•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC-itis!

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#351 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

This was posted today in Yuri's fb group.

I thought I would share this here as well, to all those afflicted or think they will become afflicted...

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1588262279271.jpg

Tyson - thanks for posting... I saw this a few days back when Yuri was discussing it and I was a little suprised to see it.  I have owned three TEC OTA's purchased from Yuri and was fortunate enough to tour the TEC "factory" in Golden, CO some years back.  From the slightly less then ½ day I spent at TEC I came away knowing that TEC is the "real-deal" when it comes to making telescopes.  They control almost every single part of the process from optical manufacturing to OTA fabrication.  At one point, TEC was even producing focusers for their OTA's but have switched back to the FT3545.  So, it may be better to outsource some of the production to SME (subject matter expert) type of companies on expensive, hard to produce parts. 

When the conversation with Yuri, Alex and Eduard got around to optical fabrication Yuri told me that they do not use interferomtery on every serialized lens.  They did use test plates and double pass auto collimation among some other methods.  

In any event, seeing Yuri's post surprised me (in a good way) that interferometry has become part of the standard production process.  As good as the star test, double pass, foucault etc. is - these tests are qualitative.  Sure, they can help discern a great optic from an average optic from a poor optic; but, only an interferometer is able to assign wavefront ratings and truly measure the lens or mirror under test.  When an interferometer is used in a production environment two things happen:  (1) It tells the optician when the lens meets the minimum spec and is, therefore, finished;  (2) It certifies the lens.

In the TEC io.group Yuri mentioned that he can test up to a 100 lenses per day.  And, while I am not privy to the TEC testing process, interferomtery is very sensitive to temperature deltas in the glass.  Meaning that after you touch a lens to move it onto the test stand, the interferometer will give wildly inaccurate readings because the surface of the glass changed shape from the heat of your hands touching it while moving it into place on the stand.  Sometimes you need to wait 15 minutes or more depending upon the size of the lens under test.

It would be very good to know what wavelength (color) Yuri is testing at.  The most common is red (635nm) but most refractive optics are nulled in green.  If testing in red, the results when testing in green will be worse.  There is no reliable way in which you can use simple math to convert the PtV/RMS/Strehl in red to what the equivalent would be in green because of the effects of spherochromatism.  

Edited by peleuba, 01 May 2020 - 09:47 AM.

• Kunama likes this

#352 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

Tyson - thanks for posting... I saw this a few days back when Yuri was discussing it and I was a little suprised to see it.  I have owned three TEC OTA's purchased from Yuri and was fortunate enough to tour the TEC "factory" in Golden, CO some years back.  From the slightly less then ½ day I spent at TEC I came away knowing that TEC is the "real-deal" when it comes to making telescopes.  They control almost every single part of the process from optical manufacturing to OTA fabrication.  At one point, TEC was even producing focusers for their OTA's but have switched back to the FT3545.  So, it may be better to outsource some of the production to SME (subject matter expert) type of companies on expensive, hard to produce parts. 

When the conversation with Yuri, Alex and Eduard got around to optical fabrication Yuri told me that they do not use interferomtery on every serialized lens.  They did use test plates and double pass auto collimation among some other methods.  

In any event, seeing Yuri's post surprised me (in a good way) that interferometry has become part of the standard production process.  As good as the star test, double pass, foucault etc. is - these tests are qualitative.  Sure, they can help discern a great optic from an average optic from a poor optic; but, only an interferometer is able to assign wavefront ratings and truly measure the lens or mirror under test.  When an interferometer is used in a production environment two things happen:  (1) It tells the optician when the lens meets the minimum spec and is, therefore, finished;  (2) It certifies the lens.

In the TEC io.group Yuri mentioned that he can test up to a 100 lenses per day.  And, while I am not privy to the TEC testing process, interferomtery is very sensitive to temperature deltas in the glass.  Meaning that after you touch a lens to move it onto the test stand, the interferometer will give wildly inaccurate readings because the surface of the glass changed shape from the heat of your hands touching it while moving it into place on the stand.  Sometimes you need to wait 15 minutes or more depending upon the size of the lens under test.

It would be very good to know what wavelength (color) Yuri is testing at.  The most common is red (635nm) but most refractive optics are nulled in green.  If testing in red, the results when testing in green will be worse.  There is no reliable way in which you can use simple math to convert the PtV/RMS/Strehl in red to what the equivalent would be in green because of the effects of spherochromatism.  

The pictured chart states that the test wavelength is 543 nm, i.e., green.

Edited by Heywood, 01 May 2020 - 11:31 AM.

#353 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:53 AM

The pictured chart states that the test wavelength is 543 nm, i.e., green.

It does indeed.  I missed that.  Thank you.

#354 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:15 PM

TEC's suck.

I mean how foolish to eliminate light scattering, polish-dependent surfaces in the optical train.  Much better to add big hard to thermally equalize air gaps and additional dependencies of precise polishing and perfect coating selection and application on additional surfaces.

I mean just LOOK at that beautiful objective - nice obvious GREEN coatings (green's good, right?  the color of money), and it has gen-uine fluorite!

Compare it to my TEC.  What a piece of junk!  As you can plainly see, they didn't even include an objective!  No glass!  You can see the aluminum rear cap plainly, no glass, no coatings.  Bah!  That danged Yuri "Vic's your Daddy" Petrunin.  A real piece of work.

whistling.gif

- Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010300_zpsf917ba98.jpg
  • P3221326.jpg

Edited by jrbarnett, 01 May 2020 - 03:16 PM.

• Jeff B, eros312, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#355 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:31 AM

Does anyone know if the recent tec 140 increase price applies to those who’ve paid deposit with invoice and are waiting for scope delivery or just new orders ?

#356 Thom

Thom

Sputnik

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

Does anyone know if the recent tec 140 increase price applies to those who’ve paid deposit with invoice and are waiting for scope delivery or just new orders ?

It applies to people who have already paid deposit with invoice and are or were awaiting shipment. I was notified last week.

• Ken Sturrock likes this

#357 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:51 PM

It applies to people who have already paid deposit with invoice and are or were awaiting shipment. I was notified last week.

Ha! I knew it! The last price increase worked in the same way!

#358 ryderc1

ryderc1

Viking 1

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:17 PM

Ha! I knew it! The last price increase worked in the same way!

I believe those who already had placed an order were offered a free pair of TEC rings ($330 new) for the scope if they maintain their orders or a waiver of the normal cancellation fee if they cancel their order within a reasonable amount  of time. Seems like a very fair approach to me.

#359 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

I believe those who already had placed an order were offered a free pair of TEC rings ($330 new) for the scope if they maintain their orders or a waiver of the normal cancellation fee if they cancel their order within a reasonable amount  of time. Seems like a very fair approach to me.

Oh, I agree.  Very fair.  Actually, more than fair!

Heywood

#360 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:18 PM

I believe those who already had placed an order were offered a free pair of TEC rings ($330 new) for the scope if they maintain their orders or a waiver of the normal cancellation fee if they cancel their order within a reasonable amount of time. Seems like a very fair approach to me.

I looked through my email and found my notification. Since rings were part of my order the blow was softened to a total increase of “only” 470$. Attached was an amended invoice. Sigh

Repeat after me “it will be worth it”

#361 ares53405

ares53405

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Racine County, WI

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:51 PM

I looked through my email and found my notification. Since rings were part of my order the blow was softened to a total increase of “only” 470$. Attached was an amended invoice. Sigh

Repeat after me “it will be worth it”

“It will be worth it”, “It will be worth it”, “It will be worth it”.  I own a TEC 140ED and can officially say, “It will be worth it”!  waytogo.gif

You're going to have a lot of fun with that scope!  Wishing you clear and steady skies.  Mark

• Jsquared likes this

#362 Joel-1793

Joel-1793

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

TEC 200FL f/8 on AP1200 mount, SN #001 from 2005 in Arizona!

Attached Thumbnails

• MVIMG_20200122_140008-02rs3.jpeg
  • IMG_20190422_143549rs3.jpg

• 3 i Guy, plyscope, Jeff B and 14 others like this

#363 Jeronimo Cruz

Jeronimo Cruz

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:44 PM

WOW!!!

PM sent Joel.

#364 Noltimier

Noltimier

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

Hello everyone.

I put in my order for a TEC 140FL last August through Anacortes Telescope. 

Happy to say it finally arrived yesterday...All I can say right now is this piece of equipment is a work of art!

Even more unbelievable is that tonight through Monday we are supposed to have clear skies.

TEC 140 FL WITH CASE.jpg

I'll post an image of the objective next.

Mark

• plyscope, Jeff B, M44 and 12 others like this

#365 Noltimier

Noltimier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

Here is the objective.

TEC 140 FL OBJECTIVE.jpg

I hold all of you responsible for taking me down this pathsmile.gif

Thanks!

Mark

• Paul G, Scott in NC, Jeff B and 5 others like this

#366 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

Nice, Mark! :waytogo:

#367 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

Hello everyone.

I put in my order for a TEC 140FL last August through Anacortes Telescope. 

Happy to say it finally arrived yesterday...All I can say right now is this piece of equipment is a work of art!

Even more unbelievable is that tonight through Monday we are supposed to have clear skies.

attachicon.gifTEC 140 FL WITH CASE.jpg

I'll post an image of the objective next.

Mark

Did you buy that case from TEC?

Thank you!

Heywood

#368 Noltimier

Noltimier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:07 AM

Hi Heywood.

The case was ordered from TEC via Anacortes at the same time as the telescope, rings and carrying handle.

Mark

#369 Haydon

Haydon

Mariner 2

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:22 AM

They are excellent cases- lighter weight than Scopeguard style cases and yet very well built and robust.  They have great storage too.

#370 WE349A

WE349A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:22 PM

Just chiming in to say that after 18 months or so of ownership, I still love my 140FL. Perfect size, amazing quality.
  • Scott in NC, Heywood, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

#371 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:50 PM

TEC 140 set up for observing tonight!  If you look closely you can see Jupiter and Saturn in the background (upper right of the image).

9DCD6E03-B674-45D6-8349-06EAD0366891.jpeg

• Catapoman, 3 i Guy, plyscope and 8 others like this

#372 jena100

jena100

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

I bought a TEC140ED back in 2014.  Naturally, I looked through old internet posts for encouragement that I'd get my scope quickly.  I think I found a couple of posts where people said they got their scopes in two months.  I even had a chance to talk to Yuri about it at an astronomy show.  My scope took over 11 months.  I was dismayed that it took so long, but I was not surprised.  Going back to the days when I bought a Cave 8-inch reflector in 1973, I've found that it's reasonable to double any verbal or printed time estimate for a custom-made piece of astro hardware.  If it arrives sooner, then count yourself lucky.

Tom Cave was a friend of mine going back to 1946. He started Cave Optical in 1953 if I remember correctly. You are right about time quotes from any custom telescope maker. They mean well with the quotes, but just let them work and enjoy the results when you get it. Tom made a pier mounted 8" f-7 for me in 1963. I sold it in 2006 while waiting for my TEC 140. Dumb me. I wish I had that Cave. I do have the 140 S/N 84. I will not be dumb again. I think I will have it placed in my casket.

• R Botero likes this

#373 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

Took the 140 with me for some fun after work yesterday...pushed the color a bit for this blue hour shot - because...why not!?!  I always tell my colleagues that the best scope at the observatory is the one in the foreground lol.gif

MLSC_TEC.jpg

• Catapoman, Scott in NC, 3 i Guy and 4 others like this

#374 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:06 PM

Anyone know the light range of TEC lens coatings ? Does it pass infrared ?

#375 alan.dang

alan.dang

Mariner 2

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:30 AM

Anyone know the light range of TEC lens coatings ? Does it pass infrared ?

It should. When you look at Baader, they quote the focus shift to 1000nm.
  • Jsquared likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics