•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Lunar craters Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

Last month, I challenged you to find all six of the Apollo landing sites. This month, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's and Edwin Aldrin's historic landing and moon walk, we return to Mare Tranquilitatis, the scene of Apollo 11, to find three small craters that bear the names of that historic mission's crew members.

Click here to view the article
  • Dave Mitsky and jeremiah2229 like this

#2 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

Fun challenge! Thank you Phil! This can be done in fair seeing with a 6" telescope. Using a 6" f/15 Cassegrain I could hold Armstrong steady at 180X before sundown with the moon at 8 days, 13 hours old. Once the sun had set and the sky darkened, Collins could be seen as the seeing allowed, but Aldrin was only hinted at. This was in turbulent air downwind of a mountain range. For those with a steady sky, I'm sure even Aldrin would be achievable this late in the lunar month with a 6".

• JimP and PhilH like this

#3 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

Have seen, drawn and imaged the Apollo 11 landing site including Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins many times, first with an AP 6” F/12 Super Planetary apo April 12, 1989.  These three craters are not the real challenge. The real challenge is seeing the triangle of craters including “Cat’s Paw” that direct you to the landing site itself. Born in 1950 I too am a Space Age guy and I followed every Mercury, Gemini and Apollo mission with Great interest and enthusiasm.

Jim Phillips

• PhilH and Tyson M like this

#4 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for your kind words!  Don't forget to set your alarm for tomorrow or Monday morning.  That's when all three craters will be at their best.  By Tuesday, the Sun will have set from their locations.

• Dave Mitsky and Special Ed like this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted Today, 02:26 AM

Before I went to bed on Sunday morning I took a look at the waning gibbous Moon with the 6" f/8 Orion SkyQuest XT6 Dob that I keep in my garage for casual observing. It had been somewhat clear much earlier in the night and I had observed Jupiter and Saturn but then the sky grew overcast. However, the Moon was now in the midst of a sucker hole but clouds were heading that way. I had wanted to see if I could see the craters named after the Apollo 11 astronauts but 150x that my 8-24mm Hyperion Mark III zoom eyepiece produced at full zoom wasn't enough.

I went inside to get my 4.5mm Tele Vue Delos (267x) but by then thin clouds were beginning to cover the Moon. On top of that, the 0.6mm exit pupil produced by the Delos did a wonderful job of displaying the floaters present in both of my eyes. It was pointless to go even higher in power so I put the telescope back in the garage.

I only managed to get one afocal iPhone photo of the Moon and it turned out to be slightly out of focus.

Dave Mitsky

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon July 21 IMG_9169 Processed CN.jpg

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted Today, 08:58 AM

Tough break on the weather, Dave, but I can recognize the big craters around the Apollo 11 landing site in your pic.

Conditions were near perfect here Sunday morning allowing me to make this sketch of Tranquility Base 50 years and a few hours after the historic landing.

Thanks for the challenge, Phil.  smile.gif   I had seen Armstrong and Aldrin in the past but had not detected Collins until a couple of days ago.  A good way to commemorate this anniversary.  

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted Today, 12:13 PM

Tough break on the weather, Dave, but I can recognize the big craters around the Apollo 11 landing site in your pic.

Edit

I'm pretty sure that I see Moltke and can definitely make out Sabine and Ritter.  It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to take a better photograph.

https://www.flickr.c...02/17044835299/

https://www.skyandte...-landing-sites/

It was either raining or completely overcast last night.

Dave Mitsky

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics