•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any Zeiss Telementor II owners?

classic
  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:11 PM

A little over a year ago I was gifted a Zeiss Telementor II OTA with a 16mm .965 Zeiss Ortho. I've never owned one and quite frankly found them a bit strange with that focus knob on top. In any case I was very grateful but not having a mount I just put it away and have never looked through it. So a few days ago surfing through the bay I saw an equatorial head that looked like it was for this scope. The price was right so I bought it and it shipped from Canada and a few days later it was here. Then a few days after that the seller contacted me and said that what he thought was a Berlebach tripod was actually the Zeiss tripod for the EQ head  I recently bought from him. He offered to me at a  very nice price so I got that too.

Today I put everything together...First light soon

Attached Thumbnails

• image2.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg

Edited by rolo, 03 July 2019 - 01:14 PM.

• Mr Magoo, astro140, Astrojensen and 13 others like this

#2 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

Now complete.

Attached Thumbnails

• image3.jpeg

• Mr Magoo, astro140, Astrojensen and 10 others like this

#3 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:20 PM

They are great scopes.  I still have one.  Great optics. 

#4 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:29 PM

Looks like a boring topiclol.gif

• Steve_M_M likes this

#5 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

or maybe not many owners

#6 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:18 PM

I am a wannabe. lol.gif  But, that is pretty much true of all classic scopes that I haven't already let slip through my fingers.  I have two sets of old Zeiss binoculars.  One of them is REALLY old, in my opinion anyway.  Made in the 1930s.  If these binoculars are any testament to all Zeiss products, I REALLY wannabe a Telementor owner.  LOL.

How are the views through your Telementor?

Duh!  I did not even take the time to look at your pics.  Wow!  I think it looks amazing.  Love it.

Edited by shredder1656, 03 July 2019 - 05:20 PM.

• rolo likes this

#7 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

• Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

I have a Telementor I and II. I've had the Telementor II the longest and it has outstanding optics. I recently acquired the Telementor I, so far it looks every bit as good. I really appreciate the peep sights...no batteries that will die and no worries of dew messing up a reflex sight. I also appreciate the Telementor II focusing mechanism that moves the lens cell rather than the eyepiece. The Telementor II is a telescope that truly gets 'out of the way' and lets you have extremely enjoyable observing sessions.

The setting circles on the T mount are really nice and movement on both axis is so smooth. I love these telescopes! I doubt I will keep both Telementors, I just need to decide which one I like the best. I'm sure you will enjoy it Rolo!

Shane 

• rolo, steve t, Sasa and 4 others like this

#8 Oliveira

Oliveira

Sputnik

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

I have a Zeiss Telementor II, a AS 63/840 and the C50/540. I can assure you that I don't want to sell neither of them! Beautiful optics!

• rolo, steve t, Sasa and 2 others like this

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

I’ve had both the Telementor T1 and T2 scopes and mounts. I sold the T2 but have kept  and will continue to keep my T1. They have excellent optics and very nice and kind of unique mechanicals. Congratulations! I think you’re gonna love it! 

• rolo, steve t, Piggyback and 1 other like this

#10 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:26 PM

I have Telementor and a Double Pass test of the lens shows excellent optics. Zeiss used  a different glass combinations then the standard BK-7/F2 so the color correction is better. To maintain that color correction use a mirror type diagonal vs a prism type.

- Dave 

• photiost, rolo, shaesavage and 3 others like this

#11 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:10 AM

I have Telementor and a Double Pass test of the lens shows excellent optics. Zeiss used  a different glass combinations then the standard BK-7/F2 so the color correction is better. To maintain that color correction use a mirror type diagonal vs a prism type.

- Dave 

Interesting, I will have to try a mirror. So far all I have used is a Baader T2 Zeiss prism. 

#12 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:51 AM

I have a T-2 that came with the sales-slip of the government controlled "Industrieladen Leipzig". Rolo, you managed to re-assemble a totally period correct, fantastic looking T-2 . Enjoy your newfound treasure...

Zeiss Telementor 2 von 1978 Verkaufsrechnung_01re.jpg

Zeiss Telementor 2 von 1978_07red.jpg

• Vesper818, photiost, astro140 and 10 others like this

#13 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:23 AM

I am getting one the weekend after next; fingers crossed. It’s been very well kept and am really looking forward to using it. I’ve been lucky to own premium telescopes (AP, TEC, Questar and a very good Polarex) but never a Zeiss. 
Roberto

Attached Thumbnails

• A9169AD9-5444-45AC-9362-ABE9D08DB853.jpeg

Edited by R Botero, 04 July 2019 - 02:26 AM.

• rolo, steve t, Mike E. and 6 others like this

#14 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:35 AM

Nice! Is it an 80´s model? Looking forward to your report.

#15 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

I have a CZJ T2 -- the very best classic 2" optics and mount available, period

An unconventional cemented objective, internal Crayford focuser, compact mount head, and top spiked tripod, but very well engineered with outstanding optical performance and extremely robust, smooth and precise working.

Oh yes, -- I found the looks a bit strange too in the start, -- but with all that quality packed into the little scope, I just learned to love it through actual use under the stars.

You found a gem, Rolo!

-- Allan

Edited by AllanDystrup, 04 July 2019 - 07:52 AM.

• rolo, steve t, Sasa and 3 others like this

#16 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:54 AM

Now you need to get a set of CZJ orthos to go with it!

Attached Thumbnails

• CBF25F91-8178-4E94-9757-47E9EADDE899.jpeg

• rolo, astro140, steve t and 5 others like this

#17 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:58 AM

Precisely, Terra!   --  I was just about to recommend that grin.gif 

I would add a CZJ 4x rotating EP holder with the best Amici diagonal ever made, to complete the T2 backend.

These components were made for each other, and they are unbeatable in my experience.

-- Allan

• steve t, terraclarke and Piggyback like this

#18 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

Now you need to get a set of CZJ orthos to go with it!

It came with 16mm Or. I've had the 10mm and I think a 6mm in the past and didn't see anything special about them. Pretty much like any other Ortho I've had so I sold them. I doubt I'll invest in any cause they're way overpriced IMO. Unless I find a "Rolo" deallol.gif

• shredder1656 likes this

#19 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

It’s all in the ensemble my friend! Style is everything! Make that fashion statement! :lol:

• rolo, steve t, Piggyback and 1 other like this

#20 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

Pretty much like any other Ortho I've had …

Yea well..., that's because the others cloned the Abbe Orthoscopic design (patent 1880)  wink.gif 

Still, the CZJ orthos are the best of all the Abbe design orthoscopic eyepieces I've tested.

And yes, as anything Zeiss these days, it's double nice and triple price...

-- Allan

Edited by AllanDystrup, 04 July 2019 - 10:30 AM.

• steve t, terraclarke, Piggyback and 2 others like this

#21 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

My tripod has the leather straps to prevent the tripod from over extending. This works well when the legs are fully extended. If the legs are 0-50% extended, the leather is nearly useless because the legs can spread too far apart. Sometimes I like to sit when I observe and I don’t want legs extended. Particularly if I am critically observing an object. 

I've noticed some of the tripods that came with Telementors have a metal accessory tray instead of the leather straps. Does anyone know if these trays are available anywhere? 

• steve t likes this

#22 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

Nice       I seem to recall  one for sale here    several months ago  at a good price   

I think the ad got buried  and the owner held onto it.............

• shaesavage likes this

#23 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

Nice       I seem to recall  one for sale here    several months ago  at a good price   

I think the ad got buried  and the owner held onto it.............

Thanks! I figured this will might be an item where I need to be 'in the right place at the right time'. I imagine they do not appear very often.

Shane

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#24 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:27 AM

My tripod has the leather straps to prevent the tripod from over extending. This works well when the legs are fully extended. If the legs are 0-50% extended, the leather is nearly useless because the legs can spread too far apart. Sometimes I like to sit when I observe and I don’t want legs extended. Particularly if I am critically observing an object. 

I've noticed some of the tripods that came with Telementors have a metal accessory tray instead of the leather straps. Does anyone know if these trays are available anywhere? 

I am searching for that tray table for my own early T-2, though I have never seen them being offered separately. As you can see on post  #12, leather straps on early T-2 units were attached to the grey colored tripod height adjustment clamps. Provides for stable viewing even when the legs are fully retracted. As a hack you might be able to drill threaded holes into the height adjustment clamps to attach your own leather straps. The later model tray table is held in that same position, offering much improved stability.

• terraclarke likes this

#25 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:23 AM

Nice! Is it an 80´s model? Looking forward to your report.

Yes, it’s a late 80s model. It comes without eyepieces though but pictures showed it to be in excellent condition. Will post back once I get my hands on it.
Roberto
  • steve t, Mike E. and Piggyback like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics