the encoders. But I still need to find a power bank that works or another portable battery solution.

#9 Phil1

Phil1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.C.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

I recently bought the kit and installed it on my Z10. The apps from the play store would crash. The seller suggested loading the old app off the store site. I did it seems to work inside well. I'm wanting to try it under the sky. But my weather forecast isn't looking good for the next few days. The fan battery pack that came with Z8 should work for the power supply my Z10's did.. Good luck with yours mjulihn. As you said the customer service is great.

Edited by Phil1, 11 July 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#10 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:50 AM

Yes, the 8-cell (12v) battery pack that comes with the Zhumell dobs for the cooling fan will power the EZ Push To encoders. But I hope to find a power bank that will work with the USB power cord provided with the kit instead of taking the AA rechargeable batteries out of the battery pack each time they need to be recharged.

#11 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:10 AM

I believe I have solved the issue of my 5v power bank shutting down automatically after about 30 seconds when powering the encoders (a known problem with some power banks). Last night I plugged my iPhone charging cable into the second USB port on the power bank at the same time, and it remained on. Eureka!

#12 Phil1

Phil1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Sptunik great idea, my power bank has two USB outlets. So I'm going to do the same.

#13 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:36 PM

Let me know if that works for you as well.

Miles

#14 Phil1

Phil1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:33 AM

The weather hasn't let me try it outside. But I did inside it worked for over a hour and was still on when I turned it off. I'm sure you have found a solution for the power pack turning off.

#15 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:43 PM

For tinkerers, there's a DIY option.

#16 Phil1

Phil1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Finally got a chance to use the EZ Push To tonight. It was hot and humid so I didn't stay out very long. I won't get into user errors believe me there were a lot of them.  The EZ Push To worked for me once I got most of the user errors under  control. I believe this is going to be 99 dollars I'm glad I spent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics