•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FC100 - DF, DL, or DC?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#26 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:15 PM

Where did you get the white tube rings from. They compliment the scope well. I'll selling off on most of my small refractors and will probably end up with the same compact DF model soon.

The white tube rings are from SoCal Astro, IIRC.  I got them on another scope in a deal a long time ago and was happy they fit the little Tak so well.  I believe they are still available.

Sorry guys - I meant that "under mounted" comment as a joke!  lol.gif 

Cheers,

Ron

• YAOG, mrsjeff and teashea like this

#27 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

I went for the DL because I already owned a Vixen ED102SS which is F/6.5. The FC100-DL has proved superb. In almost all respects it matches my (very good) Skywatcher ED120 and betters it in terms of CA control and perfection of star test.

I have not yet used an FC100-DF or DC as yet but from all the reports I've read these are wonderful performers as well.

Edited by John Huntley, 07 July 2019 - 05:55 PM.

• barbie, 25585 and teashea like this

#28 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

I just heard this afternoon there are still some new FC-100DL tube assemblies at dealers scattered across the country so you can still buy these new. This is why a third run hasn't been decided on or announced, dealers haven't finished selling off the second run. 

The official word from Takahashi in Japan is that it's unlikely there will be a third run anytime soon. They might produce a third run eventually, but not right now. 

BTW, if you have a DL from the first run, you might want to hold onto it, these are much more special than you might think. The first run were like the much older FC-100N f/10 version, they only planned on making the one run at the time and wanted them to be something special. These were tested and finished by their best opticians and they wanted them to be as good as they could possibly make them. This isn't to bash those from the second run, it just means the second run was produced to the same extremely high standards as all of their beautiful refractors. I very much doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two runs just looking through them unless they had good seeing and performed careful star tests. 

At any rate, if you were wanting a DL, now's your chance. If you have one from the first run, you lucky dog! :-)

• teashea likes this

#29 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

P.S. If you have a DL from the first run, could you please post a photo?

#30 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:30 PM

I just heard this afternoon there are still some new FC-100DL tube assemblies at dealers scattered across the country so you can still buy these new. This is why a third run hasn't been decided on or announced, dealers haven't finished selling off the second run. 

The official word from Takahashi in Japan is that it's unlikely there will be a third run anytime soon. They might produce a third run eventually, but not right now. 

BTW, if you have a DL from the first run, you might want to hold onto it, these are much more special than you might think. The first run were like the much older FC-100N f/10 version, they only planned on making the one run at the time and wanted them to be something special. These were tested and finished by their best opticians and they wanted them to be as good as they could possibly make them. This isn't to bash those from the second run, it just means the second run was produced to the same extremely high standards as all of their beautiful refractors. I very much doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two runs just looking through them unless they had good seeing and performed careful star tests. 

At any rate, if you were wanting a DL, now's your chance. If you have one from the first run, you lucky dog! :-)

I’ve evaluated a lot of samples of each version. The standards of both focal ratios have proven to show equal care given to their optical figures. 

• CounterWeight, michael h, barbie and 4 others like this

#31 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

I owned a DF version for a while and it was great scope, absolutely nothing to not like with an eyepiece or two, some time,  and a clear sky, as many have posted there are small tradeoffs in the versions and are any of them (tradeoffs) important to you? 

• teashea likes this

#32 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

As I stated in my previous post, I very much doubt anyone would be able to see a difference between them. Although if anyone could, I am sure it would be you. 

I really hate it when I go to all of the trouble of calling up dealers to find something out and then share it here just to get bashed. I won't name names, but I am finding out the hard way there are some really less than positive Takahashi dealers who will say anything to make a sale or convince you of some point.

I’ve evaluated a lot of samples of each version. The standards of both focal ratios have proven to show equal care given to their optical figures. 

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#33 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:53 PM

Daniel Mounsey is a man of integrity, besides possessing a wealth of knowledge about telescopes and observing.

• Daniel Mounsey, CounterWeight and michael h like this

#34 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

I am sure Takahashi takes equal care in making sure all of their optics meet a very high standard. That being said, as someone who owns a large number of Takahashi telescopes, some do have much better optical figures than others. If you're in Washington, we can meet and I can prove this.

• Auburn80 likes this

#35 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:16 PM

Steve, I never said otherwise. In fact, I went out of my way to say if anyone could tell the difference between them, it was him.

Daniel Mounsey is a man of integrity, besides possessing a wealth of knowledge about telescopes and observing.

• Daniel Mounsey and Steve Allison like this

#36 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:18 PM

As I stated in my previous post, I very much doubt anyone would be able to see a difference between them. Although if anyone could, I am sure it would be you. 

I really hate it when I go to all of the trouble of calling up dealers to find something out and then share it here just to get bashed. I won't name names, but I am finding out the hard way there are some really less than positive Takahashi dealers who will say anything to make a sale or convince you of some point.

Water under the bridge. I don’t think it was your intent to spread misinformation and I think you meant well. I have no hard feelings whatsoever. I think you were just going from what you heard, no worries! waytogo.gif

• agmoonsolns likes this

#37 MGD

MGD

Ranger 4

• Loc: Interlaken NY

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:22 PM

Kenzie pay attention. There is a person that posts from Sapporo Japan n2068dd and he always seems to have great insider Tak information. Do you remember the video going around that showed production at Takahashi? Well he identified who and what the people in the video were doing. Do you remember any of that I think it was within the past year. I'm sorry if I came across as a crazy jerk.

Mike

• teashea likes this

#38 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Another really great example as to why you're my favorite Takahashi dealer. :-)

Water under the bridge. I don’t think it was your intent to spread misinformation and I think you meant well. I have no hard feelings whatsoever. I think you were just going from what you heard, no worries! waytogo.gif

• Daniel Mounsey and michael h like this

#39 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

I appreciate the kind words from all of you guys. Thank you!

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 07 July 2019 - 10:33 PM.

• michael h and teashea like this

#40 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:37 PM

Mike, I am sorry, but I haven't seen anything like that. Could you please post links? I would love to see them and learn more. Thanks!

Kenzie pay attention. There is a person that posts from Sapporo Japan n2068dd and he always seems to have great insider Tak information. Do you remember the video going around that showed production at Takahashi? Well he identified who and what the people in the video were doing. Do you remember any of that I think it was within the past year. I'm sorry if I came across as a crazy jerk.

Mike

#41 MGD

MGD

Ranger 4

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:49 PM

I had the video saved but I can't find it at the moment. I'm pretty Daniel has a copy of it. If I can remember which thread Hiromi posted about it I'll try to link it. 

Mike

#42 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

I went for the DL because I already owned a Vixen ED102SS which is F/6.5. The FC100-DL has proved superb. In almost all respects it matches my (very good) Skywatcher ED120 and betters it in terms of CA control and perfection of star test.

I have not yet used an FC100-DF or DC as yet but from all the reports I've read these are wonderful performers as well.

I HAVE compared the DF to the DL and both showed equally excellent image quality, especially on the moon and planets.  The only real difference between the two was the DL's longer tube length and the fact that with the DL, one can use longer focal length eyepieces to achieve higher magnifications, that's all!!  I chose the DF for the slightly shorter tube and wider field when I observe DSO's.  My comparisons were quite extensive and as I said, both are equally impressive instruments!  I hope this will help settle any debate on the merits of one vs. the other.

• John Huntley and teashea like this

#43 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:51 PM

I had the video saved but I can't find it at the moment. I'm pretty Daniel has a copy of it. If I can remember which thread Hiromi posted about it I'll try to link it. 

Mike

Mike,

I think this is the video.

https://www.dropbox....Merge.mpg?dl=0 

• waso29, MGD and teashea like this

#44 MGD

MGD

Ranger 4

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:27 AM

That's probably the one if it's from Tammi. I can't open it right now because my phone is being stubborn. Thanks for finding it I thought it pretty interesting when I watched it before.

Mike

#45 balu01

balu01

Messenger

• Loc: Las Vegas NV

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:12 AM

P.S. If you have a DL from the first run, could you please post a photo?

Mine is from the first run. 

I think for you these pictures might be a double home run agmoonsolns smile.gif

CE61DE20-FDE4-405C-BA12-D2798E0EA95E.jpeg

44C0187A-0CF3-4022-A069-46E747A6C59C.jpeg

Edited by balu01, 08 July 2019 - 02:18 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Rick Duering, eros312 and 9 others like this

#46 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:39 AM

Don't like the clamshell clamps, not just because they look ugly to me, but because they only use 1 bolt. So an attractive expensive OTA is IMO inadequately secured in an unattractive fixing - put heavy accessories on the OTA, the single bolt and single tube holder has more load to bear. 

The photos above with 2 tube rings, I consider minimum safety. My own 2 Taks, I use 3 rings on a Losmandy D bar, which is also easier to slide in its clamp than loosening rings bolts and moving the OTA on its own.

The GEM in DD's vlog is cool. And I am a book & atlas fan, Burnhams still rocks!

• MGD likes this

#47 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:23 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the Tak clamshell. I use it mostly for visual. I have used the new Tak clamshell GT-40 for AP aswell, works great.

I watched the whole 45 min plus video of Daniel Mounsey on Youtube about the Tak FC-100 and EM-11. And he mentioned that as the Tak clamshell, as it has one bolt, it's much easier to adjust the ota position when observing instead of adjusting two bolts. I think that's a great point.

• John Huntley, waso29, Ihtegla Sar and 1 other like this

#48 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeastern Illinois, in the Fox Valley

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

Daniel -

That video on Takahashi production was excellent. Thanks very much.

The level of craftsmanship & care depicted in that video confirms some of the reasons why I want a Tak. That was practically a promotional video.

• Daniel Mounsey and teashea like this

#49 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:07 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the Tak clamshell. I use it mostly for visual. I have used the new Tak clamshell GT-40 for AP aswell, works great.

I watched the whole 45 min plus video of Daniel Mounsey on Youtube about the Tak FC-100 and EM-11. And he mentioned that as the Tak clamshell, as it has one bolt, it's much easier to adjust the ota position when observing instead of adjusting two bolts. I think that's a great point.

Agreed. I too love the clamshell. It's so easy to adjust the scope and take it on and off the mount for transport. The FC100DL only weighs eight pounds and I haven't used more than two to three pounds of eyepieces/diagonals, so say 10-11 pounds total. At those weights the clamshell holds the scope very securely. Yet adjusting it is a snap with the single thumbscrew.
  • StarDust1 and teashea like this

#50 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

I like very much the clamshell too, also because makes super easy to add a guidescope (or another telescope) atop it.

The smaller one provided with the DF has a 3/8" screw, while the longer one designed for the DL has threaded metric holes, so when imaging I use the DF's with a Baader Stronghold guidescope mount, and such setup has proven to be really stiff and reliable.

Indeed, this is the setup I use also when pairing the refractors for stargazing, even if, for comfrot's sake, I place the longer DL in the DF's clamshell so it lies under its shorter sibling.

• waso29, StarDust1 and teashea like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics