•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FC100 - DF, DL, or DC?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeastern Illinois, in the Fox Valley

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

I recently was considering a 5” refractor as the next step for me, but as I consider several factors, a Tak is becoming more & more attractive. Due to improving personal finances, I can expect to own an FC-100 within the next 12 months. Which one should I purchase? My first inclination is toward the most corrected, however, I assume they are all equally well-corrected for color. If it helps, my interest is visual for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, as always.

• teashea likes this

#2 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:52 PM

I absolutely love my FC100DL. I live in a light polluted area (so lunar, planetary and double stars are the primary targets) and I don't plan to travel with it. So the choice was easy. If you plan to travel or want to view more wide field objects, the choice may not be as easy.

According to what I've read, the shorter f7.4 FC100DC and DF have very slight color which is not present at all in the f9 DL.

Here is a thorough review comparing them. http://www.scopeview...k/TakFC100s.htm

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 05 July 2019 - 09:54 PM.

• SteveG, michael h, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

#3 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

Steve -

Thanks very much! The link is excellent. I’ll probably choose the DL.

• balu01 and Ihtegla Sar like this

#4 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:20 PM

Did they decide to put out a third run of the FC-100DL or stop at the two already completed runs? There are still a few new ones left at a couple of dealers.

I really wish they would come out with a FC-125DL instead, sigh!

• Littlegreenman and Lookitup like this

#5 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:39 AM

I have both the DL and DF models, and both have their own merits.
The DL shows a tad wider palette, but the DF is much smaller and easier to mount (almost like a 8cm refractor).
If observe with them side by side the difference about hues and tones can be seen, but otherwise I'd guess that you would not have any doubt about the goodness of DF' s color correction.
As for DF vs DC, the former is a tad shorter and it is ready for 2" stuff.
  • rerun and teashea like this

#6 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Did they decide to put out a third run of the FC-100DL or stop at the two already completed runs? There are still a few new ones left at a couple of dealers.

I really wish they would come out with a FC-125DL instead, sigh!

Will there still be new DLs for sale in 12 months? Its the one model to consider buying sooner perhaps.

900mm FC125DL... would be faster than the F9 100DL. Too fast at F7.2? Bump the 125 FL to 1000mm to make F8, happy medium? 

Edited by 25585, 06 July 2019 - 02:02 PM.

• teashea likes this

#7 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

I have, and have exhaustively used and tested the DF and it doesn't leave me wanting a DL. Color correction is top notch as is spherical correction. I originally wanted a DL but got the DF because I can go from high powers to low power, wide field with a mere switch of an eyepiece. This makes the DF more versatile for my needs.

• RAKing, CounterWeight, Rick Duering and 4 others like this

#8 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:09 PM

I have, and have exhaustively used and tested the DF and it doesn't leave me wanting a DL. Color correction is top notch as is spherical correction. I originally wanted a DL but got the DF because I can go from high powers to low power, wide field with a mere switch of an eyepiece. This makes the DF more versatile for my needs.

Have you ever looked through a DL side by side with your DF?
  • teashea likes this

#9 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

Steve -

Thanks very much! The link is excellent. I’ll probably choose the DL.

You are welcome! One thing about Taks is they hold their value well and you could hardly go wrong with either a DF or a DL. I wanted a scope for lunar and planetary work in a light polluted area but one other factor that pushed me over the edge to the DL is that it's a limited run and no one knows whether they are going to do a third run. So you may or may not be able to get one next year but the DF will probably be available for a while. If they don't do a third DL run, then I expect I could get every penny and then some out of my DL if I ever decided to sell it, although I doubt I would. A DF or a DC would have a pretty good resale value as well, but a scope that is still in production is likely to sell at more of a discount than one that is out of production, at least for a popular model like the DL. It kind of seems like has a bit of a "cult" following.
  • m9x18, Tyson M, 25585 and 1 other like this

#10 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

Steve -

I am concerned about availability when I am ready to buy. I’ll have to take my chances for a DL.

#11 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

Have you ever looked through a DL side by side with your DF?

Yes I have and the image quality in both scopes was excellent!
  • teashea likes this

#12 balu01

balu01

Messenger

• Loc: Las Vegas NV

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:49 PM

+1 DL being an F9 the scope is able to keep up surprisingly well with 5” class scopes , where the 5 “ will only step away on one of those rarity seeing conditions. If you want wide field the DF/DC versions still won’t sacrifice for proper wide field.
Breaks up trapezium E/F stars into sharp needle points. If you play in AP as well the DL will show you yet an other surprise, it is beyond capable with reducers even on full frame sensor.
  • Phil Cowell, agmoonsolns and teashea like this

#13 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:10 AM

If you were considering a 5" apo, you're best bet is to go with the DL or DF.

If grab and go was your primary considerations, then it would be the DC or the DF. 

I cant shake the idea of getting a DC on a light mount like a Skywatcher GTI and only 1.25" eyepieces like my Brandons.

I have a 5" apo which is grab and go so the need for that is superfluous atm.

• teashea likes this

#14 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

You are welcome! One thing about Taks is they hold their value well and you could hardly go wrong with either a DF or a DL. I wanted a scope for lunar and planetary work in a light polluted area but one other factor that pushed me over the edge to the DL is that it's a limited run and no one knows whether they are going to do a third run. So you may or may not be able to get one next year but the DF will probably be available for a while. If they don't do a third DL run, then I expect I could get every penny and then some out of my DL if I ever decided to sell it, although I doubt I would. A DF or a DC would have a pretty good resale value as well, but a scope that is still in production is likely to sell at more of a discount than one that is out of production, at least for a popular model like the DL. It kind of seems like has a bit of a "cult" following.

That was my reason for getting a DL sooner. Originally a DF was it, then the DL 2nd run came out.

• teashea likes this

#15 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

Yes I have and the image quality in both scopes was excellent!

You are fortunate to have had that opportunity. Someday I'd like to look through a DF.
  • teashea likes this

#16 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

I own  a FC 100 DF it is a great 4 " scope  ,it shows me much more than my older 100mm ED Triplett refractor . The DF version ist easy to mount on my Vixen GPD on Berlebach UNI tripod. The DF is ready for 2" equipment and with a Panoptic 27mm  I had amazing views of the milky way . It is light weight and quick cool down, that is the reason I had so many good observation since I own it. But every version DL,DF or DC will be a good choice.

clear skies

Markus

• Daniel Mounsey, CounterWeight, barbie and 2 others like this

#17 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

I was looking around the ether and noticed that there is a new piece on Youtube from Doctor "D" talking about Takahashi scopes and the EM11 Temma powered mounts. I have not finished it yet but wow, makes me want to jump off the deep end of the pool. The Doctor is deep and heavy. 

New Takahashi on YouTube 

Thoughts?

Chip

Edited by YAOG, 07 July 2019 - 12:53 PM.

• rerun and teashea like this

#18 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

I am very happy with my DC model.  As delivered, they are more suitable for 1.25" eyepieces - but at 740mm focal length, a TV 24mm Panoptic gives me a 2.2 degree FOV at 31x and that is plenty wide for my needs.  I am using a Baader T2 diagonal with my little Tak and could even put a 2-inch eyepiece holder on it to try for a wider view, but I haven't bothered.

I am mostly a double star/variable star observer and I have not seen any false color with my beautiful little fluorite gem.  Yes, it looks a bit undermounted on the Mach 1, but I am working to correct that problem. roflmao.gif

Cheers,

Ron

Takahashi FC-100DC 020919.JPG

• plyscope, payner, rerun and 6 others like this

#19 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:17 PM

Here is  a picture of my FC100DF and my FOA60 mounted on a AYO Ii mount 

Clear skies Markus 

• Phil Cowell, mikeDnight, RubyCruxis and 1 other like this

#20 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

This to me is probably the best 100mm refractor currently for sale on the market today, aside from cost. The very compact 95mm tube diameter and short focal length is now competitive with the excellent AstroTech 102ED and the Stellarvue Access 102.

The Camera angle adjuster is excellent on a German equatorial mount also. 

I've never been a fan of the Takashasi stock focusers but with their microfocuser option, they become excellent focusers. I do not care for the bolt on Feathertouch focuser wheels and undercarrage. they are just too spongy during microfocusing and lack feel.

A complete feather touch replacement doesn't seem necessary because the Takahashi microfocuser works so well. 

I also agree that 1.25" quality eyepieces adds tremendously to the compact nature of this scope. A sliding dew shield is definitely not necessary on these small refractors also.

Optically, these small Takahashi Flourites have excellent color correction regardless of the focal ratio. 

Where did you get the white tube rings from. They compliment the scope well. I'll selling off on most of my small refractors and will probably end up with the same compact DF model soon.

Congratulations on an excellent little refractor.

...Ralph

I am very happy with my DC model.  As delivered, they are more suitable for 1.25" eyepieces - but at 740mm focal length, a TV 24mm Panoptic gives me a 2.2 degree FOV at 31x and that is plenty wide for my needs.  I am using a Baader T2 diagonal with my little Tak and could even put a 2-inch eyepiece holder on it to try for a wider view, but I haven't bothered.

I am mostly a double star/variable star observer and I have not seen any false color with my beautiful little fluorite gem.  Yes, it looks a bit undermounted on the Mach 1, but I am working to correct that problem. roflmao.gif

Cheers,

Ron

attachicon.gif Takahashi FC-100DC 020919.JPG

• teashea likes this

#21 Lookitup

Lookitup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

The DF will be stable on a lesser (lighter) mount. For manual tracking, wider FOV is preferred too. The DL was very tempting though. CS

Attached Thumbnails

• Tak_XF.jpg

• CounterWeight, rerun, mikeDnight and 1 other like this

#22 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:27 PM

I like the white tube rigs also. Where did you find them?

• teashea likes this

#23 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:52 PM

I like the white tube rigs also. Where did you find them?

Krylon? 

• mrsjeff likes this

#24 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:55 PM

Cheers,

Ron

attachicon.gif Takahashi FC-100DC 020919.JPG

A Mach1 is under mounted for a 100mm doublet? What is the gravity on your planet like? 

Chip

• balu01 and teashea like this

#25 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

This to me is probably the best 100mm refractor currently for sale on the market today, aside from cost. The very compact 95mm tube diameter and short focal length is now competitive with the excellent AstroTech 102ED and the Stellarvue Access 102.

The Camera angle adjuster is excellent on a German equatorial mount also. 

I've never been a fan of the Takashasi stock focusers but with their microfocuser option, they become excellent focusers. I do not care for the bolt on Feathertouch focuser wheels and undercarrage. they are just too spongy during microfocusing and lack feel.

A complete feather touch replacement doesn't seem necessary because the Takahashi microfocuser works so well. 

I also agree that 1.25" quality eyepieces adds tremendously to the compact nature of this scope. A sliding dew shield is definitely not necessary on these small refractors also.

Optically, these small Takahashi Flourites have excellent color correction regardless of the focal ratio. 

Where did you get the white tube rings from. They compliment the scope well. I'll selling off on most of my small refractors and will probably end up with the same compact DF model soon.

Congratulations on an excellent little refractor.

...Ralph

Your comment begs the question and partially answers at the same time, best 100mm for what? We know it is not raw cost, maybe best bang for the buck when you consider ROI on a 10 year schedule. 

Not for imaging, there are better corrected trips for less or similar money with focusers better suited for imaging. 

If you meant to say best 100mm class visual apo I might agree but the DL likely has a slight edge over the DF/DC visually based on the additional focal length. Of course longer focal length cuts both ways clipping FOV slightly. 

So what did you mean?

Chip 

• CounterWeight and teashea like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics