•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2020 Winter Star Party Logo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:04 PM

Hello everyone, just got back from a WSP 2020 meeting and although time is short, we thought that we would open our logo contest to get some design ideas. We have done this in the past but for some reason didn't do it this past year. I told the board that I would post it on Cloudy Nights in hopes that we could get some quick responses. So there you go, come up with a cool design that incorporates our trademark snowman, a telescope, flamingos maybe palm trees and the Southern Cross. If we pick your design you get a free ticket to the 2020 WSP!!! Below is what this year's logo was like so that you can have an idea. We will keep this going for a week.

Attached Thumbnails

• WSP Logo.jpg

Edited by crazyqban, 02 July 2019 - 10:05 PM.

#2 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

Hi, Sergio.  What are the chances that they will lengthen the event by a day or two?  That's a long drive for some people for only 6 nights.  Even letting folks in on Sunday afternoon would be better...  

Okie Tex and Texas both give 8 nights for example...

Dave

#3 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

Probably not very good. The Girl Scouts want us out by noon on Sunday and I would imagine that most of the staff has to work on Monday after being off for a week. I can bring it up but I don't think that it will happen.

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

I mean adding a day or two at the beginning, not the end...  Enter sunday, leave the following sunday gives 7 nights...

Dave

#5 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

Ok, like I said, I’ll bring it up but it’s probably too late for this year.

#6 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:27 PM

Given the news on the SCAS website: https://www.scas.org...er-star-party/ 

"At this juncture, we cannot guarantee that we will have electrical power. Therefore, the use of "quiet-type" smaller generators, such as the Honda EU2000, will be permitted to run equipment. We are requesting that attendees share generators, if possible, to limit the number of generators to a minimum. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.that they cannot at this time guarantee power"

I'm trying to determine the best alternative for providing power to my two rigs for 5-6 nights.  What was the scene like for the 2019 party during the evening with respect to generators - were the generators on during evening hours to directly power equipment or were they only utilized during the daytime to recharge power supplies, etc.

TIA and clear skies!

#7 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

That's a bummer.   Yes generators ran all night for equipment power.

#8 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

"At this juncture, we cannot guarantee that we will have electrical power. Therefore, the use of "quiet-type" smaller generators, such as the Honda EU2000, will be permitted to run equipment. We are requesting that attendees share generators, if possible, to limit the number of generators to a minimum. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.that they cannot at this time guarantee power"

Isn't that a left over from last year ?

#9 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

The top of the page says "2020 Winter Star Party".

My family and I attended the WSP 25 times since 1991. We wouldn't miss it. We will continue to support the WSP. The Keys in February, gathering with people we only see once a year, and fantastic sky's for astronomy, make it worth the trip.

It seems, though, that there are some insurmountable problems at the site. My family and I stay in an RV, so we don't need external power, toilets, or showers. This can be a deal breaker for those camping in tents. I'm thinking that it might be time to find a new site for the WSP if these issues can't be addressed. I realize that SCAS is doing all that they can. Some of the issues may require meeting new code regulations, that can cost lots of dollars.

The WSP is part of our life that we plan for the entire year. I sincerly hope SCAS can continue to host the best star party ever.

Bruce

#10 JNDiller

JNDiller

Sputnik

• Loc: Munhall, PA

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

My deal breakers are:

-Lack of bunkhouses- with adjacent parking, as before. New chickees would be fine!

-Lack of power on the field.

I wonder if a GoFundMe site or a similar effort would help the Scouts and the SCAS.

John D.

#11 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

I have to use a CPAP machine for sleeping.  The lack of reliable power will prevent me from coming.

I want to come, I want to support the event well into the future but I just can't if this electrical thing is not sorted out...

Now, if i could run a small generator overnight and partway into the day.........  

Dave

#12 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

Now, if i could run a small generator overnight and partway into the day.........  

The note from last year specifically PERMITTED small quiet gennys.

#13 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

Looks like reservations are OPEN. I got my tickets this morning I think.

#14 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

I just signed up... can't wait!!

#15 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

I registered last night.  As above, can’t wait!

#16 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Registration 2020 WSP opened 16 September

#17 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:20 AM

2019 WSP there were many attendees who shared generator electricity. Amazingly they were so quiet that you could stand next to a Honda 3000 and have a quiet low level conversation. they just run at idle when so lightly loaded. So impressed I went out and bought the honda 3000is. bring your own looong extension cord if you want to share it (on the berm)

#18 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:39 PM

Unfortunately, things did not come together and there will be no power this year. And yes, registration is open. I think that it would be wise to start a new WSP thread for 2020 since this one was just to try to get people to submit ideas for the logo. Thanks.

Sergio F.

#19 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

This thread on the WSP logo has run its course. As noted above,  please start a new thread for discussion of WSP 2020.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics