•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC-itis!

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#326 Jsquared

Jsquared

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:44 PM

Yuri stated to me last week that this batch of 20 scopes goes through number 61. Mine would be in the batch of 20 after that (68) and he said late summer and before Mars. So tentatively he is catching up. But we all know there could very well be another delay or two. My original date was April/May this year.

My scope is 80. I called last week and he told me Christmas. It would be great to get a 140 in time for mars. I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#327 Swanny

Swanny

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 23 March 2020 - 11:38 PM

My scope is 80. I called last week and he told me Christmas. It would be great to get a 140 in time for mars. I’m not holding my breath.

Yeah....if he told you that I am assuming we are in the same batch of 20 (62-82).  And that sounds like a more realistic timeframe of when they produce.  I probably will need to buy something in the mean time....like a Mewlon 250.  lol!

• Paul Morow likes this

#328 astrophile

astrophile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NoVA Yellow Zone

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

... I’m not holding my breath.

Good, don't.  Find a used APM 140 now, use it and enjoy it, relax about the TEC, and when it comes in

a)  Do a shootout to appreciate both; then

b)  Sell the APM for what you paid for it.

You'll be out shipping cost of the APM--in exchange for many months of productive observing (if the weather ever clears mad.gif); some valuable personal experience; and much peace of mind!

#329 Jsquared

Jsquared

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

Good, don't. Find a used APM 140 now, use it and enjoy it, relax about the TEC, and when it comes in
a) Do a shootout to appreciate both; then
b) Sell the APM for what you paid for it.

You'll be out shipping cost of the APM--in exchange for many months of productive observing (if the weather ever clears mad.gif); some valuable personal experience; and much peace of mind!

My almost new Tak fc76dcu arrives tomorrow. The 1.7 extender arrives Friday. It’s small enough and light enough to use almost every night. I can dual mount it with my fc100df. I’ll patiently wait and with my copy of Luna Cognita arriving soon my evenings will be busy.

• Tyson M likes this

#330 mike17

mike17

Viking 1

• Loc: Colfax, WI

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

I will retire in 2 months and I think I will quit spending money.  I received the TEC160FL in January and just received the Astro-Physics Stowaway today.  This should keep me very happy in my retirement years.  

Tec160fl with stowaway.jpg

• Scott in NC, 3 i Guy, plyscope and 14 others like this

#331 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

Nice complementary combo, Mike! :waytogo:

#332 cdr dcm

cdr dcm

Lift Off

• Loc: Duluth, MN

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

Here’s TEC 180fl #095 on indoor tripod next to little sister (Tak fc100dc). The gray paint was a requested mod tha Yuri was nice enough to go along with.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6C0253EF-D9E5-421A-9ADF-FA7E7C2FA87C.jpeg

• eros312, Paul Morow, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#333 cdr dcm

cdr dcm

Lift Off

• Loc: Duluth, MN

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

ACFC8C39-2938-4C2E-AA1C-CFCF4ED38351.jpeg
A better photo
  • eros312, Tyson M and fate187 like this

#334 fate187

fate187

Mariner 2

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:39 AM

How long and how much does a TEC180FL weight with rings and plate? Would like to know purely for comparison reason to my CFF185 grin.gif

#335 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

Hi Michael,

CFF185 - incl. rings, 3,5" FT, CFF 3" rail, dustcap, handle:

- weight: 19,7kg

- length: 116cm (dewcap closed) 132,5cm (dewcap extended)

- DM tube: 18.5cm

- DM dewcap: 21.5cm

TEC180FL - incl. rings, 3.5" FT, AP 3" rail, dustcap:

- weight: 19.8kg

- length: 113cm (dewcap closed) 136.5cm (dewcap extended)

- DM tube: 20.1cm

- DM dewcap: 23.4cm

So CFF is more compact and has 5mm more aperture - but the TEC has the F-word :D

cs

Chris

• fate187 likes this

#336 PowerM3

PowerM3

Mariner 2

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

I like the unique factor. Curious why you chose gray?

#337 ares53405

ares53405

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Racine County, WI

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

I like the unique factor. Curious why you chose gray?

That TEC 180fl looks great!  Well, all things considered (name and photo), my guess is that it matches the color of a US Navy ship.  Am I correct?

Clear skies,  Mark

• Jsquared likes this

#338 ares53405

ares53405

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Racine County, WI

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

That TEC 180fl looks great!  Well, all things considered (name and photo), my guess is that it matches the color of a US Navy ship.  Am I correct?

Clear skies,  Mark

To cdr dcm.....I'd like to add, "Thank you for your service"!

Clear and steady skies to you sir.  Mark

• Jsquared likes this

#339 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 01:44 PM

...woww! I´m just wowwed! smile.gif

Played around too long with these 3" and 4" scopes infected again by comparing this and that and this and that...

Tonight next to the new for me FC-76DC on an AZ-mount I put the TEC-140 on an AZ-mount too - after looking around a bit on the high standing moon with the little Tak I changed over to the TEC and wow - simply wow! so much more detail so crisp so clear it´s not just another league it´s another game...

Yes the small scopes are nice and cute but a 140mm apo is just wow! smile.gif so if you must choose - safe your bucks and get a used TEC-140 or comparable scope and be happy.

Yes I know that is not a fair comparison but man - these TEC´s are really good! smile.gif

cs

Chris

Edited by donadani, Yesterday, 01:45 PM.

• eros312, Tyson M and fate187 like this

#340 Jsquared

Jsquared

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 03:53 PM

...woww! I´m just wowwed! smile.gif

Played around too long with these 3" and 4" scopes infected again by comparing this and that and this and that...

Tonight next to the new for me FC-76DC on an AZ-mount I put the TEC-140 on an AZ-mount too - after looking around a bit on the high standing moon with the little Tak I changed over to the TEC and wow - simply wow! so much more detail so crisp so clear it´s not just another league it´s another game...

Yes the small scopes are nice and cute but a 140mm apo is just wow! smile.gif so if you must choose - safe your bucks and get a used TEC-140 or comparable scope and be happy.

Yes I know that is not a fair comparison but man - these TEC´s are really good! smile.gif

cs
Chris

Funny you should do this comparison. I’ve a fc76dcu and my Tec 140 is on order

• donadani likes this

#341 fate187

fate187

Mariner 2

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

Ha! Had my Tak FC100DC out for the moon tonight, and quickly switched to my TEC140ED as well. The difference was very much apparent after going back to the Tak after something like 2h of observing with the TEC. Much brighter view with the bino of course. After the switch to the Tak the view was almost as if the Tak was not sharp step.gif

• donadani likes this

#342 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 11:53 PM

Funny you should do this comparison. I’ve a fc76dcu and my Tec 140 is on order

...maybe try it with Pentax 5mm or 3.5mm XW - if you don´t know thesse - they are great with the TEC :)

#343 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Today, 12:21 AM

Ha! Had my Tak FC100DC out for the moon tonight, and quickly switched to my TEC140ED as well. The difference was very much apparent after going back to the Tak after something like 2h of observing with the TEC. Much brighter view with the bino of course. After the switch to the Tak the view was almost as if the Tak was not sharp step.gif

...and that DC has a really good lens! ;) 

I used the TEC on the DM6/Planet combo and found it not too much more hassle around then the small Tak on a Skydob3/Report combo to be honest - or course some more kilos but both need two ways and are ready to go - so the TEC140 is really easy to get ready :) 

I took a closer look with the 76DC to Gassendi  yesterday trying to catch some details around the two central mountains... - I safed the view when walking over to the TEC. Had in the 5mm Pentax XW and woah! all the fine details in the crater the rimae systems jumped simply in my face - so many things you have to concentrate to get a single one first out from this overflow :) 

Scanning around I stopped at Plato trying to count the crater inside - three of them were easy to see without trying too hard - after checking the net - I should have seen at least 4-5 but I´m not sure if light conditions were optimal for that yesterday... will check back tonight with a map and try different magnifications too :)

#344 fate187

fate187

Mariner 2

Posted Today, 03:38 AM

Good morning Chris,

even more coincidently I also observed Plato for quite some time yesterday. With the Zeiss Apo bino and 1.7 GPC I made a sketch to compare for the actual craterlets being there. Here is good post: https://www.cloudyni...ato-craterlets/

According to this I saw 6 craterlets: A, B, C, D, g, h.The first 4 were easy and h being the hardest to discern. I even thought I saw a seventh, but that turned out to be not real...

#345 donadani

donadani

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Today, 04:01 AM

Hi Michael,

great - thanks for your report!

Now I know what to look for ;) found another report of a guy with a 130mm apo who saw all seven of them yesterday evening - will repeat it this evening, look a bit closer and count again ;)

cs

Chris

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics