•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Linhof

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

What is your experience with the pretty vintage cream colored Lihof tripod for your Questar 3.5 or Quantum 4?
How does/did it perform for you? What about the weight?

Jim

#2 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

My experience is that they're great for this size scope. Linhof made a heck of a tripod. "Original" intended use was 4X5 and larger press cameras and view cameras.

#3 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

The Linhof is a heavy tripod- very nice for Questar. It might be overkill.

For Quantum, you truly need a wedge (which is actually lighter than the Linhof.)  I own Celestron wedge set up and it is rock solid.  The Quantum is designed to be held on the wedge with three bolts that screw into the base of the mount.  There is a 1/4" thread also in the base but  a 1/4" screw  is good fro alt/az only.  I would not rely on a 1/4" to polar align the Quantum.  There's a thread  somewhere where the Quantum baseplate did/could pop-off.

Matt

Edited by Matt Looby, 10 July 2019 - 10:33 AM.

#4 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

Linhof with essential rising center post is heavy but easy to carry with one arm while the 3.5 is in the other hand. Finding the screw hole is squirrelly sometimes but it’s otherwise easy.

Unless a tripod is too heavy to carry it can’t be too heavy. Any vintage era Questar looks just right on a Linhof in my book.

Polar alignment involves setting scope declination to your latitude adjusting the head until the cap is eyeball level and aiming north.

#5 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

My understanding has been that the quantum does not fit on a Celestron wedge and has to have a special wedge which is difficult to find. Am I wrong?

Jim

#6 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

Mine is an original or early Celestron wedge- they are easy to find.  I know the Criterion Wedges work.  

Matt

#7 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:43 AM

Best tripod in town, then and now, for the Questar :cool:

Roberto

get.jpg?insecure
  • Matt Looby and spereira like this

#8 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Certainly is a beautiful tripod. Do you know how old yours is or what time frame these cream colored Linhof were made?
Jim

#9 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:28 AM

Jim

I think it’s an early 60s model. I bought it second hand in Switzerland; it did not come with my 1960 Standard (the one in the picture is a 1992 Duplex, now belongs to Derek Wong). 

I’m no expert on Linhof but there’s a massive following for them amongst photographers. I think this (darker) cream models lasted at least until the late 80s/early 90s when they turned slightly lighter/whiter...or maybe is just darkening because of age?! 

Roberto

Edited by R Botero, 12 July 2019 - 04:26 AM.

#10 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

I took the plunge and have purchased a vintage heavy duty Linhof. Not sure how old it is but it is in excellent condition. I will see if it will work for my Quantum 4 (on the way) which is much heavier than a Questar 3.5. I can always use it in an Alt/Az configuration and, of course, a standard Questar 3.5 in addition to my Field model may be in my future.

Jim

• R Botero likes this

#11 starblue

starblue

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:21 AM

I have a Linhof tripod for my Q3.5, dating back to 1969. It weighs 35 pounds, which is actually heavier than the tripod for my Q7 (which is 30 pounds). It is indeed possible to carry it in one hand--fold the tripod into its most compact position, then pick it up by one leg near its midpoint--it's perfectly balanced there and the legs are stiff enough to not open up on you. Or at least they didn't--after 50 years the legs on mine don't have the stiction they used to, so now I can't carry it as far without the legs starting to separate, but I can still manage short distances with the tripod in one hand and the Questar in its case in the other. (The Q7's tripod, despite being lighter, can't be carried in one hand--there's no place for just one hand to grasp it securely--it *requires* two hands.)

Another thing nice about the Linhof is the rising center post. The scope can be polar aligned, the post cranked up or down to accommodate people of different heights, yet the view in the scope doesn't wobble at all. 

Finally, if you really want to impress people, extend the legs and the center post to their maximum, and the top of the tripod is over 7 feet tall. I've put cameras on the top at star parties to get a (low) "drone's eye" view of the observing field for panoramas or time lapses. Obviously doesn't replace a real drone, but photos taken that way still give a unique perspective on the proceedings.

• Matt Looby likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics