•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Takahashi FC-100 DZ F/8 !

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#251 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

I use DF with GTi on Berlebach Uni tripod. Tripod is rock solid, mount is the weakest link.

With small EPs on the Moon and the planets (T6, Delites, and the like), settle down time is quick when slewing, almost none when focusing.

When doing solar with the Quark, Quark and plossl add over 600g in the back but the magnifications are much lower. Still, more settle down time (but very little) when focusing is detectable.

When in use you can feel that the GTI is the weakest link, when mounting it you can feel it flex. Still, my total configuration with the Quark is bang on the upper limit (5kg). I would not try to put more on it.

With the stock tripod I would not expect similar performance. I have carbon photo tripod and never bothered to put Tak on Azgti with it. Borg I can put on it no problem and it is solid.

If someone can measure DZ with rings and dovetail...that would give you some idea. AzGTi can take 5kg but I reckon it needs a very solid tripod for the experience to be enjoyable.

Edited by BGazing, 29 February 2020 - 12:27 PM.

• Sergey Stern, StarDust1 and Kunama like this

#252 MJB

MJB

Lift Off

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:44 PM

Sergey,

Yeah, for sure not overmounted! Settle down times in no wind conditions seems to be 3 seconds or so. Slewing is smooth with fairly quick settle down, at least it doesn't call attention. I find the focusing so easy to dial in that the induced motion from that is not objectionable to me. I don't have a scale handy at the moment, but published DZ weight is 3.8 kilos. The clamps and rails I have I'd guess at 1.5 kilos - throw in finder, diagonal and eyepiece, call that 500g. So all up estimate 5 and a half kilos. I'm sure it's over the mount rating, but the motors do not seem under strain. We'll see how it holds up.

In any case, I'd like to end up with an Avalon T-pod tripod of some sort, or Berlebach Uni. Maybe an Ioptron AZ Pro. I'm sure those would offer a more solid platform. However, for the price, the AZ-Gti is great fun, and I thought I'd let the wallet cool down some first.  Picking the scope and tripod up with both hands, I'm out the door and into the yard and tracking in 5 minutes. I think grab and go is going to really change my observing habits.

I think the FC-100DZ might lead me in the double-star direction. I'd like to hit a nice list of color-contrast doubles. 

Random note: I find that when the DZ snaps to focus, a telltale is that the faintest stars in the field blink into view. Just in or out of focus, they seem to disappear. I can't recall seeing that in other scopes, or at least never thought about it.

Mike

• coopman, Sergey Stern, mikeDnight and 1 other like this

#253 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:24 AM

Thank you all for the responses and feedback. You guys raised some good points regarding size too. I think a report on the DL, DC, DF, DZ and TSA should be presented together. We already have all the samples in our group. We would have to push towards the planet season not too far out so another extensive review could be shared and also gather various opinions from our group. smile.gif

• RogerLaureys, Doug D., jtpowers and 9 others like this

#254 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:49 AM

Okay, trying to get back on track here after a challenging past several weeks losing my father. I finally built up enough strength to take Tak's all new FC100DZ over to Derek Wong's this last Saturday late evening for some basic preliminary observations. We set the scope up and just let it sit with the focuser tube open for about two hours prior to observation. We used a Tak 2" diagonal and I also brought over Televue's new Apollo 11 eyepiece to use with with the DZ. Seeing peaked to about 7 out of 10 in my estimation so it was good enough to form some opinions. Derek used a 5mm T6 Nagler as well. I should say that this is one of the most unexpected observations for reasons you are about to see. I'll post some notes today for those of you interested.

Hello Daniel,

I feel with you and wish you a lot of strength during this period! My father is 83 years old and I love him much - this is a jouney I don`t like to think about but it will come! So my thoughts are with you and time will heal the pain!

Thanks for all your dedication and information on CN - much appreciated!

All my best  Oliver

#255 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: SW England

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

I'm excited to see what "real life" difference there is between the FC100DC and the new DZ. Over the last five years, my DC has really proven its worth. I've enjoyed using it so much that my observing time increased dramatically, and I've seen things in the DC that I've never seen before in my 40 years at the eyepiece; so it is definitely not going to be the poorer cousin so to speak. 

What intrigues me is the icey view that Daniel reported on. I've used a couple of DL's and thought they deliver a cooler view than the DC, but the DL is apparently warm compared to the DZ.  How these differences will play out in terms of delivering detailed planetary views, time will tell. With Mars putting on a good show this year I should have a good opportunity to really compare the two scopes side by side over an extended period. And although I'm having to sell the DC to partly cover the cost of the new scope, I'm selling it to an observing buddy, so it's staying in the family for the foreseeable future.

Congratulations on the forthcoming DZ Mike smile.gif

You are better placed than many (in terms of observing skills) to judge how the DZ compares with your old DC. I'm still delighted with my DL which I've always felt to be a "cool" scope in terms of tone. My TMB/LZOS 130 F/9.2 is similar to my eye, in terms of tone. Both are "cool" in terms of their looks of course grin.gif

Edited by John Huntley, 08 March 2020 - 11:21 AM.

• mikeDnight, fate187 and 25585 like this

#256 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:21 AM

Well my DC isn't going to my friend after all. He panicked about picking it up because of the virus lockdown, and nothing I said would convince him it could be dropped off without contact. So, I advertised it on AB&S and it sold in under an hour. My beautiful DC is now in the possession of a fine gentleman astronomer in Kent, UK, and he's very happy. UPS collected it and it was shipped across the country in less than 24 hours safe and sound. Gosh it hurt watching it go!  Still, I've under three weeks to wait before my new DZ arrives.  Very few things excite me these days, but I'm genuinely excited about this new scope.

Edited by mikeDnight, 04 April 2020 - 04:06 PM.

• m9x18, Bill Barlow, eros312 and 2 others like this

#257 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:49 AM

Sorry your friend shied away Mike. I have a new-to-me (TV) coming & looking at it for awhile from a distance.

OTAs can be wiped down easily, focusers inside & out need more careful thought. Perhaps a Dettol bath?

Edited by 25585, 04 April 2020 - 07:51 AM.

• mikeDnight likes this

#258 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:05 PM

Well my DC isn't going to my friend after all. He panicked about picking it up because of the virus lockdown, and nothing I said would convince him it could be dropped off without contact. So, I advertised it on AB&S and it sold in under an hour. My beautiful DC is now in the possession of a fine gentleman astronomer in Kent, UK, and he's very happy. UPS collected it and it was shipped across the country in less than wears safe and sound. Gosh it hurt watching it go!  Still, I've under three weeks to wait before my new DZ arrives.  Very few things excite me these days, but I'm genuinely excited about this new scope.

Looking forward to your observations with it Mike.  Be mindful to share your observing reports and sketches with us all! 

Mars is coming! grin.gif

• eros312 and mikeDnight like this

#259 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

Looking forward to your observations with it Mike.  Be mindful to share your observing reports and sketches with us all! 

Mars is coming! grin.gif

I certainly will! In fact I can't wait to let it loose on Mars. smile.gif

• eros312, Tyson M and 25585 like this

#260 25585

Cosmos

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:13 PM

Mike, what magnifications will you test the DZ with to compare with the DC?

#261 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:19 PM

Mike, what magnifications will you test the DZ with to compare with the DC?

Well I really love the Vixen HR's, so I'll run it through the range. The 3.4mm will give me 235X,  The 2.4 = 333X,  The 2mm 400X & 1.6mm = 500X. I've no doubt the DZ will cruise along with the first two, and if the DC is anything to go by it will be quite happy at the two higher powers on lunar and double stars if the seeing is steady. Tak should sell Apo calendars where you can open a little window each day to eat a little chocolate telescope, as you count down to the day of delivery.

• m9x18, fate187, Lookitup and 1 other like this

#262 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:24 PM

Well I really love the Vixen HR's, so I'll run it through the range. The 3.4mm will give me 235X,  The 2.4 = 333X,  The 2mm 400X & 1.6mm = 500X. I've no doubt the DZ will cruise along with the first two, and if the DC is anything to go by it will be quite happy at the two higher powers on lunar and double stars if the seeing is steady. Tak should sell Apo calendars where you can open a little window each day to eat a little chocolate telescope, as you count down to the day of delivery.

I love your case for your HR's.  I was thinking about doing the same after picking up some HR's.  Got my first one, a 2.4mm coming to me soon.

• mikeDnight and 25585 like this

#263 25585

Cosmos

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:22 AM

I would have a Brandon style padded velvet box.

Mike, you need a good case for your DZ as well. I use a S-W 100 ED for my DL which needed a bit of foam trimming. It's adequate anyway. https://www.firstlig...star-100ed.html

• mikeDnight and SpaceX like this

#264 fmasa

fmasa

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:10 AM

A special article on FC-100DZ appears in the May 2020 issue of the Japanese astronomical magazine Temmon Guide.
This article includes the structure of 100DZ and DPAC.

https://www.amazon.c...U_0dCKEbP6SMFQJ

• Disciplus55, 25585 and SpaceX like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics