•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any Zeiss Telementor II owners?

classic
  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#76 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:20 AM

Carlos,

I have several classic Zeiss porro binos and small refractors (Teleminor, Telemator, APQ), on their original mounts. I've had both T1 and T2 models of the Telementor OTAs, and my personal preference is the T2. The Zeiss mounts are very well designed and rock solid for the scopes they were engineered to carry. They do have some minor quirks ("personalities"?), but you learn to live with those.

I see you are stationed in Denmark; I'm in a suburb just N of Copenhagen. If you like, feel free to swing by and have a look at my gear. Send me a PM, and we can sort out the practicalities. I may also have some Zeiss parts, that you may be interested in buying.

-- Allan

Edited by AllanDystrup, 11 August 2019 - 01:33 AM.

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78 and Piggyback like this

#77 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:21 AM

I have a Telementor I and II at the moment. I am deciding which one I will keep. The helical focuser is more convenient, although I never had an issue reaching the Telementor II's focuser. Both focusers are really nice. The only negative thing I can say about the helical focuser is that it requires a little more effort to adjust in-focus due to carrying the weight of the diagonal and eyepiece, I think I lose a little accuracy.

Thomas has written in multiple threads how he likes the Telementor II focuser. I don't think you would disappointed with either telescope.

You nailed it. There was room for improvement and that is why Zeiss came out with internal focusing for T-2. Even the very best of helical focuser will give you dead play when changing focusing direction. A fresh pack of grease may somehow help minimize, yet not eliminate the effect. The unique internal focusing mechanism of T-2 while offering a more precise "feel" and improved stability at the eyepiece end also allows for the use of long focus travel accs like bino viewers. In my book T-1 wins for aesthetic appeal. T-2 not necessarily a masterpiece of design but way more versatile.

• Astrojensen and Corcaroli78 like this

#78 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:52 AM

The really, really brilliant part of the Telementor 2 focuser is that it doesn't carry any weight from the accessories at all. This means you can use heavy accessories without worrying about stressing the focuser. The force needed to turn the focuser is also not affected and is always the same. And the accessories are threaded securely onto the main tube, without any risk of slipping or the focuser slowly sliding. When you use a big diagonal, a Daystar Quark and a Zeiss binoviewer, you start to really appreciate that. My Telementor 2 tube handles the Daystar Quark setup better than most of my other refractors. 

And due to the way the focuser is built, with the support points very widely separated, there's also zero image shift. The only thing I'm missing is a 1:10 fine focus knob. 

gallery_55742_4772_130798.jpg

• Corcaroli78, Mike E., Sasa and 3 others like this

#79 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:56 AM

BTW, anyone who has not invested in a H-alpha setup for their Telementor is SERIOUSLY missing out. It is a FABULOUS H-alpha scope. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Corcaroli78, Piggyback, Disciplus55 and 1 other like this

#80 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:05 AM

Speaking of solar viewing: If you're interested in outreach, I can recommend getting the solar projection screen. It allows group viewing and is very educational (provided that there are any spots, which the Sun seems to be in short supply of at the moment). The cheap H-25 and H-16 eyepieces work well, but I must confess that modern orthos and plössls work even better and the GSO and Sky-Watcher plössls are even cheaper than the Zeiss huygenians. Long before I got my Herschel wedge and the H-alpha setup, I used projection all the time with UO orthos and I've yet to destroy any of them. 

gallery_55742_4772_118707.jpg

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• astro140, Corcaroli78, Mike E. and 4 others like this

#81 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:34 AM

Carlos,

I have several classic Zeiss porro binos and small refractors (Teleminor, Telemator, APQ), on their original mounts. I've had both T1 and T2 models of the Telementor OTAs, and my personal preference is the T2. The Zeiss mounts are very well designed and rock solid for the scopes they were engineered to carry. They do have some minor quirks ("personalities"?), but you learn to live with those.

I see you are stationed in Denmark; I'm in a suburb just N of Copenhagen. If you like, feel free to swing by and have a look at my gear. Send me a PM, and we can sort out the practicalities. I may also have some Zeiss parts, that you may be interested in buying.

-- Allan

Mange Tak Allan!

I will send a PM. 

Carlos

#82 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

I machined an adaptor to mount my SM60 Coronado etalons on the Telementor 2. I also had to machine an additional counterweight as the SM60s are heavy. Unfortunately there was nothing to see, even in H-alpha.

Attached Thumbnails

• AF463F07-AD08-4BD5-875E-B65577DFAA5B.jpeg

Edited by R Botero, 11 August 2019 - 04:30 PM.

• rolo, Corcaroli78, steve t and 4 others like this

#83 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

I haven’t tried this setup. I may take it whilst on holiday in two weeks time to measure some doubles from Cornwall.  That’s south for the British isles...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2C887A93-DD9B-4641-B315-1E289F71086C.jpeg

• rolo, astro140, Astrojensen and 8 others like this

#84 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

I machined an adaptor to mount my SM60 Coronado etalons on the Telementor 2. I also had to machine and additional counterweight as the SM60s are heavy. Unfortunately there was nothing to see, even in H-alpha.

Nice setup!!

Oddly enough, the counterweights from the old Meade LXD 75 german equatorial mounts have *exactly* the same light grey color as on the blue-grey Zeiss Telementors... I purchased one for a song last year and though the LXD 75 counterweight is bored for a 20mm counterweight shaft, it can still be used on the 16mm shaft on the Zeiss T and TM mounts. 

I need the extra weight, when I use the Zeiss finderscope, a 2" Baader prism diagonal and a large 2" eyepiece, like the 30mm ES82. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen, 11 August 2019 - 03:03 PM.

• R Botero, steve t and terraclarke like this

#85 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

I haven’t tried this setup. I may take it whilst on holiday in two weeks time to measure some doubles from Cornwall.  That’s south for the British isles...

Ooooh! That's a Van Slyke bifilar micrometer! Schweeet. What magnification(s) are you using? What kind of accuracy can you get? How narrow doubles can you measure?

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• R Botero likes this

#86 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:27 PM

Hi Thomas

A little bit off topic but yes, I was very lucky to acquire an almost new sample of the BFM. I have not used it with the Telementor yet. I have used it with my 10” f/20 TEC. With it the screw constant is 2.4 thousands for 1” at around 200X; measures can be easily taken to 1/10th of a thou for bright pairs.  I measured Zeta Herculis with that instrument and its PA to +/- 5 degrees. Wider pairs would have better PA precision. 

Roberto

Edited by R Botero, 11 August 2019 - 04:34 PM.

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78, steve t and 2 others like this

#87 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:42 AM

IMG_3612.JPG

Quick moon snap between moving clouds, August 10. No photoshopping.

Used my Telementor 2 with Zeiss 5 barrel turret.

iPhone 5s handheld against Zeiss 16mm orthoscopic. Unreal looking light bridge on the limb...

High walled giant crater?

I love my T-2! So much to see...

• Astrojensen, Corcaroli78, shaesavage and 4 others like this

#88 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:59 AM

In answering to Thomas, I find that a 1:10 Starlight microfocuser will improve focusing feel with T2 considerably. Here is my setup with Beloptik custom made silver adapter ring. Oliver Smie of Beloptik also provided the special front lens Energy Rejection Filter for H-Alpha observations with custom made 0.7 Angstrom Beloptik Telezentric H-Alpha setup. Baader T2 quick connect, Baader Amici-prism, Baader Maxbright Bino and a pair of standard 20mm eyepieces complete the optical train. Had some great H-Alpha views during the last peak of solar activity 5 years ago. Can´t wait to put this back into action as soon as solar activity returns...

Beloptik Ev.3 PST 0,8A Baader 2x Telezentrik_04red.jpg

• rolo, astro140, Astrojensen and 8 others like this

#89 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

Hi Forum,

Today, two boxes from Germany arrived to my address. You can imagine what is inside laugh.gif .... 

20190820_120439.gif

So, today i became an owner of a nice Telementor II.  After the initial inspection and assembly, it seems to be in very good condition, the objective looks pristine and the mechanical parts of the mount work smoothly (I have only one minor issue with a fine adjustment lever, but can be easily solved).

20190820_120957.gif

So far, I am impressed by the build quality, it looks massive, like serious laboratory equipment, and gives the impression of a bigger telescope rather than 63 mm. It came with a H-25 and I see i need to get some additional accessories. I will certainly need to buy either 1,25 inch diagonal or a 2 inch adapter to use my current eyepieces.

20190820_123711.gif

I am really looking forward for its first light. According to the previous owner, it has not been used in 20 years, so this Telementor II needs to recover all that time! But of course, such a scope must bring some bad weather as usual...

20190820_115225.gif

Thanks for reading, I will post more pictures later!

Carlos

• davidmcgo, rolo, astro140 and 8 others like this

#90 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

Hi forum, 

This night, after some rain, the weather improved  and finally the Telementor II had its first light from my balcony.  As i do not have yet a 1.25 inch diagonal, i used a cheap 45* amici prism (that came with another telescope), the ES 2468 and the Baader Zoom.

20190820_221008.gif

I must say that I was not expecting what I saw: despite the cheap prism, Saturn was well defined against a dark blue sky. I pushed the scope to 100x and Saturn was still a clear gold disc with a sharp ring.  (at this point i remember what Thomas and Terra wrote about the scope begging for more magnification as there would not be tomorrow laugh.gif )

The second target of the session was Altair which was surprisingly crisp. I moved to Deneb and the star field around it was very nice. I closed this short observation with Albireo and ohhh.....  it was amazing, the double star clearly splitted at 35x showing clearly its distinctive colors with a dark bridge between the components.  In summary much better than expected for such a small aperture. 

Mechanically, The Telementor is solid, and, despite the position of the movement bars and the focuser, it was an interesting experience to use it, there is something special with this scope....  Of course i can be biased by the initial enthusiasm, but i can not deny the optical quality of the views in comparison with other telescopes with more aperture.

A final picture of the Telementor with his rich field friend :-)

20190820_124250.gif

Thanks for reading and clear skies to all!

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 21 August 2019 - 08:15 AM.

• davidmcgo, rolo, astro140 and 7 others like this

#91 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

It’s a beautiful scope! Zeiss optics are wonderful. You are going to really enjoy it Carlos. Congratulations!

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#92 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 AM

It’s a beautiful scope! Zeiss optics are wonderful. You are going to really enjoy it Carlos. Congratulations!

Many thanks Terra, 

I am sure I will enjoy it for the years to come. so far, i just need to get some accessories to use it to its full extent. I am currently familiarizing with the controls at night!

Carlos

• terraclarke likes this

#93 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:49 AM

Hi forum,

I am looking for a solution for mounting a finder on the Telementor (unfortunately not the Zeiss finder).  I have a 9x50 finder that would match very well the scope but i have not succeed to find a mounting ring or bracket with 80 mm diameter. 

How did you solved the finder issue?  any out of the box suggestions?

Thanks!

Carlos

• rolo likes this

#94 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted Today, 12:50 AM

I never felt the urge to mount a finder on my T-2. I use the standard peep hole sightings all the time. Very precise! I tried Telrad and it is a great addition. Zeiss was offering a 7x50 finderscope for Telementor but those are hard to find.

• Corcaroli78 and terraclarke like this

#95 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted Today, 07:04 AM

I never felt the urge to mount a finder on my T-2. I use the standard peep hole sightings all the time. Very precise! I tried Telrad and it is a great addition. Zeiss was offering a 7x50 finderscope for Telementor but those are hard to find.

I agree. The peeps work well and look cool. If you do want to add a Telrad, the base is easy to put on with zip-ties. Don’t marr the beautiful tube with that tape. (If you do use the tape, you can get it off with a hair dryer, but I would be afraid of residue effecting the paint).

#96 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted Today, 07:05 AM

This thread has inspired me to get my T1 out and set it up! It hasn’t seen starlight in some time.

Edited by terraclarke, Today, 07:06 AM.

• rolo and Mak2007 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics