•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any Zeiss Telementor II owners?

classic
  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#51 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:00 AM

TM 2 obviously in like new condition. Tray table, instruction manual. Also like the miniature telescopes on the shelf. Baader Herschel prism great addition. Looking forward to your sun observation report. Enjoy your newfound treasure. Well done, Roberto.

• R Botero likes this

#52 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:37 AM

And testing it on a spotless Sun...

Attached Thumbnails

• 7D6334A2-B6CE-42B4-97FC-A62BC9208CB4.jpeg

• Mr Magoo, rolo, Astrojensen and 8 others like this

#53 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

TM 2 obviously in like new condition. Tray table, instruction manual. Also like the miniature telescopes on the shelf. Baader Herschel prism great addition. Looking forward to your sun observation report. Enjoy your newfound treasure. Well done, Roberto.

Thank you! The miniature scopes were Dave Trott’s. The Telementor was a lucky find and I hope I can eventually pass it on to its next owner in as good shape as I received it!
  • steve t, Mike E., terraclarke and 2 others like this

#54 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

And testing it on a spotless Sun...

So this is a spotless scope on a spotless sun. Quite fitting, don't you think so? Love you observation chair.

• R Botero and terraclarke like this

#55 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

Here's my Zeiss unification logo T-2 with a Zeiss bino-viewer.  

Love that Zeiss bino-viewerwaytogo.gif

• R Botero and Ben Bajorek like this

#56 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

@Roberto - great scope - congrats! why you think about giving it to the next owner - when understanding right you just got it before some days???

cs

Chris

#57 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:54 AM

@Roberto - great scope - congrats! why you think about giving it to the next owner - when understanding right you just got it before some days???

cs
Chris

Chris
Thank you. The scope will outlast me for sure...just planning ahead!
Roberto
  • Astrojensen and Mike E. like this

#58 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:30 AM

Congrats on your new scope Roberto, you’re gonna love it!

• R Botero likes this

#59 Spica24

Spica24

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

Mon Telemator with :

- Zeiss turret,

- Zeiss ortho O 6, 10, 16, 25,

- Zeiss H 16, 25, 40,

- Zeiss diagonal,

Attached Thumbnails

• Resized_20190718_190702.jpeg

Edited by Spica24, 20 July 2019 - 02:15 PM.

• Astrojensen, R Botero, Corcaroli78 and 9 others like this

#60 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Loc: North Coast 46°N 86°W

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:32 AM

The Zeiss 63/840 has had a sweet spot in my heart for many years. I have owned a few Telementors - both T1's and T2's. All were excellent scopes. I have also made custom OTA's for C63/840 and AS 63/840 lenses. My current edition is an original AS 63/840 OTA, which I love. I use it on many targets, but mostly for solar viewing; with a Coronado SM60 h-alpha filter or a Zeiss SFO-63 (very hard to find). Just a joy to use!

AS63_1.jpg

Pier.jpg

SFO63-2.jpg

• rolo, Astrojensen, R Botero and 8 others like this

#61 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Loc: North Coast 46°N 86°W

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:40 AM

Here I was comparing a Zeiss Telmentor 2, with a custom OTA I made using a Zeiss AS63 lens.

Solar_setup2.jpg

• rolo, Mak2007, Astrojensen and 10 others like this

#62 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:39 AM

Hi forum,

I have read with a lot of interest all your posts. For some time I have been thinking to get a Telementor as i am a happy owner (and regular user) of several vintage Zeiss Jena binoculars.

I have been planning to get this year a 102 f7 ED as upgrade of my current equipment,  but  I found a Telementor for sale including tripod (gray version) and 3 oculars. Diagonal / turret is not included,  and i question myself if it would be a good decision to buy it because, besides all the Zeiss aura and history, at the end is a 63 mm f/13 and I have some issues with portability as i live in an apartment block and it is not precisely a grab and go scope. My skies are not the best, therefore, the Telementor would be challenged in its performance (as i see it).

What can I expect besides the pride to own the telescope?. If i buy it, Will i need to find additional original accessories to attach a 2" diagonal and modern eyepieces? 

Many thanks for your kind answers

Carlos

• rolo and Astrojensen like this

#63 Retired Ipswich

Retired Ipswich

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

Owner here too, Ipswich, Suffolk, England.

Telementor II ‘scope

Sun Projection Screen

Zenith Prism

Quick Changer

Four Way Eyepiece Turret

H40, H25 & H16 Eyepieces 

O16 (with X hair insert), O10 & O9 Eyepieces

• rolo, R Botero, Mike E. and 1 other like this

#64 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:25 AM

Hi forum,

I have read with a lot of interest all your posts. For some time I have been thinking to get a Telementor as i am a happy owner (and regular user) of several vintage Zeiss Jena binoculars.

I have been planning to get this year a 102 f7 ED as upgrade of my current equipment,  but  I found a Telementor for sale including tripod (gray version) and 3 oculars. Diagonal / turret is not included,  and i question myself if it would be a good decision to buy it because, besides all the Zeiss aura and history, at the end is a 63 mm f/13 and I have some issues with portability as i live in an apartment block and it is not precisely a grab and go scope. My skies are not the best, therefore, the Telementor would be challenged in its performance (as i see it).

What can I expect besides the pride to own the telescope?. If i buy it, Will i need to find additional original accessories to attach a 2" diagonal and modern eyepieces? 

Many thanks for your kind answers

Carlos

From your avatar it seems obvious you are a Zeiss afficionado.

I have to carry stuff around all the time, yet I find my Telementor the number one choice when it comes to quick peeks at the night skies.  Enjoyed Jupiter, GRF, bands, moons nestled low between buildings two days ago. 30 minutes time window. Had a blast. I find the 4-Barrel Zeiss turret a real time saver. Use it all the time. Hate fiddling with single eyepieces in the dark. 

• rolo, Astrojensen, Corcaroli78 and 2 others like this

#65 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:20 AM

Night skies in the city and my Telementor.

Zeiss Telementor 1 Ausstellungsgerät_2014_02red.jpg

Edited by Piggyback, 10 August 2019 - 03:43 AM.

• rolo, Astrojensen, R Botero and 6 others like this

#66 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:41 AM

And when I find the time, a quick hop with the car and Telementor becomes the perfect nighttime instrument in the countryside.

Skywatching_1red.jpg

• rolo, Astrojensen, Corcaroli78 and 8 others like this

#67 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

My Telementor II has found a new home and the new owner is very happy with it. I'm glad I sold it cause its definitely not my kind of scope. The focus knob on top is an inconvenience for me and the RA slo-mo control can't be reached when scope is pointed east. Its also heavy for a relatively small 63mm refractor. For comparison, my Vixen 80mm f/11 Super Polaris refractor is lighter, easier to set up and easier to use.

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#68 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

Really sorry to hear that, rolo. Why is that focus knob an inconvenience for you? confused1.gif

#69 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

And when I find the time, a quick hop with the car and Telementor becomes the perfect nighttime instrument in the countryside.

attachicon.gif Skywatching_1red.jpg

Hi Stefan,

Wonderful and inspiring pictures! I see you have the Telementor I with helical focuser.  May I ask you how does the focuser perform?  If i use a 1.25 diagonal, would I need an extension tube? Is the Telementor I your main scope or a complementary one?

What is the aprox. total weight of the scope + mount /tripod?

Many thanks for your answer!

MfG / LG aus DK!

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 10 August 2019 - 03:57 PM.

• Piggyback and Defenderslideguitar like this

#70 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

From your avatar it seems obvious you are a Zeiss afficionado.

I have to carry stuff around all the time, yet I find my Telementor the number one choice when it comes to quick peeks at the night skies.  Enjoyed Jupiter, GRF, bands, moons nestled low between buildings two days ago. 30 minutes time window. Had a blast. I find the 4-Barrel Zeiss turret a real time saver. Use it all the time. Hate fiddling with single eyepieces in the dark. 

Hi Stefan,

You are right, i am just an afficionado with very bad sight frown.gif .  I grew visiting the ophthalmologist hearing how good the Zeiss optical stuff was but many years later when i lived in Germany (during my studies), I did not involve myself in anything related to Zeiss even living close to Oberkochen   It was until 5 years ago when I found a 10x50 Jenoptem in a danish flea market that I rediscovered the interest and slowly acquired a few binoculars and developed an interest in the history and engineering design of the brand. I did a journey to Jena, Wetzlar and Eisfeld ! I try to use my Zeiss binoculars regularly, so they do not live in a vitrine, but i take them with me when i do hiking or astro observations.

With luck, I hope to get a Telementor one of these days and enjoy it as much as possible as all of you, proud owners. 

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 10 August 2019 - 07:41 PM.

• Sasa and Piggyback like this

#71 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

My Telementor II has found a new home and the new owner is very happy with it. I'm glad I sold it cause its definitely not my kind of scope. The focus knob on top is an inconvenience for me and the RA slo-mo control can't be reached when scope is pointed east. Its also heavy for a relatively small 63mm refractor. For comparison, my Vixen 80mm f/11 Super Polaris refractor is lighter, easier to set up and easier to use.

I love the helical focuser on my T1!

• Corcaroli78 and Piggyback like this

#72 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:48 PM

Hi Terraclarke,

May i ask you what do you like from the helical focuser? how do you compare it with the focuser of the Telementor II?

Many thanks!

Carlos

#73 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

Really sorry to hear that, rolo. Why is that focus knob an inconvenience for you? confused1.gif

Its in an awkward location on top of the scope.

#74 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:20 PM

The helical is much better

• terraclarke likes this

#75 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

• Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:06 PM

Hi Terraclarke,

May i ask you what do you like from the helical focuser? how do you compare it with the focuser of the Telementor II?

Many thanks!

Carlos

I have a Telementor I and II at the moment. I am deciding which one I will keep. The helical focuser is more convenient, although I never had an issue reaching the Telementor II's focuser. Both focusers are really nice. The only negative thing I can say about the helical focuser is that it requires a little more effort to adjust in-focus due to carrying the weight of the diagonal and eyepiece, I think I lose a little accuracy.

Thomas has written in multiple threads how he likes the Telementor II focuser. I don't think you would disappointed with either telescope.

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78, Mike E. and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics