•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Total solar eclipse on film

astrophotography 3d printing
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mr_rax

mr_rax

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

I'll start by thanking all the people posting in this forum; the information was handy to get started in film astrophotography. Although I've been using film for more than 30 years, looking up with the camera is totally different.

This past week we had a total solar eclipse, and I wanted to get it on film. I wanted a large negative, but with a close view of the event, so I ventured into connecting a telescope to a medium format camera. Playing around for some time, I figured that a Celestron C90 had an image circle large enough to cover the whole 6x7 area of a Mamiya RB67. I used a 3D printer (and much testing) to build a joint that connected the telescope and the camera (with fully extended bellows and a macro ring attached) but still allowing me to use the focus knob of the C90.
Both things were attached to an aluminum bar, which was very sturdy, using bolts to secure and do fine alignment of both elements. The 6 Kg. contraption was then locked on a Celestron AVX mount.

Here is the first image I got of the total solar eclipse, using Kodak Portra 400:
https://www.instagra.../p/BzteAj5llnv/

I also used Kodak Tri-X, and E100VS slide, which I still need to scan and, hopefully, I’ll post soon.

• zjc26138, Achernar, Joe F Gafford and 6 others like this

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:23 AM

Congratz on capturing a solar eclipse on film..

It's not always as easy as it sounds...

• mr_rax likes this

#3 Nico_or

Nico_or

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santiago, Chile

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:32 PM

Nice capture, it's the first film photography of the eclipse that I see. Hoping to see the rest of your pictures soon.

Something catch my attention. There's is a well defined halo around the sun, I don't remember seen something like that before. what kind of artifact is it?

• telesonic and mr_rax like this

#4 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

Very nice Image! I made an adapter for my Mamiya RZ lenses to fit on my CCD camera. This may be reverse of yours but the idea the same. I flocked the inside of my adapter to keep stray light from flaring on the image.This may be the cause of those artifacts in the lunar disk. Also using a Mak with all of its surfaces may cause it as well. 

Joe

• mr_rax likes this

#5 mr_rax

mr_rax

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

Congratz on capturing a solar eclipse on film..

It's not always as easy as it sounds...

Thank you. It was quite challenging since I wasn't sure about the exposure times. Plus, I had no shutter! I'm working now on building one that can use a Copal Shutter for exposures shorter than 1 second.

Nice capture, it's the first film photography of the eclipse that I see. Hoping to see the rest of your pictures soon.

Something catch my attention. There's is a well defined halo around the sun, I don't remember seen something like that before. what kind of artifact is it?

Thank you! I believe is a mixture of overexposure and stray rays inside the tube. There is also a slight imperfection in the walls of my tube that might be reflecting some light... something to fix for next year's eclipse :)

Very nice Image! I made an adapter for my Mamiya RZ lenses to fit on my CCD camera. This may be reverse of yours but the idea the same. I flocked the inside of my adapter to keep stray light from flaring on the image.This may be the cause of those artifacts in the lunar disk. Also using a Mak with all of its surfaces may cause it as well. 

Joe

Thanks! Do you (or someone else) know if the C90 Mak be flocked? That can help for next year.

#6 mr_rax

mr_rax

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:47 PM

Here are the results in Kodak Tri-X

https://www.instagra.../p/Bz1Ib75Fro2/

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm working on a longer post with how I connected the Mamiya and the C90, and leave the 3D printer files available for anyone to use/improve.

• Todd N and Nico_or like this

#7 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:46 PM

Thanks! Do you (or someone else) know if the C90 Mak be flocked? That can help for next year.

A simple way of Internal Flocking C90

https://www.youtube....h?v=FPFZbqbjbP0

• mr_rax likes this

#8 mr_rax

mr_rax

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

A simple way of Internal Flocking C90

https://www.youtube....h?v=FPFZbqbjbP0

This is great. I'll try it right away for the Full Moon we will have in a couple of days. Thank you!

#9 pisceskidd

pisceskidd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:41 PM

That is such a captivating photo. Congrats, I think your effort paid off. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, 3d printing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics