•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics Zenithstar 61 on Skyguider Pro

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:54 PM

Has anyone used the Zenithstar 61 on the Skyguider Pro? I have been thinking of getting a Redcat but the slightly longer focal length of the Zenithstar 61 is intriguing.

#2 mosentos

mosentos

Explorer 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:54 PM

I use a Zenithstar 70 on my Skyguider Pro, as a portable setup.  It seems to be at the edge of the weight capacity.  But, for wide-field shots, it works fine.

Edited by mosentos, 02 July 2019 - 10:01 PM.

#3 bluesky30

bluesky30

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

Hi mosentos,

did your portable setup include a guidescope?

I'm considering to go for the ZenithStar 73 with a guidescope on the Skyguider Pro. Or maybe the new William Optics GT71. But both of them will hit the 11lbs / 5kg mark.

Do you know the weight of our setup?

#4 Flyer007

Flyer007

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: MA-USA

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

Davidparks has a Z73 on AZ-GTI with full guiding.  I remember seeing another member with it on skyguider pro without issue.  I just got a Z73 arriving next week and have both these mounts.  I don't have guiding yet but will post what I find with a Sony A7III soon.  Here is link to Davids setup. https://www.cloudyni...venturer/page-2

• eros312 likes this

#5 bluesky30

bluesky30

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

Davidparks has a Z73 on AZ-GTI with full guiding.  I remember seeing another member with it on skyguider pro without issue.  I just got a Z73 arriving next week and have both these mounts.  I don't have guiding yet but will post what I find with a Sony A7III soon.  Here is link to Davids setup. https://www.cloudyni...venturer/page-2

Thanks for the link, Flyer007. I'm glad I found this forum and took the time to dive into it. As more and more as I read, I'm getting a bad feeling in my stomach about choosing anything bigger than the ZS 61 for a mobile setup. There are some incredible setups here combining a ZS73 with a SkyGuider Pro / Star Adventurer. But as much as I'd love to get a ZenithStar 73 or a WO GT71, the setup will be close or likely north of the max payload.

So I'm nearly back to my orignial plan with a ZS63 and a SGPro for a PCfree mobile setup. I hope, I can use it without guiding for 1-2min exposures. And if I want to, attach a guidingsope + cam and a Laptop to may get 5-10min exposures with PHD2 on the backseat ( - ok, behind the steeringwheel).

As AlienRatDog pointed out, the WO Redcat is a decent telescope. But saving some more weigth compared to the ZS63 the shorter focallength is an even bigger tradeoff for me. I don't want to loose any more fl than the 360mm of the ZS63 when I'm accustomed to my 8" Newtonian with a fl of 1000mm.

When I decide to go the heavy laod way, what upgrades to the SGPro would be wise to get as safe as possible for capturing pinpoint sharp pictures with >1min exposures?

I'm thinking about replacing the iOptron wedge with the WO latitude base mount and using the Neewer Panorama Tripod Mount for a smoother DEC adjustment.

For precise PA I would stick to Sharpcap Pro rather than to a Polemaster cam because of two reasons: firstly I cannot imagine a camera directly attached to the RA axis could recognize a missalignment from that very axis better than a camera, mounted 20+ cm away from that axis (when rotating the system around the RA axis during the alignment process). And secondly, Sharpcap is cheaper. Even after 25 years of renting a SCPro license I still would have saved some money compared to buying a Polemaster cam. (I've never used a Polemaster cam in person, so maybe that thing is worth that much. At the moment I don't know that.)

#6 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:47 PM

I’m personally stuck in between the Redcat and the Z61, have a bit more reach with the 61mm (though a bit slower) which would be nice since I have a full frame camera, but the Redcat looks easy to use and may be easier to start with...

Edited by AlienRatDog, 06 July 2019 - 05:47 PM.

#7 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:16 PM

Trevor from Backyard Astronomy did a number of shots with a ZS61 on your mount of choice:

https://astrobackyar...star-61-review/

...but without a guide scope.

I've got mine fully loaded on a CEM25P -- the mount hardly knows it's there smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• focuseronz61_1.jpg

• eros312 and Kittelsen like this

#8 bluesky30

bluesky30

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I know Trevors page / YT channel - his work is great and inspiring. That‘s where I‘ve got the idea of that mobile Setup some time ago.

I can see that your setup is no match for that cem25 mount. I‘ve got a SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro. But that is hardly mobile either...
  • Kittelsen likes this

#9 Flyer007

Flyer007

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: MA-USA

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:22 AM

bluesky30 you asked what upgrades to the SGPro.....for me it would be looking at the iPoler camera that is a direct replacement of the internal SGPro "scope".  I have never seen the Neewer Panorama Tripod Mount modification, sounds interesting.

#10 bluesky30

bluesky30

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:22 AM

Flyer007, I don‘t want the iPolar cam as I would have to use a PC for PA everytime. I‘d like to be able to use it completely standalone for some occasions.

I found that Panorama Tripod mount in serveral postings and it seems like a real Upgrade to that minimal plate with zwo screws that comes with the SGPro.

#11 Chris-Fi

Chris-Fi

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

I‘m running the WO Z61 on a SkyGuider Pro since a month. It’s a pretty nice combination!
Tested it it until 120sec unguided and haven’t had any issues so far!
Also I have now added a Altair Hypercam 183C TEC and it seems to work really well.

Edited by Chris-Fi, 06 September 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#12 feygan

feygan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

I‘m running the WO Z61 on a SkyGuider Pro since a month. It’s a pretty nice combination!
Tested it it until 120sec unguided and haven’t had any issues so far!
Also I have now added a Altair Hypercam 183C TEC and it seems to work really well.

I'm considering buying an Hypercam 183C TEC with the same setup as you. Would you recommend it to a "friend"?

#13 jedorme

jedorme

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:49 PM

After reading all that Trevor Jones had to say about both the WO Z61 telescope & the iOptron SGP, I ordered this combination a while ago when WO was selling this as a package with a number of other things thrown in, like the 61A field flattener, a case for the scope, the iOptron tripod for it, etc.  Since purchasing it, the only thing I have added is the iPolar system for polar alignment as I found my senior status knees weren't loving having to practically crawl on the ground to do it manually.  I also went thru an exercise to get the T-ring adapter & appropriate extension rings to attach my Fuji mirrorless camera to the telescope for astrophotography, my prime objective in getting all of this.  I am totally pleased with everything except for the wedge or base that iOptron includes with the Sky Guider Pro.  I found it not very rock solid & fidgety when making minor changes in Ra or Dec to polar align.  So I just got the William Optics Vixen Style mount that they make to use with the SGP, & it really completes the package.  Now it makes doing the polar alignment very smooth & easy.  Here is how the SGP looks when using the WO mount.

Attached File  IMG_3526.pdf   272.26KB   97 downloads

• UKalwayscloudy likes this

#14 Tesco

Tesco

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:02 AM

I have the zenithstar z61 on star adventurer,  Firstly the z61 does not fit the SA you have to buy extra clamps and dovetail which set me back a further £60 that said you might want to do that anyway as a screw is too flimsy and the clamps are rock solid and cosmetically look better.  

Its tracks fine and fits the 61 like a glove I would not go to 73 

also the 61 is pretty tight in widefleld and apart from putting too much on the mount 73 would be a pain in the butt without a GOTO

build quality its a mixed bag the mount itself is good but there are various cheap plastic that falls off and the polar illuminatior is cheap garbage  

i get 2 mins subs unguided no problem 

Edited by Tesco, 24 October 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#15 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:01 AM

I'm using the SGP with ipolar with a camera lens right now. Debating the Redcat/Z61/Z73 question right now. f/5.9 seems slow to me after using a f/2.8 camera lens stopped to f/4. My thinking is that the Z73 is just too hard to point without goto as well.

Has anybody tried the Meade or TS-Optics 70/71Quads - the Meade was the second lightest on the AstroBackyard list of possible SGP scopes. Given their low weight and faster aperture I'm wondering why we do not hear more about them. 

I'm with jedorme on the alignment. It is a pain to take a laptop out but it does make it so much easier, especially now I can use my MacBook under native MacOS. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics