•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC-itis!

• Please log in to reply
386 replies to this topic

#76 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:09 PM

When I heard Yuri was thinking of making the 200 again about two years ago, I got on a list of interest.  Yuri told me I was the first on the list.  I made a down payment in June of last year.  The estimate was December but I think Yuri is getting close to finishing the first one now.  Just a few days ago he had the first lens set together with a Strehl of .953.  He is going to work on it some more to get the Strehl higher.  I don't know if everything else is ready to go and how long it will take to finish off the lens but I feel my wait will be over soon.

I can't wait for you to get your TEC 200 Kent, and tell us all about it. I waited three years for my 32". It was killing me by the end, but the best things in life are worth waiting for.

#77 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:39 PM

I arrived at the Winter Star Party this February, and you get this feeling of energy. Then, way off in the distance you see this telescope, sitting high above everything else, imposing itself on the entire star party as if to keep all the other little scopes in their place. Then it draws you in, and you finally come face to face with the TEC 200.

Even now as I look at the photo I've posted, it fools me to. It doesn't look that big. I should have stood in the photo so you could get a sense of scale. When looking over the TEC 180, it feels like a scope you could grab one handed and throw under your arm. The TEC 200 feels like a scope you and your best friend look at for a while and discuss how you are going to move it safely before you dare try mount it. A lot of my thoughts and feelings relate to the value of each scope, as a mishap with the 200 could be likely something you would never recover from, emotionally or financially. 

My 32" dob weighs 420 lbs, and before I had it in the obs it got wheeled out every night. Setting it up was child's play that took a few minutes. As I looked at the TEC 200 on the AP 1600 I couldn't think of anything more difficult to setup. But the beauty of this situation is it was at a star party and was going to get a weeks worth of use, so that was a good deal.

If you look at the photo, there's a weak point in that system. The AP 1600 was the perfect mount, yet the scope would wobble around for a couple of seconds when you touched the focuser. The problem mounting the 200 is not the weight, but the really long moment arm of the tube. I think a really solid pier would be beneficial over a tripod, as I think that was a weakness in this setup. If you had it in an obs on a pier I'm sure the AP 1200 would work.

attachicon.gif 1.jpg

Allan,

Brilliant narrative and a terrific image, together they really convey the "presence" of this instrument...you invoke respect. Were I to own such a scope it would NEVER leave the observatory (I admit to lacking both the intestinal fortitude and solvency to attempt road trips with that beast), and it would ride on a 12" concrete and rebar pier massing somewhere in the neighborhood of a ton. I agree that an AP 1200 would do the job, but it makes that 1600 look somewhat modest smile.png And while I double up my 140 and an EdgeHD 11 on my AP 1200 now, I doubt I would do a side-by-side with the 200 OTA. Thank you so much for your feedback, it's great food for thought.

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• Allan Wade likes this

#78 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:28 AM

I arrived at the Winter Star Party this February, and you get this feeling of energy. Then, way off in the distance you see this telescope, sitting high above everything else, imposing itself on the entire star party as if to keep all the other little scopes in their place. Then it draws you in, and you finally come face to face with the TEC 200.

Even now as I look at the photo I've posted, it fools me to. It doesn't look that big. I should have stood in the photo so you could get a sense of scale. When looking over the TEC 180, it feels like a scope you could grab one handed and throw under your arm. The TEC 200 feels like a scope you and your best friend look at for a while and discuss how you are going to move it safely before you dare try mount it. A lot of my thoughts and feelings relate to the value of each scope, as a mishap with the 200 could be likely something you would never recover from, emotionally or financially. 

My 32" dob weighs 420 lbs, and before I had it in the obs it got wheeled out every night. Setting it up was child's play that took a few minutes. As I looked at the TEC 200 on the AP 1600 I couldn't think of anything more difficult to setup. But the beauty of this situation is it was at a star party and was going to get a weeks worth of use, so that was a good deal.

If you look at the photo, there's a weak point in that system. The AP 1600 was the perfect mount, yet the scope would wobble around for a couple of seconds when you touched the focuser. The problem mounting the 200 is not the weight, but the really long moment arm of the tube. I think a really solid pier would be beneficial over a tripod, as I think that was a weakness in this setup. If you had it in an obs on a pier I'm sure the AP 1200 would work.

attachicon.gif 1.jpg

When I picked up my CFF185 f/6.8 I was shown the CFF200 f/8. After seeing this massive scope it was clear, that this is no one man show. Well maybe if you practise, but I didn't feel like fooling around with an $25000 OTA. The moment arm ist just to big. And getting the CFF185 on the AP1100 is doable, but not easy either. Maybe I need to practise more smirk.gif . What is the focal ratio of the TEC200FL?

Anyway. I am eagerly looking forward to this alredy legendary scope :)

regards

Michael

• Allan Wade likes this

#79 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:51 AM

The new Tec 200FL is F8.  The Tec 200ED in the picture that Allan posted is F9 and slightly heavier, longer of course, too.  Yuri was considering at least 3 different focal ratios for the new 200FL and settled on F8 because it made the fewest compromises in quality.  The old 200FL is also F8 and weighs 45 pounds compared to the 50 pounds of the 200ED F9.

One of the reasons I held out for the F8 was because it is shorter and lighter than the F9.  I hope that makes the difference for me in mounting it and it should be more stable on the 1100 mount as well.

• chrisastro8 and fate187 like this

#80 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:01 AM

Many of you have probably heard my story before. 

My 1st scope and only scope for life was going to be a Tec 140 back in 2011 I think.  I planned on buying it used for a better price.  A Tec 160FL happened to come up for sale 1st and I decided to go for that after a CN friend told me he sold his Tak FS152 for a Tec 140 but missed the extra aperture and sold the 140 and purchased another FS152.  So I blamed him for my aperture fever. 

I thought the 160FL would be my scope for life but another CN friend kept describing how it was no big deal to mount the 180.  I hesitated thinking it would be difficult for me.  I passed on several used ones, and felt depressed each time as someone else bought the scope.  So I made the decision to get the next one.  I am so happy I did.  It could be my scope for life and I would be very happy with it. 

But I couldn't stop thinking what it would be like to have a 200.  There is no way I could manage that.  But it is only a few more pounds.  I have to try.  And I will find out soon.  I have a ladder and handle and have been exercising because I want to make this work.  I will also get a Telegizmos 365 cover and so I could leave it set up for a period of time too if I have to.  I'll do whatever it takes to use the scope.  It won't be sitting idle though the 180 might be.

• Scott in NC, RAKing and StarDust1 like this

#81 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:45 AM

The new Tec 200FL is F8.  The Tec 200ED in the picture that Allan posted is F9 and slightly heavier, longer of course, too.  Yuri was considering at least 3 different focal ratios for the new 200FL and settled on F8 because it made the fewest compromises in quality.  The old 200FL is also F8 and weighs 45 pounds compared to the 50 pounds of the 200ED F9.

One of the reasons I held out for the F8 was because it is shorter and lighter than the F9.  I hope that makes the difference for me in mounting it and it should be more stable on the 1100 mount as well.

I was going to come back and make the same comment. At f/8 I think you will be far better off. Plus with all your years of practice with the 180, you're probably in the best position of anyone to handle the 200 solo. A bit less stress through the mount as well which will be helpful for stability at the eyepiece.

#82 NikhilJoshi

NikhilJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle WA, USA

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:57 AM

My friend Bill has a beautiful TEC 160, and we had many TEC & Tak sessions. If I ever get a big TEC one day I will blame it on Bill and all his wonderful views.

attachicon.gif 2.jpg

Ohhhhh noooo. Photographic evidence that my Mach1 can toss around 160FL...

• AZStarGuy and Allan Wade like this

#83 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:38 AM

I am looking at all of these amazing photos and wondering about getting a TEC. What do the different tube assemblies weigh?

• Scott in NC likes this

#84 PRejto

PRejto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:13 AM

Might as well join the fun.

My twin TECs set up for simultaneous imaging. The Antenna Galaxies photo was taken from a light polluted suburb of Sydney....24 hours of subs captured in 12. (Lots of data is the only way to deal with massive light pollution).

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• .Aug.212016-small.jpg
  • NGC 4038,4039 Antenna-crop.jpg

• Paul G, Catapoman, Scott in NC and 14 others like this

#85 Max Lattanzi

Max Lattanzi

Viking 1

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:00 AM

(...) and you finally come face to face with the TEC 200.

Even now as I look at the photo I've posted, it fools me to. It doesn't look that big. I should have stood in the photo so you could get a sense of scale.

(...)

If you had it in an obs on a pier I'm sure the AP 1200 would work.

Here you go, man. 

Although not in an obs, but en plain air in full working state.

Despite the 45 deg angle, you may still get grasp of the size.

The girl is about 1mt70.

Cheers,

-- Max

PS/ It was probably something loose in the tripod, otherwise the AP1600 would be totally adequate. The AP1200 on the pier is quite OK.

Attached Thumbnails

• MAX_2091.TEC200ED+AP1200GTO.2000.mail.CN9%.jpg

• DeanS, 3 i Guy, RAKing and 7 others like this

#86 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:25 AM

Best image so far for demonstrating scale...what a monster OTA!

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#87 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

I am looking at all of these amazing photos and wondering about getting a TEC. What do the different tube assemblies weigh?

Take a look at the TEC website here: https://www.telescopengineering.com/. They've got a very helpful listing of all of their current scopes with dimensions and weights.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#88 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

Best image so far for demonstrating scale...what a monster OTA!

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Wow--very nice, but clearly not for me.  That's a scope that I don't want to personally own, but wish I had a friendly neighbor who owned one.  I'd happily help him with it whenever called upon to do so! :grin:

#89 Element79

Element79

Viking 1

• Loc: Mason. Ohio

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

Someday, when I can afford to retire and move out from the light polluted city to the countryside, I want to build a house with an observatory, and that TEC200 is exactly what I would like to see in it!  Until then, dream on...

• RAKing likes this

#90 vpraghavan

vpraghavan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

After seeing this thread, I had to post a shot of my TEC140 here too. It is shown with a Focus Boss II mounted on the side. The combination of the TEC140 and Carl Zeiss Binoviewer w/Hyp Mark IV 8-24mm zooms provide exquisite views.

Originally, I posted a different photo under the ‘… picture of your refractors’ section (which clearly shows that it is a TEC140 …. just in case that was not clear in this photo – wink, wink).
V.P

Attached Thumbnails

• 4b 1500.jpg

• Scott in NC, 3 i Guy, BKBrown and 2 others like this

#91 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

These images are from previous threads here on CN, so I imagine they are ok to repost even though they are not mine...

Attached Thumbnails

• 200.jpg
  • 2002.jpg
  • 2003.png

• DeanS, Jeff B, BKBrown and 2 others like this

#92 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

After seeing this thread, I had to post a shot of my TEC140 here too. It is shown with a Focus Boss II mounted on the side. The combination of the TEC140 and Carl Zeiss Binoviewer w/Hyp Mark IV 8-24mm zooms provide exquisite views.

Originally, I posted a different photo under the ‘… picture of your refractors’ section (which clearly shows that it is a TEC140 …. just in case that was not clear in this photo – wink, wink).
V.P

Very cool kit waytogo.gif I know pretty much nothing about the Focus Boss II, but I like the look of your set up... can you de-clutch that little focuser motor and focus manually? 

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#93 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

Here is a photo of the older TEC140 I used to own (2-digit serial number) on my old AP800 mount. Still the best scope I have owned.

TEC140.jpg

• Scott in NC, 3 i Guy, Jeff B and 2 others like this

#94 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

Some more images of my TEC 200ED installation.

I took these for a CN'er who wanted to figure out a pier height and building size.

The Telegizmos 365 cover is now on its 5th year.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• Park 1 Position.jpg
  • Park 2 Position.jpg
  • Park 3 Position.jpg
  • At Zenith.jpg
  • High eyepiece height.jpg
  • Platform B.jpg

• Scott in NC, 3 i Guy, plyscope and 7 others like this

#95 btrim

btrim

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: N.Atlanta

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

My friend Bill has a beautiful TEC 160, and we had many TEC & Tak sessions. If I ever get a big TEC one day I will blame it on Bill and all his wonderful views.

attachicon.gif 2.jpg

Allan,

i have many great memories of my time & the skies down there with you. Hard to believe that was now 3+ years ago now.

Too bad we don't have a pic of the nearby bull in that shot. He made that night interesting.

I need to get back to see your Black Widow.

All the best.

Bill

• Allan Wade likes this

#96 vpraghavan

vpraghavan

Explorer 1

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:30 PM

Hi Brian (reply to Focuser question),

Yes. I can de-clutch the Focus Boss II from my TEC140. You rotate the motor housing (about 10deg) which takes the automatic focusing unit off-line. You can now rotate the focus knob manually (the left side in photo). In fact, when I power up, I use the manual knob rotation to get to focus first (black knob on the left). I then rotate the motor into place (right side), so the focusing can now be controlled electronically (or via the computer for photography). The wire from the motor (right side) goes to the electronic control box seen towards the bottom right in the photo. The computer connection is also made here. The motor and electronic unit always stay on the scope regardless of manual or automatic focus operation.

V.P

Attached Thumbnails

• 5 crop 1600.jpg

• RAKing, BKBrown and Bomber Bob like this

#97 vpraghavan

vpraghavan

Explorer 1

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:36 PM

This is a photo of the top of my TEC140. It shows the Focuser electronic module (right) and the battery (left). Both are mounted on the top plate at the CG point. As a result, there are no tangling wires to deal with. The Hand Controller for the focuser slides off and can be held in the hand if so desired.

V.P

Attached Thumbnails

• 3c crop 1300.jpg

• RAKing, BKBrown and Bomber Bob like this

#98 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

Some more images of my TEC 200ED installation.

I took these for a CN'er who wanted to figure out a pier height and building size.

The Telegizmos 365 cover is now on its 5th year.

Jeff

There is just no way i could leave that out in my weather in the summer living right on the gulf.

#99 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

No.494 and I just celebrated our 9th anniversary together. It’s the perfect combination of size, aperture, and APO goodness. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 518FED9E-EDBF-40E5-A51B-D9519A2E9E91.jpeg

• Catapoman, Scott in NC, DeanS and 11 others like this

#100 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

There is just no way i could leave that out in my weather in the summer living right on the gulf.

Yeah, I hear you Chas.  Even with the cover, the combination of heat and salty, humid air can be rough on equipment.  

The biggest issue for you may well be corrosion of the mounting which may require additional protection.  The OTA may not be an issue.  For my big newt, I close off and seal the front and back ends with additional Telegizmos standard covers and bungie cords before sliding the 360 cover over that.  It's been about a year now and I've had zero corrosion or humidity issues, including mold, inside or outside with the OTA....or with bugs (!)

Jeff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics