•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Semi newbie question Celestron 8-24 Zoom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BobW55

BobW55

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melvin, Michigan (Sanilac County)

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

I just received a Celestron 8-24mm zoom lens.

Is it normal to feel like I need to put my eye right on top of the EP?

I only bought this to get some idea of what range EP's to pair with my ES 102mm.

• erin likes this

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

The Specifications webpage for that eyepiece (  https://www.celestro...m-zoom-eyepiece ) says that the "Eye Relief" is 15mm-18mm.  That's not that close.   Eyecrazy.gif 

#3 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

If your Celestron zoom is like my Meade zoom (and I think it is by the pictures), I think I know what you mean. I think the eyecup is too long. I get the best view with that thing folded down...it just seems to be in the way. If I have the eyecup up, then I have to place my head straight over it and farther out than I would like. It seems to blackout more easily too. 

Maybe folding it down will help you (if you haven’t already)?

#4 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

I have that zoom and I never feel I have to press my eye to the lens.  However, as Erin says, the eye cup is there to help you place your eye at the proper position.  

I find it quite comfortable to use. 

What are you comparing it to?

#5 BobW55

BobW55

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melvin, Michigan (Sanilac County)

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:31 PM

The Specifications webpage for that eyepiece (  https://www.celestro...m-zoom-eyepiece ) says that the "Eye Relief" is 15mm-18mm.  That's not that close.   Eyecrazy.gif

That's what I thought.  Been working with it more, ok views now, just closer that my other EP's.

Just takes getting use to.  Tried the eye cup down.  Found it works better up, when you just feel the eye cup I am dead on.  Now if Jupiter would just get out of the tree.

Thanks

Edited by BobW55, 11 July 2019 - 08:33 PM.

• erin likes this

#6 Frisky

Frisky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:03 PM

You can also take the eyecup off and put it back on upside down. Seems to give you a bit more room.

Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics