•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

edgehd 8 inch.bug problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:22 AM

Hey all.

Yesterday I decided to clean and inspect my new but used es68 28mm ep. Looks great. So decided to inspect everything else.

Well. Looks like there might be a gnat stuck on the inside of the corrector plate.

Those freaking bugs must really move fast. I never leave my scope open any longer than to take a cap off and install a ep, etc.

So. How or what should I do about the GNAT.

THANKS.

#2 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

I'd say "don't worry about it" is likely the best advice.  But if it must go, then the easiest route would be through the fastar opening I'd think.  Roll up an optical tissue and see if you can flick it off.

• stevew likes this

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:39 AM

Don't worry about it.... 

• stevew likes this

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

Yes, the corrector plate is installed with a particular orientation.  You may get rid of the gnat, but

have worse problems.

A gnat would be annoying.  Sorry to hear about it :(

#5 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

Ya. I thought about putting a loop type thing on my air blower though the fastar opening see if it would blow off.

Thanks
  • mclewis1 and NMBob like this

#6 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

My wife - "Stop picking the scab!". Me (keeps picking the scab).

If it bothers you and you have to pick the scab, search here on removing the corrector. There should be marks that will make it easy to reinstall it in the correct orientation. You won't ever notice that gnat while using it, but, well, I usually pick at the scab.

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

While it is not super easy to get the corrector to release the fist time if it has the little silicone beads where the radial screws push up against the corrector, I was under the impression that they stopped using that.  If you scope has it, it can be a little more difficult to get the corrector out, but getting it back into the right orientation is pretty trivially easy.

The first thing to do is with the corrector pointing up, remove the retaining ring and use a piece of masking tape between the front of the corrector and the cell and mark a line so you can get it exact, then use a knife to cut the tape at the gap.

This is the most important step:  Loosen only two of the radial screws and pick any two that are adjacent to one another.  Do not touch the other two screws. Back these two screws out enough that the tips retract into the screw holes.

Now, remove the secondary and using a soft cloth in the hole, pull the corrector in the direction that is toward the center of the two adjacent holes to get it free. Once it moves away from the two remaining screws, it should simply lift out.

Using this method, when you put the corrector in, you align it to the marks on the tape and tighten the two radial screws, this will ensure that the corrector goes back to the exact position it was in before you took it out.

#8 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the removal info. I'm not quite there yet. To much rain to see if it affects anything. Will post as I find out.

Again thanks...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics