•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tiny Classic Pics and Observations

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

I'm glad you have clear skies, the only clear night I've had in the last month had lousy seeing.  Nothing recent to report.  And now I'm on a work marathon so it's a good time for the moon to be full.

Rolo, the only time I look at planets with tiny scopes anymore is to help evaluate the optics when they first arrive, or to compare them with others, I never use them to just "observe" from the city anymore.  There's just not enough aperture to really see much detail.  I see sub-3-inch scopes as mostly collectibles, not a serious observing tool, at least from the suburbs.  They need dark skies to pull in the DS stuff- which they can do, but not when fighting light pollution.  That pretty much leaves just doubles.

I think the only other exception anymore is solar and lunar.  Plenty of light for small scopes with those targets.

• rolo, steve t, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#77 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

I'm glad you have clear skies, the only clear night I've had in the last month had lousy seeing.  Nothing recent to report.  And now I'm on a work marathon so it's a good time for the moon to be full.

Rolo, the only time I look at planets with tiny scopes anymore is to help evaluate the optics when they first arrive, or to compare them with others, I never use them to just "observe" from the city anymore.  There's just not enough aperture to really see much detail.  I see sub-3-inch scopes as mostly collectibles, not a serious observing tool, at least from the suburbs.  They need dark skies to pull in the DS stuff- which they can do, but not when fighting light pollution.  That pretty much leaves just doubles.

I think the only other exception anymore is solar and lunar.  Plenty of light for small scopes with those targets.

Yes--they work great on Lunar!  I was starting my moon party (all this week) with the Unitron 50mm (the 105)--waiting for the moon to peak out from clouds. This little thing puts up great views!

lunita.jpg

Edited by pdxmoon, 16 July 2019 - 09:57 AM.

• rolo, steve t, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#78 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:32 PM

Yes--they work great on Lunar!  I was starting my moon party (all this week) with the Unitron 50mm (the 105)--waiting for the moon to peak out from clouds. This little thing puts up great views!

attachicon.gif lunita.jpg

What got me hooked on astronomy was my first time i saw the moon through afriends 50mm Tasco back in the early 70'. I was 8 or 9 and i was blown away!

• steve t, pdxmoon and Bomber Bob like this

#79 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:29 PM

I’ve been wanting a 40mm Unitron for years and just missed one this week on the classifieds! Congratulations to the lucky buyer and I hope you post pictures!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics