•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FC100 - DF, DL, or DC?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#76 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

I was just using my 4" Takahashi refractor last night and even though the air was less than terrific (slowly waving in and out from really great to not great), I was picking out the most amazing amount of detail on the moon and planets.

I don't believe one particular brand or type of telescope is magically better than the others, but darn it all if Takahashi refractors don't keep delivering details and performance one just don't get with a lot of other scopes. 

At one point I was up to 264x and Saturn's rings were so sharp and well defined, it was just such a thrill to see so much detail. I was also super impressed with the 1.6x Extender Q. I must admit I had my doubts about adding more glass to the system, but in practice, I can't see any image degradation at all (and I was really looking for it). I am sure there's a small amount, but not enough to worry about.

I honestly don't think it really matters which version of the FC-100 you get in terms of performance, they are all going to amazing. Pick the one with the focal length and tube assembly design that best suits your personal preferences. Every version fits into its own niche and serves a specific purpose. If you're an astrophotography addict, the FSQ might be your best choice. If all you care about are the moon/planets, then the DL might be it. If you want the best version that can do everything exceptionally well, then I think the new DZ is going to be the top of the list. If I didn't already have one, my order for the DZ would already be in, that's going to be one heck of a great scope. I just hope they will make a 5"+ version. A FC-130DZ at f/8 or even f/9 would be out of this world. Who knows what great plans Takahashi has for new scopes? 

• payner, rerun, StarDust1 and 3 others like this

#77 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:40 PM

Does anyone other than me move the dovetail in the saddle instead of moving the scope in the rings/clamshell in order to balance the scope? I literally never move the scope in the rings, I use the dovetail for that... and most times I don't even need to move it, as my setups are back heavy, so I use moderate tension and the scope doesn't move when I swap eyepieces, yet I can move the scope as necessary without much force. I see no reason why you should move the scope inside the rings/clamshell.

I don't move the dovetail at all for a few reasons, mostly having to do with my equipment. First, my dovetail is only four inches long so there is not much room to move it. I would need to get a longer dovetail.

Also, the dovetail on my mount has two screws, a main screw and a locking screw, so its more work to move a dovetail.

Also, the dovetail screws are on the bottom, where its harder to reach them and make sure they are tight, whereas the clamp screw is on top, easier to reach and check to make sure its tight. And it is a higher quality screw that is easier to manipulate.

Its also easier to slide the tube in and out of the clam shell than it is to slide the dovetail in and out. This makes a difference in the dark or when I am tired and may have trouble seating the dovetail and making sure its tight. But its easy for me to seat the tube into the clam shell even in the dark when I am tired.

So for me, with my mount, I feel much more secure leaving the dovetail permanently clamped down with both the main screw and the locking screw and doing any needed balancing and scope removal for transport to and from the deck with the clam shell.

I am honestly much more worried about the dovetail coming loose and causing a problem than the clam shell.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 09 July 2019 - 08:48 PM.

• rerun, StarDust1, barbie and 1 other like this

#78 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

Does anyone other than me move the dovetail in the saddle instead of moving the scope in the rings/clamshell in order to balance the scope? I literally never move the scope in the rings, I use the dovetail for that... and most times I don't even need to move it, as my setups are back heavy, so I use moderate tension and the scope doesn't move when I swap eyepieces, yet I can move the scope as necessary without much force. I see no reason why you should move the scope inside the rings/clamshell.

jay.i

I think most folks with Takahashi mounts using standard Takahashi mount configuration just slide the OTA in the clamshell. For those with other brand mounts with conventional saddle clamps sliding the dovetail is SOP. 

Chip

• 25585 likes this

#79 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:17 PM

It is what I do, slide the dovetail. Much easier and smoother.  

#80 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

It is what I do, slide the dovetail. Much easier and smoother.  

I think that is what jay.i does as well. He has just said it a slightly different way. I level the scope, loosen the DT clamp a touch, move the scope forward or backwards a little by sliding the DT bar, then tighten the DY clamp again.

I don't do this much though - my mounts have enough tension in their movements to handle modest changes in weight at the focuser end.

Just got an oldie but goldie Vixen GP mount head today to use with my 100-120 fracs. Light but so well made. The Chinese EQ5 might look the same but the difference in manufacturing quality is really obvious when you compare them in any detail. Good Japanese workmanship smile.gif 

Edited by John Huntley, 10 July 2019 - 03:06 PM.

• payner, russell23, jay.i and 1 other like this

#81 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

I think that is what jay.i does as well. He has just said it a slightly different way. I level the scope, loosen the DT clamp a touch, move the scope forward or backwards a little by sliding the DT bar, then tighten the DY clamp again.

I don't do this much though - my mounts have enough tension in their movements to handle modest changes in weight at the focuser end.

Just got an oldie but goldie Vixen GP mount head today to use with my 100-120 fracs. Light but so well made. The Chinese EQ5 might look the same but the difference in manufacturing quality is really obvious when you compare them in any detail. Good Japanese workmanship smile.gif

Should have bought a first gen CG5 like i did in 1997. What a big step down from the SP mounts.

• russell23 likes this

#82 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

There is also the DZ now

#83 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

Should have bought a first gen CG5 like i did in 1997. What a big step down from the SP mounts.

I have two SP mounts.  Perfect for my 80-120mm refractors.  Would definitely handle a 100mm Tak.

#84 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:53 AM

What is the deal with Tak focusers.  The descriptions always leave me confused.  Can any of these models be used with a 2” diagonal out of the box or do you also need to order an adapter?

#85 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:58 AM

What is the deal with Tak focusers. The descriptions always leave me confused. Can any of these models be used with a 2” diagonal out of the box or do you also need to order an adapter?

DF and DL can be, DC needs an optional adapter.
  • 25585 likes this

#86 25585

Cosmos

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

DZ will be as the first 2.

#87 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

It's the Tak tax i guess.

#88 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

It's the Tak tax i guess.

In ST-80 you have to swap the whole focuser for 2” grin.gif

#89 rerun

rerun

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:29 PM

I was looking around the ether and noticed that there is a new piece on Youtube from Doctor "D" talking about Takahashi scopes and the EM11 Temma powered mounts. I have not finished it yet but wow, makes me want to jump off the deep end of the pool. The Doctor is deep and heavy. 

New Takahashi on YouTube 

Thoughts?

Chip

Thank you Chip for this video. Very very intersting , if I did not own a FC100DF,  I would buy one myself.  Even the books he shows were good and I bought me  the 3 volumes of the Celestial Handbook a few month ago. I agree with many think he said .  As a visual observer, the FC100DF is my dreamscope , I am very happy with it .The 45 minutes  went off very fast. Thank you Doctor D waytogo.gif

Thank you for sharing this link to the video , Chip. waytogo.gif

Clear skies Markus 

Edited by rerun, 11 July 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#90 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

What is the deal with Tak focusers.  The descriptions always leave me confused.  Can any of these models be used with a 2” diagonal out of the box or do you also need to order an adapter?

As others have mentioned you do not need an adapter to use a 2" diagonal with a DF or DL (or DZ apparently) but you do need a short tube extender to reach focus with 2" piece eyepieces without a diagonal if you want to look straight through Galileo style, which is how I prefer to view the planets when they are low on the horizon as they are right now.  The Takahashi extender costs about $150 but I got this one for twenty six bucks that seems to work just as well.

As long as we are on focusers, I will also add that the second run DL focusers are two speed focusers and work really well.  I think the first run DL were single speed focusers.  Most of the time I don't need the two speed focuser, but sometimes it comes in handy when using high magnification on planets or the moon. 

#91 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

As others have mentioned you do not need an adapter to use a 2" diagonal with a DF or DL (or DZ apparently) but you do need a short tube extender to reach focus with 2" piece eyepieces without a diagonal if you want to look straight through Galileo style, which is how I prefer to view the planets when they are low on the horizon as they are right now. The Takahashi extender costs about $150 but I got this one for twenty six bucks that seems to work just as well.

My DF came from the factory with the Tak 75 mm (IIRC the length) 2” extender tube for pirate style viewing - no need to purchase it separately. Don’t know about DL.

Edited by Axunator, 11 July 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#92 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

Thank you Chip for this video. Very very intersting , if I did not own a FC100DF,  I would buy one myself.  Even the books he shows were good and I bought me  the 3 volumes of the Celestial Handbook a few month ago. I agree with many think he said .  As a visual observer, the FC100DF is my dreamscope , I am very happy with it .The 45 minutes  went off very fast. Thank you Doctor D waytogo.gif

Thank you for sharing this link to the video , Chip. waytogo.gif

Clear skies Markus 

Hi Markus,

Daniel is a lot of fun to observe with and his brain is full of interesting stuff that is handy and useful while observing. I am considering selling a few scopes to buy a DZ but it goes against my internal structure to break up the band so to speak. I had a C14 loaded in the G11G's saddle the other night and remembered why they are so desirable - and why I have a C11. lol.gif  But the pull to own a 100mm class Takahashi for visual use is very powerful, as powerful as the force exerted by all of the dark matter. 

That said I sold one scope the other day, the first step of the journey... 

Chip

• 25585 likes this

#93 25585

Cosmos

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

DL & DF use the Sky 90 focuser, DC uses the FC76 1.25" focuser that saves cost and weight.

DC is intended as a mainly visual scope. DF was imaging oriented. DL less imaging intent maybe, but being the #1 FC had the 2" focuser too. DZ will I presume have the Sky 90 focuser as well.

"Tak tax" are accessories, including their 2" adaptor for those scopes its not OE with. But true Focuser Tax would be a SI upgrade of any kind.

Save money by passing on a Tak 6x30 finder, which is only straight through, and get tube rings instead of a Tak clamshell.

Edited by 25585, 11 July 2019 - 01:44 PM.

#94 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

My DF came from the factory with the Tak 75 mm (IIRC the length) 2” extender tube for pirate style viewing - no need to purchase it separately. Don’t know about DL.

My DL came with the 75mm long extension tube too, but its not long enough for straight through viewing with two inch eyepieces. Look at the system chart for the FC100DL. For straight through viewing with 2" eyepieces you need both 71L[TKP31112] and 71S[TKA00105] (the short and long extension tubes). The DF system chart also requires two tube extenders for straight through viewing with two inch eyepieces, although it looks like they are recommending a different one for the shorter DF, for which they recommend the 71L that comes with the scope plus the medium length 71[TKP27112] extension tube.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 11 July 2019 - 02:40 PM.

• Axunator likes this

#95 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

Anyone offering the DZ in the US yet??

#96 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

My DL came with the 75mm long extension tube too, but its not long enough for straight through viewing with two inch eyepieces. Look at the system chart for the FC100DL. For straight through viewing with 2" eyepieces you need both 71L[TKP31112] and 71S[TKA00105] (the short and long extension tubes). The DF system chart also requires two tube extenders for straight through viewing with two inch eyepieces, although it looks like they are recommending a different one for the shorter DF, for which they recommend the 71L that comes with the scope plus the medium length 71[TKP27112] extension tube.

I believe you are right, thanks for correcting - I practically always have a diagonal in place and my memory probably tricked me here. I have a vague recollection of trying Nagler 26T5 with just the 75 mm extender and being able to focus, but it’s possible that I had to pull out the EP barrel of the holder somewhat to reach focus.

Edited by Axunator, 11 July 2019 - 03:04 PM.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#97 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

Anyone offering the DZ in the US yet??

Rob, here are two sites. There might be others as well, not sure.

https://www.buyteles...-doublet-201319

https://www.takahash...-refractor.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics