•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn (Sort of) on the Night after Opposition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:06 PM

The forecast seemed to be reasonably good for a time last night so I drove to the Naylor Observatory mainly to observe Saturn just past opposition.  At first, the skies were fairly clear and I had a great view of a bright Tiangong-2 pass that almost reached the zenith.  I observed the waxing gibbous Moon and Jupiter with the 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain housed in the French Dome and the Moon through the 14" f/10 Meade SCT in the Weiser Building and took a few afocal iPhone photos.  Unfortunately, clouds began to cover the sky so I went to the Asper Building to check on the satellite weather images, which were not very promising. 

Later on, there was a relatively brief period of partial clearing and I was able to see Saturn for a short time through the 17" scope.  I had wanted to stay to see the GRS transit and two lunar occultations that two fellow ASH members wanted to image but the chances of the skies clearing seem rather low so I went home.

Dave Mitsky

• Calisto2 likes this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:34 AM

Here's one of the mediocre afocal shots of Saturn that I took through the 17" classical Cassegrain.

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn July 10 1 Processed & Cropped.jpg

• ww321q likes this

#3 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:46 AM

Here's an even worse shot of Jupiter, Io, Ganymede, and Europa from right to left.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter July 10 Processed.jpg
  • Jupiter July 10.PNG

• ww321q and Calisto2 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics